Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/14/10 08:54 AM

UPS Delivery

Setup

Play

Scott Yee Entertainment
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/14/10 09:04 AM

I know hes excited .....
but why didn't he TIP the UPS driver?.....
Posted by: Diki

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/14/10 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I know hes excited .....

"Logistics"?

Perhaps for working for a corporation that bastardized a genuine Italian/American classic...?
Posted by: spalding1968

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/14/10 02:52 PM

it looks beautifull and i can sense the guys excitement. Thats a real treat !
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/14/10 03:50 PM

Got to admire the way Ken was able to hold back his emotional excitement all the way up until the UPS guy left, and then finally able to let out that wild scream! This video is so deja vu as it brings back how I felt & acted the day my Tyros2 arrived too.

Scott
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/14/10 05:20 PM

I should have my demo Tyros4 in a few weeks...almost like waiting for Santa.

Thanks for the video, Scott...you could feel their excitement.

The Tyros2 did it for me, too...the Tyros3 a little less so, but still really nice.

Ian
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/14/10 05:29 PM

Thanks for the links, Scott. I enjoyed watching them.

Gary
Posted by: Kingfrog

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/14/10 06:08 PM

Quote:
I know hes excited .....

Perhaps becasue the UNION UPS driver can earn well over $100,000.00 cash and benfits a year?
Posted by: rattley

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/14/10 07:03 PM

My Tyros4 should be delivered next Tuesday! Maybe I will tip the UPS Driver!!!! -charley

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/14/10 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Perhaps becasue the UNION UPS driver can earn well over $100,000.00 cash and benfits a year?

Yea and have no life working so manny hours also.....

so you saying you only tip poor people?...hate to be a waiter at your table....

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-14-2010).]
Posted by: Tony Hughes

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/14/10 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
UPS Delivery

Setup

Play

Scott Yee Entertainment

I would need to shoot your cameraman, it made me feel sick watching it, it was like a bad holiday video, UPS man played the best part. Is the T4 still made from plastic? Don't think any speaker are left and right hand, just headphones.
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/14/10 09:36 PM

Quote:
I know hes excited .....

Tip the UPS driver??????? I can't tell if you're joking or serious. I've never, ever heard of anyone doing that. A Christmas card with a few bucks in it for the post man maybe, but never UPS, FedEx, ect.

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/14/10 09:51 PM

Quote:
Yea and have no life working so manny hours also.....

so you saying you only tip poor people?...hate to be a waiter at your table....

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-14-2010).]

LOL Indeed...Isn't that the Obama way....Keep from those that have and give to those that don't. Spread the wealth and all that.

Actually I have never heard of tipping a UPS driver whether Living in San Diego,LA Branson, Las Vegas or South Carolina...No one ever mentioned tipping a UPS driver. My uncle is a retired mailman...He never heard of tipping a UPS driver...in fact he said he got a few tips around the holidays.... Do you tip the mailman everyday? He does the same thing under much rougher circumstances and for less money....... Hell I leave 20% at buffets for the water bearers. But no I don;t tip UPS drivers. Never heard of it.

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/14/10 10:01 PM

I tip everyone...why not....Im old school..
what goes around ....comes around..
Posted by: trident

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/14/10 10:59 PM

Quote:
I know hes excited .....

OMG that's what i thought too...
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by trident:

OMG that's what i thought too...

This has got me scratching my head. I'm thinking Donnie's family came from Italy and trident is from Greece. Is this an "old world" custom brought over to the US maybe? Nothing wrong with it of course, I just never was exposed to this. Not all that important either, but just raised my curiosity a bit.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 03:57 AM

First -- Thank You Scott Yee, another great idea, very touching. You made me smile and I got that old feeling – “I wonder if I should buy one”. The delivery of a new keyboard is one the most exciting experiences I have had. It’s like, “Dad’s new toy”.

Second – Only here on this forum can someone post something special and have half the people post their thoughts on a second subject almost not related. I guess if you lighten up there is some humor there.

John C.

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
This has got me scratching my head. I'm thinking Donnie's family came from Italy and trident is from Greece. Is this an "old world" custom brought over to the US maybe? Nothing wrong with it of course, I just never was exposed to this. Not all that important either, but just raised my curiosity a bit.

