YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next?

Posted by: vangelis

YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 02/10/11 12:38 PM

Since the introduction of the YAMAHA PSR-OR700 nothing new has come out, I wish Yamaha would pay more attention to that market and introduce a newer model as often or at least close to the TYROS model, they really did a good job on it but it can improve somewhat, wonder if anyone has any clue when a PSR project like this might actually happen? what's the timeline for the PSR's? every 4 years? 5?
Posted by: George Kaye

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 02/10/11 05:11 PM

I had a conversation with Yamaha Design team just a few months ago. It seems that they are thinking more along the lines of offering an upgrade for the Tyros4 players using new middle eastern voices loaded into the RAM and new styles to go along with these sounds. I don't know what their plan for a replacement for the PSRor700. Unlike the regular line of PSRs which change about every 2 years it seems like Yamaha goes about every 8 years on their middle eastern models. First there was the PSRA3 and then the PSRA1000 and now the PSRor700 which has been out for about 3 years now.
Posted by: J. Larry

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 02/10/11 09:09 PM

I just hope Yamaha will upgrade the S910. I'd spring for its successor sight unseen, but not the Tyros 4. At my age, the T4 is too bulky and heavy to tote on a daily basis. I'm on stairs and elevators gigging daily. Each model right below the Tyros, with its built-in speakers, has fit my needs to a "T". If no upgrade appears, the S910 will work just fine.

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 02/11/11 12:15 AM

George thanks! for the insight, in regards to the Tyros 4 upgrade via a board,it already exists here in GREECE,it's too bad that they upgrade every 8 years, it should be sooner because as we all know there are two main factors that you would buy a PSR and that is price and weight.
Posted by: Bachus

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 02/11/11 02:58 AM

just compare KORG market strategy with Yamaha market startegy that explains why Yamaha is currently marketleader and KORG might be on the vorge of being took over...

Topic on Korgforums

Not that it is true when written on a forum, i know from own experience that some people will beleive anything, but it is very much plausible
Posted by: rolandfan

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 02/15/11 01:14 AM

The s910 replacement is due later this year.
I only hope it retains the indian drum kit
On the s910
Posted by: saxxman

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 02/18/11 07:46 AM

Can't wait to see what's next in the Yamaha bag of tricks! Hope the rumor is accurate and a new S-series comes out this year. Now if they'd just introduce one all decked out in black. smile

Randy
Posted by: Diki

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 02/18/11 12:42 PM

You play outside much, Randy? Black, down here in Florida, is the WORST color for a keyboard. Unless you are looking to cook lunch on it during the breaks!
Posted by: Dnj

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 02/18/11 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Diki
You play outside much, Randy? Black, down here in Florida, is the WORST color for a keyboard. Unless you are looking to cook lunch on it during the breaks!

Talk about outside HOT? that Korg Kronos Aluminum body should sizzle outside in direct sun.....I know years ago my metal Korg M1 did and conked out a few times also at poolside gigs.

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 02/18/11 01:30 PM

Basically, it doesn't matter WHAT color they are, once they are in direct Florida sunshine... Just that black speeds up the process!

I have only had a couple of occasions where I simply could NOT get any shade at all on a gig, and all presented problems. My only solution was covering the entire keyboard except the keys with a beach towel, which obviously made for quite a job getting to the buttons!

And one time, during a setup, I got I think no more than two or three minutes' direct noon sun on the display of my G70. It went totally black, and needed taking inside and cooling down in A/C before it (thank God!) came back right as rain...
Posted by: saxxman

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 02/18/11 03:33 PM

Yes, you're right about the temps! Fortunately I don't do hardly any outside gigs w/the keyboard or if I do I try to get under an awning. I did play 30 sax solo weddings last summer and 90% of them were in scorching FL sun being reflected off our (then anyway!) ultra white beaches. I don't think the wedding parties nearly appreciate what I go through as I am out there an hour before the ceremony setting up my Crate amp and then playing 30 minutes before the ceremony...and after they're done the formal thing I always stick around and play 30-45 minutes for their photo sessions. I end up sweating off a week's weight gain in a 2-hour wedding gig on the beach. Diki's right - shade is at a premium and the number one concern when you're stuck out there! I am considering putting a large umbrella (a white one!) in my beach buggy for this year's gigs! Just need to cook up a way to anchor it.... smile

