Turning off Speakers on PSR-S900?

Posted by: harosha

Turning off Speakers on PSR-S900? - 10/30/09 04:15 PM

OK, I have looks every where and I just can't find how to turn off the speakers on PSR-S900. I am using it to record in my studio and I only want to hear the mix through my monitors. Any idea?
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Turning off Speakers on PSR-S900? - 10/30/09 04:36 PM

Just plug any 1/4-inch phono plug into the headphone jack and the speakers will turn off. There is no on/off switch.

Cheers,

Gary
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Turning off Speakers on PSR-S900? - 10/30/09 04:57 PM

1/4" Stereo Phono Plug:

Posted by: DonM

Re: Turning off Speakers on PSR-S900? - 10/30/09 09:59 PM

Actually, it doesn't even have to be stereo.
You can plug any 1/4" plug in and do it.
DonM
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Turning off Speakers on PSR-S900? - 10/30/09 10:22 PM

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-30-2009).]

Re: Turning off Speakers on PSR-S900? - 10/30/09 10:27 PM

Posted by: Diki

Re: Turning off Speakers on PSR-S900? - 10/31/09 01:26 AM

Is that a shameless plug, Donny?

Personally, I would get a stereo 1/4" male to stereo 1/8" female converter for the job... Just in case you want to record to a mini recorder or feed a monitor, or use mini earpods etc.. No reason it can't be something useful, even if you rarely use it...
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Turning off Speakers on PSR-S900? - 10/31/09 07:38 AM

In my case I modified a 1/4-inch mono plug by cutting off most of the end where the connections are made, then filled the inside the the plug with hot-melt glue to prevent a short circuit. When the plug is in place it sits flush against the female jack, thereby eliminating any possibility of it being accidentally bumped into and damaging the circuit board. Additionally, once in place it does not have to be removed unless you want to turn the speakers on and use them as monitors.

Cheers,

Gary
Posted by: DonM

Re: Turning off Speakers on PSR-S900? - 10/31/09 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Is that a shameless plug, Donny?

Personally, I would get a stereo 1/4" male to stereo 1/8" female converter for the job... Just in case you want to record to a mini recorder or feed a monitor, or use mini earpods etc.. No reason it can't be something useful, even if you rarely use it...

Yes, you get a really good recording from the headphone outputs.
DonM

Re: Turning off Speakers on PSR-S900? - 10/31/09 09:39 AM

As Uncle Dave would say............

"I Won't Buy a Silent Slab"

Ditto
Posted by: harosha

Re: Turning off Speakers on PSR-S900? - 10/31/09 09:48 AM

Nice! Thanks for your help guys!
Posted by: Diki

Re: Turning off Speakers on PSR-S900? - 10/31/09 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Yes, you get a really good recording from the headphone outputs.
DonM

Not sure if that's a dig or not...

Perhaps some low end stuff, especially if you regularly run your output at nearly the max, might have a bit distorted sound, but generally if you aren't cranking it the headphone output ought to be clean enough for a non-critical recording, or to feed a separate monitor.

If you are recording for posterity, sure, the headphone outs got an extra amp stage, and is not QUITE as clean as the line outs, but for the use I suggested, should be clean enough to use. I've done a fair bit with my G70 like this, and had no problems.

The headphone output is often cleaner than you think, usually it's the headphones themselves that break up a bit especially if you have a ton of low end EQ added at the arranger's Mastering controls.

Maybe low end arrangers' headphone outputs suck, but my G70's are clean as a whistle...
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Turning off Speakers on PSR-S900? - 10/31/09 03:27 PM

The E80 has a physical speakers on/off switch on the front right of the keyboard. So simple, so useful - I'm amazed more instruments don't offer it.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Turning off Speakers on PSR-S900? - 10/31/09 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:
The E80 has a physical speakers on/off switch on the front right of the keyboard. So simple, so useful - I'm amazed more instruments don't offer it.

Seamaster, you're starting to sound like Fran...that's scary!

Happy Halloween!
Posted by: mc

Re: Turning off Speakers on PSR-S900? - 10/31/09 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seamaster:

they do but I'm sure it depends on the price points. Every little feature costs money.