My comment timing was right after Diki, I don't know what happened and it went in so late.

Monday morning I received a parcel and it was so early that i barely had the time to put some clothes on and sign the papers. The man carried it all the way to the 3rd floor where I live. It was not heavy at all, but in the confusion I forgot to tip him and I had it in my conscience. During the video, when I realized he didn't tip him, I thought of the Monday guy. Thank god Scott's friend was on the ground floor!.

As a matter of fact I tip people bringing parcels and such, but not the mailman (we actually have a "mailwoman" ). My parents and other old folks tip the mailman when he brings their pension. In fact, I have a cousin who used to be a part-time mailman, and he said that they used to fight over who was going to do the rounds in the early days of the month when pensioners received their pensions, because the tips summed up in a considerable amount. Most people here do it, apart from el cheapo bastards. I have argued with a friend and his wife, because they didn't tip the pizza man, following a flawed logic of "I don't get tips at my work, so I don't tip. She was a teacher, he a computer network expert.

Apart from tipping, when you receive a parcel with a "toy" you ordered (I mean a "Dad's toy" not "Yamaha=plastic=toy") it is Christmas all over again, I can relate to the guy in the video jumping up and down in joy.
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 04:43 AM

I enjoyed the young chaps excitement, but I couldn't help but notice the severe lack of decent furniture in their house???

He can spend $4500.00 on a new keyboard, but not on living room or bedroom furniture????

I guess it's all about priorities!

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 05:12 AM

Quote:

Musicians put out a tip jar on a gig.....
so why not tip the UPS man or whomever provides a service you choose?
I cant stand cheap ass people.

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I enjoyed the young chaps excitement, but I couldn't help but notice the severe lack of decent furniture in their house???

He can spend $4500.00 on a new keyboard, but not on living room or bedroom furniture????

In danger of sounding like a broken record, I thought about it too, couldn't voice it though. House seems very poor in contrast to the Tyros.
Posted by: hitman

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 05:38 AM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

In danger of sounding like a broken record, I thought about it too, couldn't voice it though. House seems very poor in contrast to the Tyros.

You two gotta be kidding!
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the purpose of the videos is to share the excitment about a new keyboard. I was never under the impression that KEN was seeking critiques about the furniture in HIS home. You guys could at least pretend to be polite!

I am sorry, but this just pisses me off. Comments like this make it clear why people don't post more videos with their music.

[This message has been edited by hitman (edited 10-15-2010).]
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 07:16 AM

Quote:
Tip the UPS driver??????? I can't tell if you're joking or serious. I've never, ever heard of anyone doing that. A Christmas card with a few bucks in it for the post man maybe, but never UPS, FedEx, ect.

Me either. I think tipping has gotten ridiculous in this country. What happened to just doing your job? Certain services seem to rely on it but not just regular jobs.
Posted by: Beakybird

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 08:44 AM

How asinine, commenting on the guy's furniture. The video is essentially inviting you into the guy's house. Is that how you behave when you go into someone's home? - criticizing their furniture? Pleeeez!

I'm super happy for Ken! I wish I had more $$, and I would be ordering the T4 too.

Beakybird
Posted by: spalding1968

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 08:44 AM

if the guy earned his money honestly he can spend it anyway he wants. He said in the video that he would keep this keyboard for at least 5 years. How many on here do that ?

I know if i wanted a keyboard so bad i would buy it over a new car , over a new carpet etc. Some of us have completely forgotten the passion that we used to feel when we made music. I can identify with this guys excitement and i just know he will do more with that Tyros than many of us here have done with the half dozen keyboards we have bought in as many years.

[This message has been edited by spalding1968 (edited 10-15-2010).]
Posted by: leeboy

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 08:48 AM

I think oppologies are in order for that terrible comment about his furniture...

It would be nice to think before posting?

Lee S.

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 08:52 AM

I've got MORE respect for someone that gets the best musical equipment and worries less about furniture, not the other way round!

Shows you where someone's true priorities lie (and some of the posters here, too! )...

