A most unusual week...

Posted by: travlin'easy

A most unusual week... - 12/29/10 05:16 PM

For the first time in many, many years I didn't have to play Christmas Day. It was really nice to do nothing for a change. The kids were here Christmas Eve, my grandson was overloaded with presents from Grandma, and shortly after dinner they were on their way home.

The day after Christmas the schedule was back to hectic, couple private parties, some NH and assisted living jobs, etc..the usual stuff.

In order to keep my sanity, and prevent the repetitiveness from becoming boring, I try to add some new songs to the show every week. I've been doing this for many years and not only does it keep the performances fresh, but additionally, the audiences seem to enjoy the new songs as well.

This past week, one of the new additions is a song that I wasn't sure would be accepted on the NH/assisted living circuit--Black Velvet. Boy was I wrong. They loved it! It's hard to conceive 80-year-olds tapping their feet and clapping their hand to Black Velvet, but that's exactly what happened. To top it off, there was an elderly lady sitting just 10 feet from me who was singing the song. After I finished she said "I love that song--I used to sing it all the time when I was in a blues band in Baltimore."

Cheers,

Gary
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: A most unusual week... - 12/29/10 05:39 PM

Gary, I'm sure if you sung the telephone book with your voice and charisma, the crowd would of loved it.

Congratulations and Happy New Year!

p.s. I'm always amazed at the songs some people love that I assume they wouldn't. That leads me to bring up my "continued" resolution for 2011; to not make pre-judgements and keep and open mind.

Re: A most unusual week... - 12/29/10 06:38 PM

My buddy Joe Ayala (Songman55)does Mustang Sally at an assisted living facility, they love it, and when he does the Ride Sally Ride segment they all chime in. I seriously doubt that anyone in that place is under 80 years of age. You just never know what is going to work.

Cheers,

Gary
Posted by: Dnj

Re: A most unusual week... - 12/29/10 06:39 PM

Gary as usual I'm sure you rocked the house.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqMR7c0UScs

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-29-2010).]
Posted by: zuki

Re: A most unusual week... - 12/29/10 08:16 PM

Doesn't surprise me

There's something weird about 80 year olds singing along when I do "Light My Fire". Never ceases to amaze me how rock oriented I can be allowed in certain places.
Posted by: DonM

Re: A most unusual week... - 12/30/10 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
My buddy Joe Ayala (Songman55)does Mustang Sally at an assisted living facility, they love it, and when he does the Ride Sally Ride segment they all chime in. I seriously doubt that anyone in that place is under 80 years of age. You just never know what is going to work.

Cheers,

Gary

I just about always do Mustang Sally at NH jobs. After all, it came out in the 60's. If you were in your late 20's or 30's then, you would be getting pretty old now.
Most of the ORIGINAL Glen Miller fans are gone now.
DonM

Re: A most unusual week... - 12/30/10 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Most of the ORIGINAL Glen Miller fans are gone now.DonM

????????????????????????????????????????

Helllo??????
Posted by: DonM

Re: A most unusual week... - 12/30/10 09:11 AM

Sorry Donny, you weren't dancing to GM when you were in high school. I'm a fan myself, but it's not the music I grew up with. That was Elvis, Chuck, Fats, Little Richard, Jerry Lee, etc.
In high school band I did learn to play and appreciate the Big Band stuff though, but it was already 25 or 30 years old at that time.
DonM

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 12-30-2010).]

Re: A most unusual week... - 12/30/10 09:27 AM

Don......
Big band 30-40's standards are always a sure bet......I grew up with 50-60's Doo Wop, R&R, Hard Rock & Woodstock too.. but thats what I listen to in my car...
As a club/show/wedding band player for so many years previously...now a Ballroom/Social dance geared player Variety is the key always....but now for me on my gigs if you can't Dance to it & it don't fill the dance floor for 4 hours I don't do it.
We all do it different, & I can rock with the best of them as you well know...but business is business.

Happy New Year!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 12-30-2010).]

Re: A most unusual week... - 12/30/10 09:41 AM

A decade ago, 34s 40s bandstands were packing the dancefloors in my area, but that's no longer the case. Now it's late 50s, 60s and 70s stuff that seems to work best. Of course, much of this will depend upon the age and preferences of your audience.

Cheers,

Gary

Re: A most unusual week... - 12/30/10 01:44 PM

I rarely post songs on any forum, but DonM and a few others asked if I would post my version of Black Velvet, which differs somewhat, obviously, from the original. (She sings better than me.) I posted the song on the PSR-Tutorial site with comments on the recording technique used. You'll find it HERE

Gary
Posted by: 124

Re: A most unusual week... - 12/30/10 07:21 PM

Gary, I went to your link but couldn't get the song to play.

Re: A most unusual week... - 12/31/10 07:16 AM

124, give this a try. http://www.box.net/shared/fl6ls12afx

Gary

Re: A most unusual week... - 12/31/10 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
124, give this a try. http://www.box.net/shared/fl6ls12afx

Gary

Both links worked fine for me Gary.