PSR S700/S900 unreliable!

Posted by: superpowter77

PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 01:02 PM

I cannot believed now my psr-s700, which I barely used after being gently handled(special case,care, few hours playing), start giving me issues, speakers started buzzing(a hiss noise)and had to take it to the shop, to make my story short, It was purchased less than 3 months, I used maybe 4 times and labor warranty had already expired for 2 days(92 days old), I called yamaha several times and they gave a 2 days labor extension warranty, labor for this puppy is 65 per hour. You may think it's not that high, the problem is I used my keyboards to do charitable service at my church, what about if they claim after repairs they spent 12 hours fixing it? I found a big sign in the yamaha repair shop saying "have a backup", so we have suppose to spend thousands to have at least 1 backup unit only because yamaha unreliability? the good part is they make me wait 3-4 weeks, I could die by then.
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 01:11 PM

Say Super, what does this have to do with the S900?

I'm sorry you had trouble. I have had nothing but stellar performance and reliability from the three Yamaha arrangers I have owned over a ten year period. Amazingly reliable.

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 01:21 PM

I do have also a PSR-S900 and a KORG PA500. PSR-S900 started acting funny until updated latest OS. I can make a huge list of complains regarding PSR-S700/S900, so please do make start it. I have owned yamahas s30, s80, motif rack es, motif es 6, yamaha dgx-505 and all the PLG boards. never had an issue with them. I guess chinese materials are the ones to blame...
Posted by: squeak_D

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 01:33 PM

His complaints about shotty construction of the S-700 without a doubt apply to the S-900. They're the same bloody shell, and components (minus a few hardware items). However, they're the same keyboard in terms of construction. So his complaints about the S-700 clearly apply..., plus he has the S-900 too and had issues with it (OS related that is).

This isn't something new. Members have been complaining about poor build quality of the PSR line for years now.

Yamaha makes some great sounding keyboards. The PSR line S-700/900 have good sounds and many useful features. The problem is Yamaha has been stingy on the build quality of the PSR line. I can't even count how many times this issue has come up on the Zone about button contacts failing, key contacts failing, ect.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-12-2009).]
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
I have had nothing but stellar performance and reliability from the three Yamaha arrangers I have owned over a ten year period. Amazingly reliable.

Me too, I've had zero problems with my S900, which was actually one of the very early production models.

Having said that, there were a few reported problems here on SZ, which Yamaha took care of very well.

I always have a backup...if you play a lot, especially if you're a pro and gigging a lot, it's a good idea to have the spare.

Doesn't even have to be a keyboard failure...someone could knock it off the stand,or spill a drink in it...or it could even be stolen.

Ian

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 03:04 PM

I give Yamaha credit in how they take care of their customers with keyboard issues. They do go above and beyond to keep their customer base happy. Steve Deming watches this forum often..., and when I needed help Steve Deming was there.
Posted by: Beakybird

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 03:15 PM

That was cool of Yamaha to pay for the labor even though the keyboard was out of warranty.

I had one warranty issue that came up after I owned the keyboard (and played it heavily) for almost two years. Because I paid for the board with Mastercard, they extended the parts part of the warranty from 12 months to 24 months. So I was reimbursed for a $350 part and only had to pay the $85 labor.

Always have a backup if you are a serious musician.

And yeah, the S900 and S700 are not built like tanks. They are a good value though.

Beakybird
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 03:20 PM

Steve Deming called me on a stupid question I asked of Yamaha when I got my first Yamaha, a psr740. That was good PR. Of course, this was in ages passed... 1999. I'm not stuck to Yamaha, I am just saying that I have had good value and good service. And I like their easy operating system.

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 03:51 PM

We have Ben Harrison, and Omar Ales here in Canada regarding any arranger keyboard issues...both great guys and always willing to go the extra bit.

Ian
Posted by: Dnj

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 05:08 PM

I have two S900 use it every day & night never a problem......most timee its user error .........S900 is a solid winner without a doubt!
Posted by: Diki

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 05:36 PM

All I have to say is how appalling a 90 day warranty is. You have to REALLY punish something badly, or get a complete lemon, before anything much goes wrong THAT close to purchase. Buttons, keys, displays... it takes a while before reliability issues either come up or don't.

My G70 had a two YEAR warranty, thank God, as I had a serious motherboard failure just before it ran out. Without the warranty, I would have been out over two GRAND. 90 days would have been a joke.

90 days IS a joke A bad one.

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 05:40 PM

Here in Canada, the warranty on the PSR- S900 is 2 years parts and labour.

Ian

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 05:57 PM

I find it interesting, however, that the construction quality that apparently IS good enough for arranger players is NOT good enough for their Workstation customers (who pay no more than you do!).

Why do WS users NEED better construction than we do? Is it maybe because they aren't willing to accept shoddy Yamaha toy construction and low duty cycle components because their competition makes quality keyboards?

Yamaha have pretty much the low end market to themselves. And, IMO, the build quality is suffering for it. Competition improves the breed. Complacency accepts when the breed lessens. If Yamaha's customers to a man complained about the disparity between the build quality of $1700 keyboards they make, as responsive as you keep saying they ARE to your needs, surely they would take this seriously..?

Put it this way... If Yamaha's PSR line WAS built to MotifXS standards, you wouldn't be complaining, would you? It IS possible to imagine an improvement to a Yamaha product, isn't it?

