Nikki Yanofsky

Posted by: JCkeeys

Nikki Yanofsky - 06/27/10 07:10 PM

I love to see new young talent like this!!What a beauty and what a voice!!!
http://www.nikkiyanofsky.com/
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/27/10 07:30 PM

If I'm being honest I enjoyed the band muisic better then her singing....Ella? shes not even close.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/27/10 07:39 PM

Ummm, gotta go with Donny on this one. I listened to her 'God Bless the Child' and thought, Billy (Holiday) must be turning over in her grave. The band arrangement was great, though, especially the horns. JMO.

chas

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/27/10 07:46 PM

Don't forget she is only 16!!
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/28/10 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JCkeeys:
Don't forget she is only 16!!

Well that does change things. She's doing very 'mature' (challenging) material for a 16 yr. old, so I'll have to revise my critique and say that she's definitely on the right track and doing good tunes. She really is very cute, maybe TOO cute to be taken seriously as a jazz singer . Still, she's already done larger venues than most of us have, so obviously, someone thinks she's got the goods. Plus, it's gratifying to see young people do something besides pop and rock. I wish her good luck and a successful career.

chas

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/28/10 03:52 AM

Within a year she'll be a thing of the past in todays music scene.Someone just making money off her short stay and will move on just as fast to the next & best. Just the way it is out there.
Posted by: spalding1968

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/28/10 04:16 AM

i think she is actually quite good. she doesnt have the seasoned maturity in phrasing that comes only through time and experienced but she certainly has the foundation to be a decent singer.

She oversings too much. A lot of artists do this and sometimes it works out ok and other times it just sounds like a hot mess. She is sort of in between. If a song has been really well crafted with a good melody and lots of space for the words to seep through your soul , why mess it up with sometimes completly unrelated riffs that dont suit the genre of music and dont help tell the story of the song ? anyway best of luck to her. She has at least picked songs to sing that have a melody !!!!

I think its her age that is her selling point. Loved the band arrangerment though.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/28/10 04:20 AM

http://www.nikkiyanofsky.com/

What are you guys talking about...the 16 year old girl is excellent...She has as much vocal control and stage presence than Diana Krall...at her age...

One year and out...NO WAY!!!!

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/28/10 04:23 AM

How can someone praise the American Idol singers and knock this girl?....

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/28/10 03:16 PM

I always liked you Fran!!!

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/28/10 03:48 PM

BTw what does this have to do with arranger keyboards......?

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/28/10 05:48 PM

If you sing .... it does .... maybe?? Do you sing Donny???
Posted by: Jerryghr

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/28/10 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
BTw what does this have to do with arranger keyboards......?

Déjà vu
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/015119.html

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/28/10 09:06 PM

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-28-2010).]
Posted by: Taike

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/28/10 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerryghr:
Déjà vu

Some individuals just never follow their own advice, Jerry. Doesn't keep them from dishing it out, though.

Regards

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.
Posted by: Tony Hughes

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/28/10 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerryghr:
Déjà vu

Hey guys that was 3 years back, when you are old there are two things that happen to you, the 1st you start losing your memory and the 2nd, I can't remember what that was!!! "Don't do as I do, do as I say", I remember that one!
Posted by: FAEbGBD

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/28/10 10:14 PM

I'm thankful for downloads. There are a few tracks here worth having, but I wouldn't want her entire album. So many of the younger singers, Erin Boheme, Renee Olstead, Melody Gardot, Sophie Millman, are putting these rockish-popish-soul stuff on their cds along with the jazz tunes. Which is OK I guess if they wanna do that to attract new listeners, but i don't really care for it. She's actually pretty good, especially considering her age. I'm impressed, not blown away, but impressed.

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/29/10 04:25 PM

American Idol is a Multi Billion dollar success show story world wide in 42 countries, giving young singers a chance to get in the business.....and you want to argue with that? ...nuff said.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idol_series

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/29/10 04:51 PM

Donny what you said is very true about American Idol but this girl already has a record deal!!

I do not agree "Within a year she'll be a thing of the past in todays music scene".

