Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good...

Posted by: Dnj

Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 10:33 AM

Latin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RedLnBbYaeE&feature=related

Big Band...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlFMbaLraH8&feature=related

is it me or does the Big Band styles loose its punch and clearness?.. I really need every genre to sound good......such decisions...
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 10:47 AM

I thought both genres sounded terrific, Donny.

The Big Band stuff was great.

Ian
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 11:05 AM

Donny
I just recorded Swing 1 and 2 on my Q3. Will post the link in a few minutes
Bernie
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 11:45 AM

Look down toward the bottom. This is just Swing1 and 2
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=BernieA1000&aq=f
Posted by: Tonewheeldude

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 12:15 PM

the audio is absolute rubbish on the swing demo (most of youtube is that way). YouTube is a very poor place to form an oppinion on any manufacturers keyboard.

try this...its the same style:
http://www.ketronmusic.co.uk/media/video/flv/Big_band.html

some others are here:
http://www.ketronmusic.co.uk/media/video/index.html

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 10-12-2010).]
Posted by: leezone

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
[B] I really need every genre to sound good......B]

not gonna happen on ANY arranger

you just gotta pick the one that sounds best
and most suits YOUR needs
and comes closest to YOUR expectations
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 02:17 PM

I have to preface this that I would really have to try one of these out in order to make a complete judgement of Ketron.

But, having said that, everything I've heard from them, and speaking as a drummer, these drums are way too much in your face, too loud, overdone and overpowering and overochestrated. Quite unatural. Any band I'd ever played in or heard the drummer would be told to back off if they sounded like that, both in volume and in being too busy.

As far as the horns and solo instruments, to me, it sounds like old outdated synthesizer type of sounds. I was selling Technics products in the late '80's and I feel Ketron does not sound as good as that 30 year old technology.

I am saying this only from the online demos I've heard. I'd like to see what it's like in person.

I feel Yamaha has got the best voices out there. It would be interesting to try Ketron drums with Tyros voices, with the drums toned down. Then again, I need to hear what the T4 drums sound like in person also.

Yamaha, to me sounds more real and easy on the ears and not so frantic.

IMHO

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tonewheeldude:
the audio is absolute rubbish on the swing demo (most of youtube is that way). YouTube is a very poor place to form an oppinion on any manufacturers keyboard.

try this...its the same style:

some others are here:
http://www.ketronmusic.co.uk/media/video/index.html

[This message has been edited by Tonewheeldude (edited 10-12-2010).]

I have to disagree......I have used used X1/sd1/midjay/sd5 and they are all the same in the Big band/Swing department has nothing to do with You tube ketron needs to really pick up their game in that genre Big Time.... to the point that converted styles from who knows where sound better...

At least Yamaha is consistently balanced and sounds equally good all across the style spectrum.

Al this hoopla about the drums and the rest of the styles don't sync & meld correctly.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-12-2010).]

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by leezone:
not gonna happen on ANY arranger

you just gotta pick the one that sounds best
and most suits YOUR needs
and comes closest to YOUR expectations

At $5000.00 you better think again...
Posted by: mc

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 03:28 PM

It just shows how everyone's needs, tastes, wants are just different. There's really no right arranger or wrong arranger. It only matters how the arranger suites your needs. When I owned a yamaha T2, the only right hand voices I really liked were the organ flutes and the guitars. The sounds that I thought were the worst were the woodwinds and brass and the styles were nothing to brag about. But it doesn't mean I'm right!! I have to give credit to the guy that thinks Wersi is just as good or if not better than the other keyboard companies. Al long as you enjoy it and that's what matters.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
It just shows how everyone's needs, tastes, wants are just different. There's really no right arranger or wrong arranger. It only matters how the arranger suites your needs.Al long as you enjoy it and that's what matters.

Yep, so true Dennis.

I'm probably in a very tiny minority for liking the PSR-S910 over Tyros2/3, but it has all I need in an arranger with no fluff...I don't need or want to load in new voices, the ones in the S910 are terrific (and are editable), and it has the same basic style engine as the Tyros3, as well as having audio to usb recording.

One time, mid-range arrangers were what we got when we couldn't afford a top of the line model. Now, they are so good, there's no penalty at all.

The Audya has it's supporters, and no wonder...it sounds great, especially if you favor Drums/Percussion.

Ian

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 03:52 PM

If anyone likes the Audya Big Bad styles demo posted please tell me why?
Posted by: Lucky2Bhere

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 07:54 PM

Speaking as a big Ketron fan, I would have to agree that this "big band" style sounds......limp! I'm surprised. 90% of the Ketron demo's I've listened to over the last few years were superb. Unfortunately, this one is a non-finisher.

Lucky

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:

Speaking as a big Ketron fan, I would have to agree that this "big band" style sounds......limp! I'm surprised. 90% of the Ketron demo's I've listened to over the last few years were superb. Unfortunately, this one is a non-finisher.

Lucky

lucky please post some ketron Big band style demos that you know of, you tube or where ever that do sound good.....or up to the caliper of Yamaha's

thanx
Posted by: montunoman

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 08:01 PM

"But, having said that, everything I've heard from them, and speaking as a drummer, these drums are way too much in your face, too loud, overdone and overpowering and overochestrated. Quite unatural. Any band I'd ever played in or heard the drummer would be told to back off if they sounded like that, both in volume and in being too busy"

Scott, I'm a drummer too, and that has crossed my mind too- If I played that loud and busy on most of the drumset gigs I do, I wouldn't get called back.