Kudos, Scott!
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 09:54 AM

Oh great. All of a sudden all the high and mighty come out of the woodwork expressing outrage for someone who makes an honest observation not derogatory in any way, and then most of you in some other thread will probably cut the legs out from under someone who purchases a keyboard or expresses an opinion different from yours.

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 10:33 AM

I too think that commenting on the guys furniture is not exactly politically correct, so I held on and didn't post it. (The first time).

Sorry if i stepped on your toes guys, but when you are in the public domain, you get criticized. Either for your lack of playing skills, or for your lack of social skills, or for your asinine remarks, or for lack of furniture etc. Please note that the furniture comment is about the CONTRAST between the $4,500 instrument vs the furniture, not about the furniture itself. I grew up on the medium to poor side, but what we have, are at the same level. Here in Greece, you get many people living in the equivalent of tin houses with dirty kids and at the same time having a Mercedes or a BMW parked outside, and no money to fill it up. I have a 2001 Hyundai Accent and the musical equivalent, a Casio bought in 1994. Feel free to tell me about my car and my keyboard.

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 12:56 PM

Quote:
Oh great. All of a sudden all the high and mighty come out of the woodwork expressing outrage for someone who makes an honest observation not derogatory in any way, and then most of you in some other thread will probably cut the legs out from under someone who purchases a keyboard or expresses an opinion different from yours.

Well yeah you do have a point there.......Its ok to trash another's very personal opinion and choices of tools they use for their passion in life......but "gwatdammit" lay off the furniture? LOL

Oh the humanity.......

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 01:23 PM

Yeah... what he say!

There's a couple of REALLY touchy sofas lurking here from time to time, so be careful what you offend!
Posted by: Bill in Dayton

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 02:14 PM

Congrats on the guy's new T4...

Its a reach to start critiquing the misc. items that also show up in the videos. (What? No comments on the guys haircuts? How about that kid...he was eating something, right? Let's kick those things around for a while, ok?)

Tipping a person who provides a service is a kind and generous act. I don't know if its ever really wrong to do it.

That said to infer that people who don't tip as another might is a "cheap ass" is ridiculous...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 02:17 PM

Waiters and bartenders expect tipping over here in the US because the law allows their employers to pay well less than minimum wage, their tips being an expected part of their income.

UPS drivers, OTOH, do quite well without our help!

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 02:20 PM

UPS drivers make a lot more than any musician/entertainer I know.

Gary
Posted by: Taike

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 02:36 PM

Excerpt from http://blogs.payscale.com/ask_dr_salary/2007/04/no_college_requ.html

There are options for young people who choose to skip college. One career choice would be working for UPS. If you enjoy driving, sitting and light lifting, UPS drivers’ salaries typically are $24.69 an hour, per the UPS web site at pressroom.ups.com; which also states, "UPS drivers (and part-time employees) receive full health benefits including medical, dental and eye care."

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
to infer that people who don't tip as another might is a "cheap ass" is ridiculous...

and I was being nice

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
UPS drivers, OTOH, do quite well without our help!

"And the piano sounds like a carnival
And the microphone smells like a beer
And they sit at the bar
and put bread in my jar
And say "Man, what are you doin' here?"

------- Billy Joel

Think about it next time your jar is empty.....spread the wealth.

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 06:31 PM

Quote:
"And the piano sounds like a carnival
And the microphone smells like a beer
And they sit at the bar
and put bread in my jar
And say "Man, what are you doin' here?"

------- Billy Joel

Think about it next time your jar is empty.....spread the wealth.

Thankfully I don't work on commission and I never played or performed music for tips. I worked under contract and was paid as such. on the other hand my wife does. however she makes sure the tips are ancillary and not mandatory to her get her price.

A senior UPS driver can earn $139K a year in Salary and benefits. Take it from me...They don't need your $20 tip, nor do the expect it. Give to the poor, tip street musicians servers, and even the dealer, as well as those who play your requests in the Tavern......Throw the mailman and Waste collector a Christmas gift.....If you are going to give away money which is a good thing...Give to those truly in need. I don;t know a Teamster truly in need.....Even tip the FED EX contracted driver....I can even understand that.

[This message has been edited by Kingfrog (edited 10-15-2010).]