Michael Buble seems to be doing just fine!!

We all know how "fickle" the music biz is but I will always appreciate those young entertainers that embrace the standards and make an honest heartfelt attempt to perform them. And did I mention she is soooo cute!!!

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/29/10 05:13 PM

Ok then I guess we'll see in a year......time will tell......if she can make money for the label she'll continue ...if not bye bye. Thats the sad truth..talent means nothing in this cut throat business.

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/29/10 05:39 PM

American Idol never exploits anyone....

This girl already has the backing, she is on a world tour..with success on the charts..
Maybe Two or three of the AI winners can claim the same...and they were hyped to the max....Where they sponsored by Yamaha?..

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/29/10 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
American Idol never exploits anyone....

This girl already has the backing, she is on a world tour..with success on the charts..
Maybe Two or three of the AI winners can claim the same...and they were hyped to the max....Where they sponsored by Yamaha?..

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idol

oh BTw shall I continue?....
http://top40.about.com/od/americanidol/tp/top10americanidolalumni.htm

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-29-2010).]

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/29/10 06:31 PM

Quote:
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Idol

oh BTw shall I continue?....
http://top40.about.com/od/americanidol/tp/top10americanidolalumni.htm

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-29-2010).]

Like I said numbers 1,2 and 3 of the list equaled Nikki's success..and her success depends on a less popular audience base...
Let us revisit this post in another year and see who survived without all the hype..

As for AI popularity..I haven't watched it the last 2 seasons...The show absolutely exploits the contestants..especially the first few shows of a season...Heck I am not the only one that bailed out on AI....even the star of the show is moving on...

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/29/10 06:35 PM

Quote:
Like I said numbers 1,2 and 3 of the list equaled Nikki's success..and her success depends on a less popular audience base...
Let us revisit this post in another year and see who survived without all the hype..

As for AI popularity..I haven't watched it the last 2 seasons...The show absolutely exploits the contestants..especially the first few shows of a season...Heck I am not the only one that bailed out on AI....even the star of the show is moving on...

yea after 10 seasons Simon Cowel moved on to make more Billions.....no TV show will ever match American Idol ratings ever.

Exploits?....hahahah

lets now forget how many millions of dollars IDOL GIVES BACK to their charity funds....READ
http://www.americanidol.com/idolgivesback/

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/29/10 10:36 PM

She is backed by a real band, plays in real venues, and about the only blue you see in her audience are blue jeans. So who on SZ is topping that?

WWE is bigger!

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 05:50 AM

My first reaction... she's better looking than she is a great singer. But she's young and her voice will get better. She's not bad, she's good, but she is not a super star singer. Yet.

I wish her luck, anyone with such good looks and such confidence can have a fab package if her voice matures.

And I note... I just received a comp copy of M Magazine, a music mag, and she has a spotlight article!

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
I just received a comp copy of M Magazine, a music mag, and she has a spotlight article!

That's easily attainable for anyone in the PR business for the right price $$$

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 09:58 AM

Quote:
That's easily attainable for anyone in the PR business for the right price $$$

Yes, that is true, but the point is... somebody is promoting her bigtime. She's right along with some pretty big names in that mag.

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Yes, that is true, but the point is... somebody is promoting her bigtime. She's right along with some pretty big names in that mag.

Lets see where she is a year or two from now & when ALL else fails, show some skin, it's ALL about Money $$$.. ...bottom line.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 06-30-2010).]

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 11:17 AM

I don't think we will have to worry about her needing to show more skin...She comes across as the girl next door...

Maybe the AI girls with tattoos up and down their arms will have to show more skin..

Although a limited market audience wise..this girl is being promoted in the right light and venues...She seems to have the right people behind her...both the musicians and the promoters...

You are off on the prediction that she will be gone in a year...Her material alone will give her staying power...and the look she is maintaining now will preserve her popularity....

The more skin will be for the bimbos..

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 12:35 PM

Lets see where she is a year or two from now .......btw AIR BRUSHING Photos does wonders today ....