But for Latin (real Latin- not watered down ball room stuff) it's all about percussion. This is where the Audya really shines.

Finding real Latin styles for my Tyros 2 has not been easy.

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 08:04 PM

Quote:
lucky please post some ketron Big band style demos that you know of, you tube or where ever that do sound good.....or up to the caliper of Yamaha's

this is about the best ketron Bb style I've heard so far...
http://www.ketronus.com/sounds/SD5Demo/BigBand.mp3

thanx

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/12/10 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by montunoman:
"But, having said that, everything I've heard from them, and speaking as a drummer, these drums are way too much in your face, too loud, overdone and overpowering and overochestrated. Quite unatural. Any band I'd ever played in or heard the drummer would be told to back off if they sounded like that, both in volume and in being too busy"

Scott, I'm a drummer too, and that has crossed my mind too- If I played that loud and busy on most of the drumset gigs I do, I wouldn't get called back.

But for Latin (real Latin- not watered down ball room stuff) it's all about percussion. This is where the Audya really shines.

Finding real Latin styles for my Tyros 2 has not been easy.

have you ever tried to create your own drum style parts using the style creator and different drum kits in the tyros 2?...
Posted by: montunoman

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/13/10 07:43 AM

"have you ever tried to create your own drum style parts using the style creator and different drum kits in the tyros 2?..."

Point well taken. My time (like everyone) is limited. The little free time I have to devote to music, I'd rather work on becoming a better musician and learn more tunes.

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/13/10 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by montunoman:
"have you ever tried to create your own drum style parts using the style creator and different drum kits in the tyros 2?..."

Point well taken. My time (like everyone) is limited. The little free time I have to devote to music, I'd rather work on becoming a better musician and learn more tunes.

That's all well and good...but if as you stated the SOUND isn't up to par for your liking at least these features are included in most arrangers to create the sound you want...creating is as satisfying as playing in many cases.
Posted by: Diki

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/13/10 10:36 AM

This kind of brings me back to the point I've made over and over in regards to the Ketron...

With a traditional MIDI based arranger, it's a piece of cake to revoice the drums, perhaps substitute a brush kit for a sticks kit, easily remove busy parts and edit them down to simple ones, things like that. Make the tools to do this as simple and easy to work as the Roland's do, and you are also likely to DO IT...

But loops are loops. They are what they are, and if they don't work, it is a HUGE job to replace them with something that does...

It seems that so many of us think that, if audio loops are too 'in your face' and some arrangers drums (particularly Yamaha) are not ENOUGH in your face, that's basically IT... The truth is anything but. If you listen to any of the demos of newer drum libraries like BFD, DFH, EZDrummer, and products like that, you will have an almost impossible time telling that they AREN'T loops of audio. But they are all exactly the same as your arranger... MIDI performances playing drum samples. Only, the difference is, these are REALLY GOOD samples.

Arrangers do NOT need to go over to uneditable audio loops to sound live and realistic. They simply need more and better samples for the drum kits they DO have! And, once that is provided, the problem that the style itself may be busier (or simpler) than you actually want is easily remediable. I really DO believe that audio loops is a dead end for arranger technology. Some of the better Yamaha Mega Guitar and SA guitar Parts are close to indistinguishable from a loop. Some of the better Korg Guitar Mode Parts are the same.

Once again, BOTH of these can easily be edited, substituted (want a nylon playing the same part as your electric..? a snap in MIDI, impossible with a loop) changed, whatever you feel like.

We should not be all screaming for Yamaha, Korg, etc. to CATCH UP with Audya... We should be screaming for Korg and Yamaha to catch up to BFD or EZDrummer..!

JMO...
Posted by: Mr. G

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/15/10 10:16 AM

Why does everyone say Audya costs $5000.00 . My Audya 5 3750.00 delieverd to my door. How much did you guys pay for your Tyros 4? Was it more or less than $3750.00 ? I didn't price a Tyros 4 so I am curious as to the price as compaired to Audya 5.
Posted by: Diki

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/15/10 02:15 PM

Audya quotes tend to be for the original Audya. A 76. Not too many people are familiar with the new model's prices yet.

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/15/10 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. G:
Why does everyone say Audya costs $5000.00 . My Audya 5 3750.00 delieverd to my door. How much did you guys pay for your Tyros 4? Was it more or less than $3750.00 ? I didn't price a Tyros 4 so I am curious as to the price as compaired to Audya 5.

With Your Audya 5 can you post some styles from the BB/Swing bank so we can hear them ......as in the topic of this thread..
Posted by: Mr. G

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/19/10 09:09 AM

Quote:
With Your Audya 5 can you post some styles from the BB/Swing bank so we can hear them ......as in the topic of this thread..

I don't do any music using big band or swing, I stay in the rock, ballad, country and pop. I have listened to those style banks and they don't do nothing for me cause I don't care for that kind of music. I will however post some of those styles once I find out how to do it. Never tried before, I could use some directions.
Posted by: DonM

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/19/10 09:16 AM

The ones I use sound fantastic to me. DNJ, you'll be able to see for yourself if you like it today.
DonM

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/20/10 03:13 AM

Well see today when we demo the audya5 and tyros4

Re: Audya latin Great....but Big Band/Swing/Jazz not so good... - 10/20/10 02:47 PM

Fran will be posting his review later complete with a video stay tuned.....

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-21-2010).]