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 02/18/11 03:51 PM

Big water dispenser... Fill it up at the beach, tie the umbrella to it (an eye hook works good), empty it at the end of the gig. Takes a hell of a storm to pick it up!
Posted by: Dnj

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 02/18/11 04:47 PM

I don't play outside without one of these.

http://www.canopycenter.com/?Source=googleaw&kwid=portable%20canopy&tid=Exact

some sorth of Sun protection is always stipulated in my contracts provided by the client on any outside job period.

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 02/18/11 08:11 PM

Same here, but sometimes things don't work out!

One of the problems with tents like that is, unless the sun is directly overhead, they provide limited coverage for the gear anyway, and often venues don't have room (or want you) to move them around much as the sun progresses. They are real handy for sudden shower protection (to a degree), but often can be a hassle on daytime gigs longer than an hour or so.

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 03/02/11 12:46 PM

Well, we got off the subject here, anyhow, after getting deeper into looking at the Yamaha PSR-OR700 I retract my opinion of Yamaha doing a good job, other than a few hand full of styles, I would rather go with a PA500 than this, I haven't seen such cheap plastic which remind me of many toys that I see at the stores, nothing in regards to solo voices on the right hand or drums or nothing, put a PA500 next to it and the 500 really shines, hands down, now I know why KORG sells so many keyboards not just a good price but they have all together the whole package.
Posted by: rolandfan

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 03/03/11 01:06 AM

The s910 is the yamaha keyboard that can beat the
Korg pa500 and pa800. Imagine how good the next
Generation s series will be
Posted by: montunoman

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 03/03/11 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: rolandfan
The s910 is the yamaha keyboard that can beat the
Korg pa500 and pa800. Imagine how good the next
Generation s series will be

Yes, but what good is it if it does not have the styles that one needs?
Posted by: leeboy

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 03/03/11 06:23 AM

Bachus,
You kidding me...The Korg is the huge leader in Mid-Eastern market.
Turkey alone keeps the factory busy.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 03/03/11 07:28 AM

In 1987, shortly before the release of the M1 Music Workstation, Yamaha acquired a controlling interest in Korg's stock. The takeover of the company was amicable, and the two companies continued to independently develop their product lines and compete in the marketplace. After the following 5 very successful years, Korg had enough money to rebuy most of the Yamaha share back in 1993.

Maybe they need rescuing again?

Ian
Posted by: leeboy

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 03/03/11 10:00 AM

Why?
IMHO, They do need some big chnges in their marketing dept.

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 03/03/11 12:10 PM

The product is fine, but yes, the marketing department needs firing, and replacing with Yamaha personnel... wink

Turkey sounds good, this time of year for you, doesn't it, Ian? smile

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 03/03/11 12:16 PM

The product is fine, but yes, the marketing department needs firing, and replacing with Yamaha personnel... wink

Turkey sounds good, this time of year for you, doesn't it, Ian? smile

Turkey only sounds good to me with mashed potatoes, gravy, dressing and cranberry sauce.

Ian

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 03/03/11 12:17 PM

No couscous? wink

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 03/03/11 12:42 PM

No couscous? wink

Hey, living in the Maritimes, raised in the wilds of Cape Breton Island, and after a steady diet of overcooked baloney and lobster blood, couscous might be a tad bland...

They couldn't pay me enough to leave this place.
Ian

Re: YAMAHA PSR-OR700 what's next? - 03/03/11 01:47 PM

Loved the pictures of your house (mind you, that shot of it buried in snow is a caution!)... I can't say I blame you!