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 06:42 PM

Thats Bullshit ...I tipped my doctor....and the freakin pilot when I get off a plane for a safe flight....need it or not is that thought that counts & all about respect.
Posted by: zuki

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beakybird:
How asinine, commenting on the guy's furniture. The video is essentially inviting you into the guy's house. Is that how you behave when you go into someone's home? - criticizing their furniture? Pleeeez!

Beakybird

I remember early in our marriage we were in an apartment. I had a B-3 and PA and came home from the music store with a synthesizer. My wife was furious and made me take it back. Well, since then, we've owned 8 homes, so times goes on............

Happiness trumps everything, as it appears about everyone in this video.

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 06:46 PM

You gotta be like JIMMY CONWAY !!

Fugettabouttit!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdbN2RiWKUQ&feature=related

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 07:41 PM

Quote:
Thats Bullshit ...I tipped my doctor....and the freakin pilot when I get off a plane for a safe flight....need it or not is that thought that counts & all about respect.

Somehow I think it's you seeking the "approval and respect" and are willing to pay anyone and everyone for it....LOL

Ah false nobility.....gotta Love it.

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Somehow I think it's you seeking the "approval and respect" and are willing to pay anyone and everyone for it....LOL

Ah false nobility.....gotta Love it.).]

I guess we all have our downfalls in life eh?.......I always say what goes around comes around.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-15-2010).]

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/15/10 08:21 PM

Quote:

I guess we all have our downfalls in life eh?.......I always say what goes around comes around.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-15-2010).]

Paying for Karma......Hmmmmmmmm. LOL So i am guessing if the plane crashes...no tip for the pilot? Perhaps one should toss a few bucks into the cockpit before the flight....just to make sure.

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/16/10 10:11 PM

I ALWAYS tip a musician BEFORE he plays a request... That way, I am guaranteed no clams, and he knows all the words..!
Posted by: arranger_yes_pc_no

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/20/10 09:15 AM

well done Scottyee

just curious, would you say you make a living as a one man band entertainer only?

would you say that it's very important to be in the San Francisco Bay Area?

thanks & have lots of fun with your new fantastic keyboard

[This message has been edited by arranger_yes_pc_no (edited 10-20-2010).]
Posted by: arranger_yes_pc_no

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/20/10 09:20 AM

Quote:

Musicians put out a tip jar on a gig.....
so why not tip the UPS man or whomever provides a service you choose?
I cant stand cheap ass people.

can't believe the bullshit and negative crap that people are posting here...I can see why the OP isn't even replying.

Grow up....you and your ridicolous tips about tips. Tipping a courier? a doctor?

Yeah you need another doctor for sure....

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/20/10 09:35 AM

Putting someone down for not tipping UPS is way out line, especially calling them a cheap ass. That is downright boorish.

Beakybird
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/20/10 01:21 PM

Been playing in clubs and restaurants for 55 years and have refused to use a tip jar the entire time. It's just a thing with me. I feel the jar, bowl...whatever, looks cheap, and I should gladly play requests as part of the job.

Of course, the horse farm owners often put $100.00 bills in my pocket, and I don't rush to return them (LOL)!

Then there were the times drunks stuffed bills into my drink glass and I tried to drink them (in a less than totally sober state)!

Most working musicians I know are aware of how hard service people work and are more generous than the average customer.

Then there's my doctor. I don't tip her with cash...I send her flowers.

But, hey, SHE'S HOT!

Russ (can't wait to get sick again...COUGH...COUGH) Lay

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/20/10 03:42 PM

My UPS driver Ken delivers stuff to me all the time. Yesterday he delivered my Tyros4. I told him about this post and asked him how often he gets tipped. He said he does get offered tips, but refuses them. Deliveries are what he does. No tip necessary. He wouldn't take one from me but is coming over this weekend to check out my Tyros4. I think I have a keyboard lurker here.................. -charley

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/20/10 03:49 PM

So Charly right out of the box what how would you describe the differences between the T3/T4.....was it worth the upgrade.....?
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/20/10 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by arranger_yes_pc_no:

would you say that it's very important to be in the San Francisco Bay Area?

Definitely! I love this place. I'm a native Californian afterall.