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 12:57 PM

Quote:
Lets see where she is a year or two from now .......btw AIR BRUSHING Photos does wonders today ....

Give me a break..

Are the video clips air brushed too?

You are just use to looking in a mirror..

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 04:08 PM

Quote:

Man, are you against someone having a break. Not every new talent has to come from AI only. Here you are spending an entire thread on wanting someone to fail. Lighten up, will ya!

Fran, I think he prefers the "natural" look of blue-haired ladies. Margie, beware!

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 04:32 PM

Wow this thread didn't take long to go in the toilet eh?...voice your opinion opposite the fellowship and get ridiculed big time.... I'll stick by mine.

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 05:45 PM

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 06-30-2010).]
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 06:09 PM

Quote:
Wow this thread didn't take long to go in the toilet eh?...voice your opinion opposite the fellowship and get ridiculed big time.... I'll stick by mine.

Donny ... for someone who has been such a supporter of AI, I am really surprised that you didn't give on OUNCE of support to this TALENTED young lady ...
t.

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 06:16 PM

Tony I listened, and I gave my honest opinion that's all.....AI has nothing to do with it..one is a competition, and one isn't. She's ok but nothing that in any way that impressed me.To me just another wedding/cruiseship singer at most ...sorry.

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 06:29 PM

Now...that is funny...

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 06:31 PM

I have heard folks here rave over other 14-17 year old female singers..that were just okay...but this girl is as good as any of the hyped up ones over the last three years..and the big exception...she has stage poise and presence...

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 06:36 PM

Donny so what....big deal...so you made another mistake...

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 07:24 PM

You can book that she won't be gone in a year or two. Maybe five. Let's check back in five years. She has too much clout behind her. She has wide-set eyes like a super model, she's thin, pretty, young, she can sing... she likes that genre... that genre is clamoring for a star... she might hit the big time.

I wonder if she would go out with an old fart?

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 06/30/10 07:59 PM

probably some horny old fart is backing her up with money hoping she cliks ...I wouldnt want to be him.

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 07/01/10 03:33 AM

Quote:
probably some horny old fart is backing her up with money hoping she cliks ...I wouldnt want to be him.

You seem to get off badmouthing a girl you don't know, haven't even met. How'd you feel if someone did the same to your daughter? Nikki's somebody's daugher too, you know. All that spite just because others disagree with you. Boy, are you mean and weak! This is disgusting behavior!

------------------
Bo pen nyang.

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 07-01-2010).]

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 07/01/10 04:13 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8fR2jroUxE

Now here is an up an coming SUPERSTAR Singer ....Nuff Said!

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 07/01/10 05:54 AM

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8fR2jroUxE

Now here is an up an coming SUPERSTAR Singer ....Nuff Said!

She is good...only problem for me...I didn't understand a word she sang...Just like a lot of "modern" music...

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 07/01/10 07:51 AM

Let me explain my pet peeve about the "pop" music faults..to me..

The Houston's and the Carey's etc...It is all about the "skating" and "tones"..and unrealistic effects...What it lacks is the clarity and diction...so that a story can be told and understood...
The reason they put the words on pop music albums...is ...so the kids can learn the lyrics...then they can understand the garble..

I rather here a great instrumental..doing what the majority of these stars do..

I remember Whitney doing a song on TV without the studio tricks and tracks..she was horrible..
I am not saying they were not talented...I just believe the effort should be towards the quality of the diction and clarity..

Donny's last link..the girl is being taught in the same manor as the Super Stars of the 80's...
Nikki is being taught the way the real greats could deliver a song..with meaning and a vocal to be understood....

Listen to the "stars" of the 40's 50's and even the 60's....You know ..the songs that will be remembered..

You don't have to agree with me...but think about it!!!
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 07/01/10 08:34 AM

I sort of agree with Donny. This young girl has stage presence, but I'm not enamored with her voice. It's a personal preference. I'm not much of a fan of our local girl's (Laura Bell Bundy) voice, either...notice, I said VOICE...I'm old and tired, but not DEAD!

