Blame it on the Bossa Nova

Posted by: abacus

Blame it on the Bossa Nova - 03/07/11 11:25 AM

Posted for no other reason than I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TusKnRxGjs

Enjoy

Bill
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Blame it on the Bossa Nova - 03/07/11 11:39 AM

Very nice, Bill...I like it too!

What a great sound!

Ian
Posted by: Diki

Re: Blame it on the Bossa Nova - 03/07/11 12:44 PM

Anybody think you can't get this good a sound with an arranger that cost $20,000 less than a Scala?! Or better, TBH... wink
Posted by: leeboy

Re: Blame it on the Bossa Nova - 03/07/11 12:54 PM

OK..Yes, Very nice Bill, Thanks,
Diki,
Yes you can and even better...
A T4 twin will do it. AND there is a set of registrations available to get started wih all that setup stuff. Registick from Yamaha PKO UK. From what I hear the Tyros is better suited for adding pedals than the Korg.

Add pedals if wanted (I will).

It's easy to see how cool it is to have the lower KBD.

I think you can do all that for...say...$4,400 including the pedals. $3,900 without pedals.
The stand can be...well as simple a s 2 tier stand or build a custom cabinet (that's what I'll do, since it will be at home)

OR maybe a PA3X twin?
We'll see.....depends on the PA3X sounds.
If I was a betting man...I would say I'll go T4.

Re: Blame it on the Bossa Nova - 03/07/11 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Diki
Anybody think you can't get this good a sound with an arranger that cost $20,000 less than a Scala?! Or better, TBH... wink

I honestly don't think that's the point Bill was trying to make...I think it was just showing an appreciation of the playing, the registrations, and the arrangement all coming together to make a really nice piece of music...which it was, in my opinion.

Yes, you can do almost the same with a Tyros4 or maybe a Korg, but, I think what we are also seeing is a diminishing art...you yourself must have got a buzz playing just keys and pedals and a simple drum beat, and turning it into something great like the guy did in the video.

Playing the organ like that was a real accomplishment...something like doing solo piano pieces.

Ian

Re: Blame it on the Bossa Nova - 03/07/11 02:17 PM

Ian,
Yes, I agree...it's everything that makes it come together...
Sure wish more would get interested in that again...

Re: Blame it on the Bossa Nova - 03/07/11 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: leeboy
Ian,
Yes, I agree...it's everything that makes it come together...
Sure wish more would get interested in that again...

This looks pretty darn cool, Lee...feast your eyes on this baby!

http://www.rolandconnect.com/product.php?p=at-350c

Styles, and SMF capability...two manuals (nice and close together)...pedals optional.

Of course, it's more organ than synth based, but it does have orchestral type tones as well.

What do you think?

Ian

PS...no pitch bend or mod lever?
Posted by: DonM

Re: Blame it on the Bossa Nova - 03/07/11 05:16 PM

No joystick or PB wheels? No way.
DonM

Re: Blame it on the Bossa Nova - 03/07/11 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: DonM
No joystick or PB wheels? No way.
DonM

It wouldn't work for me either...strange they left off something that important.

Maybe it's pedal activated?

Can't beat the wheel or the bender lever, in my opinion.

Otherwise, a great rig for those primarily wanting an organ based two manual arranger.

Ian

Re: Blame it on the Bossa Nova - 03/07/11 08:03 PM

Ian,
Well, not bad setup..but I thin it's more ogan than arranger...even though it does have some arrangr stuff.....
What we need is a T4 setup this way from Yamaha for the places they dont offer the Stagea.

I want it now!
There...I feel better.
Posted by: abacus

Re: Blame it on the Bossa Nova - 03/08/11 01:11 AM

Hi Lee S
Here are a couple of suggestions

http://www.tyrosorgan.com/index.html

http://orladirect.co.uk/tyros-traditionale-2/ (About £3500 + the Tyros I think)

The 350C is based on the Roland Atelier organ range and is priced at about £3999 excluding pedals.
NOTE: The pedal boards range from £399 for the 13 note PK5, through the 20 note at £1200 and right up to the 25 note full pedal board PK25 at about £2500.

Hi Ian
You are quite correct, musical performance was the reason for posting, (Plus passing on my enjoyment of it to others) and should always be paramount where music is concerned. (The instruments used by any performer are just a means to an end)

Bill

Re: Blame it on the Bossa Nova - 03/08/11 08:48 AM

Bill, Thanks,
I have contacted them and the folks at Organ FAX as well.
I need to find out just exactly what Registick+ adds to T4 and how it works with full organ setup.