Quote:
Originally posted by rattley:
He wouldn't take one from me but is coming over this weekend to check out my Tyros4. I think I have a keyboard lurker here.................. -charley

Hi Charley, thanks for the positively refreshing ending to bring this thread back to arr keyboards & music, and away from divisive comments raised imo to simply and 'for no other reason' to incite conflict & divert attention away from the originally intended thread topic. Charley, in addition to your Tyros4 feedback, I'd be interested to learn if Tyros4 &/or arranger keyboards (in general) wins over your UPS deliveryman (kb musician?) too. Scott

Scott Yee Entertainment

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 10-20-2010).]
Posted by: mr9000

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/21/10 09:50 AM

Quote:
House seems very poor in contrast to the Tyros.

I reckon it time to pop in another slice of peach flavoured trident gum,something sticks like the cats ass's litter box..total low blow in the nuggies area!
Posted by: Tony Hughes

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/21/10 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by leeboy:
I think oppologies are in order for that terrible comment about his furniture...

It would be nice to think before posting?

Lee S.

I agree Lee I think it was disgusting to even mention it, how about lets see his freaking furniture, snobby B........d.

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/21/10 06:03 PM

For those who have asked...................

Yes, I immediately noticed a sonic difference with Tyros4. I was playing my Tyros3 when the new board was delivered, I set them up side by side with the MS02 speakers on Tyros3 and MS04 speakers on Tyros4. The Tyros4 was noticeably crisper and each instrument in the accompianment had better definition. The stereo effect seemed wider and even softer instruments were heard in the mix. Later I want to try the MS04's on Tyros3 to see if the speakers are an improvement.

I only use the MS02's as monitors the few times each year I play out. Normally my Tyros's are hooked up to my Onkyo receiver thru KLH 15" tower speakers. Upon connecting Tyros4 I immediately noticed how much more treble was coming from Tyros4 than tyros3 ever did. I turned down the high frequencies on the receiver for now. Later I want to fiddle with Tyros4's EQ and Compressor settings.

As for the sounds.........I love "some" of the vocal voices. The choir voices are lovely. The vocal backgrounds in the Beach Boys Styles are awesome. Some of the vocals in some 50s styles are very nice too. However.....Most of the "scat" and doo-wop stuff drives me nuts!! I didn't like them in the demos and can't stand them now. I hear a lot of folks asked for those voices and Yamaha complied, but they are not for me! Big deal.........There's a lot of voices on Tyros2 and 3 I never liked either. There's plenty of new voices that make up for thes I dislike. I LOVE the new Guitars. The new SA violins are superb. The Xylophone and Sweet Vibrophone aren't even SA voices and they sound wonderful. The most realistic I've heard. Did I mention the guitars are excellent? hehe.......
I like most of the new strings. They are very sensitive to your keyboard technique and it takes some concentration to keep them sounding real in a long musical passage. Many of the voices are this way. I might want to check the touch settings, but I kinda like them the way they are now. I like the piano's, but I never had a real problem with the ones on Tyros3. I guess I'm not a piano man..............

All in all I'm happy I bought this board, but I am a Yamaha fan for 35 years so I am not disappointed. I gonna be having lots of fun revoicing older styles and midi's I have from older boards. I've already started revoicing some of those god-awful Doo-wop voices out of the onboard styles. They're very easy to remove. I also noticed that Yamaha more carefully chose right hand voices 2 and 3. Even if only voice 1 is turned on, you can turn it off and use voice 2 and/or 3 and the voice is well chosen for the style and best yet........the volume is set right too. I always disliked this on Tyros2 and 3.

Well.........enough praise for a Yamaha product here. I wouldn't want to be banned! Thanks for asking. -charley

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/21/10 06:12 PM

Charley nice review of the T4......
do you sing? if so how is the new VH2?

enjoy

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/21/10 06:39 PM

No I don't sing..............but I still want to try out the new VA2. I think I can coax some co-workers to sing at upcoming parties at work. I nees to get familiar with it. It was only a toy on Tyros2 and 3 to me. I've read that VA2 can help a bad singer sound good? We'll see.........-charley

I almost forgot. My Tyros3 is listed on eBay. Lots of email questions today, but no bids yet.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260680971456&_trksid=p2762.l1259

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/21/10 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rattley:
For those who have asked...................