Today, to make it, you have to "bundle" a lot of attributes...voice...looks...promotion...etc.
to succeed. Like Fran, I couldn't understand the other little girl. She has great pipes, but, I'm not sure she really knows and feels what she is singing, and to me, "selling" the song's meaning is critical.

Look, I don't particularly like Michael Bubule (sp). But, that's a personal preference, and I'm not going to try to convince anyone else to believe the way I do.

I wish this young lady all the success in the world. I do believe she'll improve with a little maturity. Really like her choice of material.

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 07-01-2010).]

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 07/01/10 08:46 AM

Quote:
Let me explain my pet peeve about the "pop" music faults..to me..

The Houston's and the Carey's etc...It is all about the "skating" and "tones"..and unrealistic effects...What it lacks is the clarity and diction...so that a story can be told and understood...
The reason they put the words on pop music albums...is ...so the kids can learn the lyrics...then they can understand the garble..

I rather here a great instrumental..doing what the majority of these stars do..

I remember Whitney doing a song on TV without the studio tricks and tracks..she was horrible..
I am not saying they were not talented...I just believe the effort should be towards the quality of the diction and clarity..

Donny's last link..the girl is being taught in the same manor as the Super Stars of the 80's...
Nikki is being taught the way the real greats could deliver a song..with meaning and a vocal to be understood....

Listen to the "stars" of the 40's 50's and even the 60's....You know ..the songs that will be remembered..

You don't have to agree with me...but think about it!!!

What your missing is ....it dont matter its all about how much money these kids can make for the label...period!
Now heres is what I mean a cash machine for the label!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVCgf6_M7i4&feature=related

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-01-2010).]

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 07/01/10 09:41 AM

Exactly my point...You can understand Diana...Thanks for proving my point...

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 07/01/10 11:50 AM

Diana is awesome (damn you, Elvis Costello-I'm JEALOUS)!

A serious (and good looking) jazz proponent.

One of my favorites!

Russ

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 07/01/10 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Diana is awesome (damn you, Elvis Costello-I'm JEALOUS)!

A serious (and good looking) jazz proponent.

One of my favorites!

Russ

Russ , you are right..Diana is good...but do you think she was better than Nikki at 16....I am pretty sure she was not...

The exposure and experience will allow Nikki to mature into a top notch performer..I have no doubt...

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 07/01/10 01:07 PM

...........talk to me in two years........good luck to her.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-01-2010).]

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 07/01/10 01:56 PM

#1...#1...#3...#3....#9...On the charts (Billboard).....at the age of 16....Do some more research...Not even Diana did this in her first year...and I can't think of another 16 year old that has done this...

Apparently ..she is doing okay...and won't need any wedding bands...or an invite from any of us at SZ to work with us..

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 07/01/10 03:07 PM

Fran, I have no idea how this youngster compared with Diana at 16. I do hope she works hard and gets the recognition and success she deserves. At best, for anyone today, it's a crap shoot. She does evidently have a strong team behind her, in terms of arrangements, musicians, publicity, etc.

I wish her well!

Russ

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 07/03/10 06:13 PM

Aspiring singers are popping up everywhere like this Carlos Apponte Audition on TV..

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 07/07/10 07:00 PM

Since I started this maybe I'll finish it. I caught this girls video on a Delta flight to Atlanta a few weeks ago, I was impressed!! Not to say for one minute she is the next Ella, Karen or Judy Garland!! Just a pretty face with a nice voice singing material I like!! Nothing more ... nothing else!I will state again I love the old sdandards and when young folks like Nikki put the time effort and talent into performing them I will support it!! I love "Young" talent ... at any level. I think that is the point I was trying to make.

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 07/08/10 07:52 AM

Well said, JC. Talented kid who is very deserving of recognition and future success. Thanks for bringing this talented youngster (good taste in music, too)to our attention.

Russ

Re: Nikki Yanofsky - 07/08/10 04:53 PM

Although she might have a chance.....I dont think Nikki will ever draw crowds like this youngster...could be her musical genre holding her back from the masses.
http://www.demilovato.com/index.php

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 07-08-2010).]