A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids

Posted by: big741.1

A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/23/09 06:35 AM

Hello SynthZoners.

Well, next Saturday is Halloween, so I thought I might subject you all to a little Halloween sonic torture (yeah, that means I'm gonna sing again). The first tune is a Buck Owens song called (It's A) Monster's Holiday. Everything was done on my PSR3000 except for three sound effects, and the quasi-maniacal laughter was done with the VH using a tweaked version of Speedy Mouse (and a lot of reverb). The song was also multi-tracked on my Ferd Flinstone era PC.
http://www.4shared.com/file/139976596/56a7f8f0/Monsters_Holiday.html

This next song you may have heard, but I thought I'd throw it in (up?) anyway. I did this one in 2007, again using the 3000 along with it's VH, and all of the sound effects were also done using the 3000. The Monster Mash
http://www.4shared.com/file/73082650/89549a4c/Monster_Mash_256kbs.html

Happy Halloween,
Dan

P.S. There's nothing musically special about either of these tunes. I just thought that some may want to torment their kids, Grandkids or neighbours during Halloween.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/23/09 06:45 AM

Cute. Very cute. well played and well recorded. You know, listening to the first tune, I would say that with the excellent pitch, intonation, timing, inflections, and voice quality, you could do some seriously good vocals on a serious song (right song in the right genre' - probably country, but not necessarily). You should post more often. I think with the right material, you could put up some really good stuff.

chas
Posted by: Taike

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/23/09 06:49 AM

Wow! Sounds like a record. I mean, it's great! Well done, Dan.

Taike

------------------
Bo pen nyang.
Posted by: 124

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/23/09 06:49 AM

Hey, I like it, I like it a lot!
Posted by: DonM

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/23/09 09:00 AM

Chas, you can hear lots of Dan's songs on the Yamaha PSR Tutorial site. And it is well worth it. He's great.
Dan, you make the Yammy vocalizer sound better than anyone else in the world. I wish it would sound like that "out of the box".
DonM
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/23/09 09:17 AM

Two more excellent pieces. But, man, you have got to eat some Monster Mashed potatoes and put some weight on. You're not even SKIN and bones. Just bones.

Great Job, Dan
Eddie

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/23/09 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Chas, you can hear lots of Dan's songs on the Yamaha PSR Tutorial site.

Thanks Don, I'm always impressed with the guys that clearly have 'the goods'. Genre' is unimportant, good is good and .......

chas
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/23/09 12:46 PM

Dan ... good fun stuff ... well done ...
t.
Posted by: Diki

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/23/09 01:06 PM

Scary good, Dan...
Posted by: GlennT

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/23/09 02:13 PM

Nice job, Dan!

Glenn
Posted by: zuki

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/23/09 06:43 PM

Great stuff, but you really should gain a little weight

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/23/09 07:44 PM

Could Dan really be..... Boney James .

chas

PS: It's only funny if you're familiar with Smooth Jazz. Even then, not so much .

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/23/09 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
Could Dan really be..... Boney James .

chas

PS: It's only funny if you're familiar with Smooth Jazz. Even then, not so much .

I knew who you meant ... and you're right ... ...
t.

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/24/09 07:03 AM

Hello everyone.

Thanks for stopping by to listen to my Halloween silliness, and thanks to everyone for the comments and encouragement. Your input and advice is always appreciated (although perhaps not always heeded ).

Thanks for your concern re: my weight and health. The photo is an old one from the days when I actually had to live off of what I could earn as a musician. After 15+ years of a day job and too much sofa-time, I regret to say that I'm no longer the svelte individual portrayed in the photo. I'm more like a pregnant grapefruit with arms and legs now.

Thanks for listening,
Dan

P.S. Chas: If you're ever really bored, or feel like tormenting the neighbours, here is where I keep the entire recorded works of Dan (at least the ones I'll admit to). How's that for a shameless plug?
http://www.4shared.com/dir/10636351/f078ac94/Dans_Music.html

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/24/09 07:44 AM

Dan,
thnx for that link ... I can see the "ZONERS" folder on my iPOD getting thicker ...

t.

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/24/09 11:03 AM

Thanks for the link, Dan. I noticed quite a few tunes on the list that I do and it's always neat to hear a different approach, especially when it's done well. I really got a kick out of that Zen Gospel . I always wanted to do something like that with my VP-550 harmonizer, but was always too chicken. Thanks again, very nice.

chas
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/24/09 11:18 AM

"Halloween covers for the kids"...I was expecting some sort of blankets with scary designs...(ouch!).

Seriously, Dan, these are very well played, recorded and arranged.

You have conquered the Yamaha Vocalizer...a feat next to establishing world peace....and also, like Gary D., you have shown the longevity of the 3k amidst newer, prettier arrangers.

Nice work, buddy....a boo-tiful job.

Re: A Couple Halloween Covers For The Kids - 10/26/09 05:25 AM

Hello Synthzoners world wide.

Thanks again for stopping to listen and comment. It's much appreciated.

Careful not to pollute your Ipod too much, Tony!

"Halloween Covers for Kids' - could also be a bedsheet with two holes cut in it ala Charlie Brown. My favourite Charlie Brown line of all time is from The Charlie Brown Halloween show, "I got a rock...".

Chas, Zen Gospel was my first foray into A Capella VH (and many would say it should have been the last) . I especially like the lyrics in that one. Do you use your VP550 much? Is it fun? Looks like it might be.

Thanks again for listening,
Dan