USB memory that doesn't protrude

Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

USB memory that doesn't protrude - 01/02/10 07:10 AM

I am afraid I will bump the USB mem stick and break something on the keyboard. I wonder if they make one that hinges or is angled 90 degrees, so that the body points downward.
Posted by: Bill in Dayton

Re: USB memory that doesn't protrude - 01/02/10 07:25 AM

Some options:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BAW...ASIN=B001BAW7P4

and

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-USB-Cable-Adjustable-Angled/dp/B0009V6OLY

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 01-02-2010).]
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: USB memory that doesn't protrude - 01/02/10 07:40 AM

Here ya go Bill
This looks like it would do the trick. http://www.everythingusb.com/apacer_handy_steno_ah421_4gb_13289.html
Eddie
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: USB memory that doesn't protrude - 01/02/10 07:47 AM

Bill,

Keep in mind that NOT ALL USB sticks will work in your keyboard--some are just not compatible, especially some of the larger ones with built-in software.
www.Cyberguys.com has lots of right angle adapters and extension cables that may be helpful.

Gary
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: USB memory that doesn't protrude - 01/02/10 07:49 AM

Thanks, I thought I had seen something like that. The first one that Bill posted is very small, it might be good. Just wondering if anyone has discovered a particular type that works well.
Posted by: Irishacts

Re: USB memory that doesn't protrude - 01/02/10 07:55 AM

No disrespect to the other recommendation, but this is by far the best one to get hands down.

You won't find smaller than this that also uses the full USB socket to hold its self in place.
http://usb.brando.com/eagletec-usb-nano-flash-drive_p00892c041d15.html

Regards
James
Posted by: DonM

Re: USB memory that doesn't protrude - 01/02/10 08:27 AM

Bill, I still have the extension/2-port hub that I used on the 900. You can have it.
DonM
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: USB memory that doesn't protrude - 01/02/10 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Bill, I still have the extension/2-port hub that I used on the 900. You can have it.
DonM

T guess Don had the best answer..
Posted by: eddiefromrotherham

Re: USB memory that doesn't protrude - 01/02/10 10:19 AM

amended

[This message has been edited by eddiefromrotherham (edited 01-02-2010).]
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: USB memory that doesn't protrude - 01/02/10 07:43 PM

James,

That is tiny. It appears so small that you could leave it plugged in and it would not project beyond the keyboard's protective ledge. It would be like adding a hard drive to the keyboard without all the associated problems. I'm going order a pair of them tomorrow.

Thanks,

Gary
Posted by: Tony Hughes

Re: USB memory that doesn't protrude - 01/02/10 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
I am afraid I will bump the USB mem stick and break something on the keyboard. I wonder if they make one that hinges or is angled 90 degrees, so that the body points downward.

SemiLiveMusic,

A simple way is but a male to female USB lead, a short one and then the only thing that will get knocked will be the plug in the USB socket you can stick to female end to the KB with blue tack and have the stick anywhere you like.

Tony
Posted by: Beakybird

Re: USB memory that doesn't protrude - 01/03/10 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
James,

This looks like the best solution if you are concerned about damaging not only the usb drive but the keyboard usb input.

I have had the S900 for over three years and the S910 for three months without problem, but I am very watchful as people with Alzheimer's approach my keyboard, often putting a hand out in front to make sure they don't bump into my pen drive.

My main concern with my pen drive is losing it and being able to get it on and off my key chain easily.

Beakybird
Posted by: Diki

Re: USB memory that doesn't protrude - 01/03/10 02:11 PM

OTOH, perhaps you could make some noise and get the manufacturers to do what Roland has done with the GW-8... have a dedicated recessed and covered bay that the stick goes in and gets covered up.

Mind you, those Nano Flash drives look pretty damn convenient, too.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 01-03-2010).]
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: USB memory that doesn't protrude - 01/13/10 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
James,

That is tiny. It appears so small that you could leave it plugged in and it would not project beyond the keyboard's protective ledge. It would be like adding a hard drive to the keyboard without all the associated problems. I'm going order a pair of them tomorrow.

Thanks,

Gary

I ordered one, I received it in yesterday's mail. It's great, this drive does not protrude from the keyboard at all. Great find!
Posted by: leezone

Re: USB memory that doesn't protrude - 01/13/10 06:23 AM

Audya should come standard with one of these tiny USB drives. To make up for the fact that they designed its location in the worst spot possible