Yes, I immediately noticed a sonic difference with Tyros4. I was playing my Tyros3 when the new board was delivered, I set them up side by side with the MS02 speakers on Tyros3 and MS04 speakers on Tyros4. The Tyros4 was noticeably crisper and each instrument in the accompianment had better definition. The stereo effect seemed wider and even softer instruments were heard in the mix. Later I want to try the MS04's on Tyros3 to see if the speakers are an improvement.

I only use the MS02's as monitors the few times each year I play out. Normally my Tyros's are hooked up to my Onkyo receiver thru KLH 15" tower speakers. Upon connecting Tyros4 I immediately noticed how much more treble was coming from Tyros4 than tyros3 ever did. I turned down the high frequencies on the receiver for now. Later I want to fiddle with Tyros4's EQ and Compressor settings.

As for the sounds.........I love "some" of the vocal voices. The choir voices are lovely. The vocal backgrounds in the Beach Boys Styles are awesome. Some of the vocals in some 50s styles are very nice too. However.....Most of the "scat" and doo-wop stuff drives me nuts!! I didn't like them in the demos and can't stand them now. I hear a lot of folks asked for those voices and Yamaha complied, but they are not for me! Big deal.........There's a lot of voices on Tyros2 and 3 I never liked either. There's plenty of new voices that make up for thes I dislike. I LOVE the new Guitars. The new SA violins are superb. The Xylophone and Sweet Vibrophone aren't even SA voices and they sound wonderful. The most realistic I've heard. Did I mention the guitars are excellent? hehe.......
I like most of the new strings. They are very sensitive to your keyboard technique and it takes some concentration to keep them sounding real in a long musical passage. Many of the voices are this way. I might want to check the touch settings, but I kinda like them the way they are now. I like the piano's, but I never had a real problem with the ones on Tyros3. I guess I'm not a piano man..............

All in all I'm happy I bought this board, but I am a Yamaha fan for 35 years so I am not disappointed. I gonna be having lots of fun revoicing older styles and midi's I have from older boards. I've already started revoicing some of those god-awful Doo-wop voices out of the onboard styles. They're very easy to remove. I also noticed that Yamaha more carefully chose right hand voices 2 and 3. Even if only voice 1 is turned on, you can turn it off and use voice 2 and/or 3 and the voice is well chosen for the style and best yet........the volume is set right too. I always disliked this on Tyros2 and 3.

Well.........enough praise for a Yamaha product here. I wouldn't want to be banned! Thanks for asking. -charley

I heard the Real brush drum demo. How is the "Real" regular kit?

Thanks for the revue!

I hope the successor to the S910 doesn't have the overcompressed sound that more than a handful of people who've played the T3 have made complaints about.

I guess I'm interested in hearing about the T4, because it is a harbinger of what I'll get on my mid-range keyboard in 5-6 years. Hopefully, the successor to the S910 will get the improved vocalizer which is long overdue - the same vocalizer as the one on the PSR2000, PSR2100, PSR3000, and PSR-S900. By the time that keyboard comes out it will be 10 years that the midrange keyboard has the same vocalizer.

Beakybird

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/21/10 07:02 PM

Charley,

Great review. I knew you would among the early birds getting a T4, and from all the demos I've watched, I was sure you would love what you heard.

Great to hear from you old friend, and if I get back to your neighborhood next year I'll be sure to stop by.

Gary

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/22/10 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mr9000:
I reckon it time to pop in another slice of peach flavoured trident gum,something sticks like the cats ass's litter box..total low blow in the nuggies area!

You may be right, can't deny it, but see my comment a few posts above. I get to talk about the guy's furniture, you get to talk about my bad mouth. Since we are "exposed" in a public forum, these things happen.

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/22/10 10:55 AM

Confusing cause and effect?

Well, whatever gets you through the day, I suppose

Re: Ken's Tyros4 Unboxing Excitement ! - 10/23/10 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Confusing cause and effect?

Well, whatever gets you through the day, I suppose

I am not sure I understand, I guess you 'll have to say that in a simpler way.