It's in your hands, and under your fingers.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 05-12-2009).]

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 06:13 PM

A pro invests in an arranger lets say for $2000.00+ or whatever.....then for that measly investment will make 50x or more then that in a year of gigs.....& repeat year after year...then when something goes wrong they complain about the KB when most likely it was human error......if you dumped it in the garbage and bought another you would still be miles ahead of the game....Warranty?...give me a break!!

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 06:36 PM

I've never had any problems with any of my PSR arrangers...and my keyboards get twice as much use as the average home player.

I invest $3000 for two PSR-S900 and use them both for three years or so, and I make quite a tidy sum of money with them, then sell them off, take the money and re-invest in two more....rinse and repeat.

That way, I'm always current with the latest and greatest technology, plus I always have a backup.

I have never had a button fail...the last two PSR-3000 I had, were problem free.

Any instrument can fail...or be dropped, or have something spilled into it...or be stolen.

The S900 is the best "bang for the buck" out there, portable, light, and awesome sounding, and still selling extremely well here in Eastern Canada.

Ian

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 06:39 PM

Ian I totally agree with you ........not to mention the GREAT sound also

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 06:46 PM

All well and good, Ian and Donny... I am happy you love your S900's

But perhaps you have a comment about why a $1700 WS is built with far superior components, keybed and case to a $1700 arranger? By the same manufacturer...

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 06:57 PM

Donny,
Not that long ago, we had to buy a TOTL arranger to get the great sounds and features we now get on the MOTL arrangers....so we can actually afford a backup without breaking the bank.

I couldn't imagine buying two G70 or two Tyros3 when two PSR-S900s will do the job with room to spare.

The last two TOTL arrangers I had were PSR-8000, and once the PSR-2000 became available, and it easily did everything I needed, then using two MOTL was the way I went from then on.

I won't use MP3 for backup, as it isn't my style, so I need another arranger, and luckily, Yamaha stepped up to the plate and kept giving us home run after home run with superb MOTL arrangers.

Ian
Posted by: bruno123

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 07:01 PM

Comment as you wish but both my friend and I are enjoying and loving our S900 since they came out -- not a single problem.

John C.

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/12/09 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
But perhaps you have a comment about why a $1700 WS is built with far superior components, keybed and case to a $1700 arranger? By the same manufacturer...

I can't explain that one Diki, my friend, but it seems that Korg, Yamaha and Roland are all doing it to some degree...they know what the market will bear I guess, wouldn't you think?

Just because the workstations have superior components and keybed to that of a similarly priced arranger. does not mean the arranger's keybed and components are poor...perhaps, in some cases, they are of a little less quality, but they are still extremely reliable, feel great, and work fine for their intended purpose, which is mainly as a "home" instrument...although some pros are clever enough to use them as OMB.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-13-2009).]
Posted by: Tom Cavanaugh

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/13/09 04:34 PM

If you haven't figured it out, workstations are PROFESSIONAL keyboards, arrangers are HOME keyboards. Professional workstations need to be better built because they are used harder and moved around a lot. I don't think that but I believe that the companies do.

Tom

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/14/09 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Just because the workstations have superior components and keybed to that of a similarly priced arranger. does not mean the arranger's keybed and components are poor...

Curiously, Ian, I have always had the impression that if one thing is 'superior' to another, then the lesser thing IS 'poor' in comparison.

Spin it all you want, it doesn't make this FACT any different. We are being ripped off, and having to 'bear' it. Only a sh*tstorm of protest from those being ripped off will do anything to change the matter... And it seems all too obvious that those with the most to gain are the least interested in making waves lest their precious self-perceived superiority take a tarnishing.

Whatever componentry Yamaha uses has no impact on the sound and OS of the S900, Ian... You can still lord it over the rest of us even if Yamaha make the thing as well built as their WS's. And then finally you'll be able to crow high quality construction, too

Instead of making excuses for 'home' construction that only Yamaha stoop to for arrangers. There are more WS's in homes than there are arrangers. I simply don't think your point is correct... apart from what the complacent market is willing to 'bear'.

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/14/09 12:34 PM

Quote:
Curiously, Ian, I have always had the impression that if one thing is 'superior' to another, then the lesser thing IS 'poor' in comparison.

p

One is very very good, the other is very good.

Ian
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/14/09 01:06 PM

The Yamaha 3000 I had (for two days), compared to ANY Roland, Korg or Solton/Ketron, appeared to be of far inferior build quality. Add regularly planned, forced obsolesence in the form of new "improved" models. That's why Yamaha and particularly the PSR series Yamahas are nothing I want to fool with.

Subjectively, the Yamaha arranger sounds are also inferior to many others, at least for my needs.

Please see "FOR MY NEEDS". If you like the Yamaha line, GO FOR IT! It's just not for me.

So there!

Russ

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/14/09 01:09 PM

Diki you're right. There's no excuse for it and yes the arranger players have been getting ripped off for years. It's obvious the arranger makers still target the older (well aged crowd) who are always willing to pony up the dough.

Supporters can cry HOME KEYBOARD all they want.., but tell me what excuses TOTL arrangers having construction quality associated with the home market. There's no justification for a 61 key pro arranger to cost MORE than the pro 61 key workstation and be built like a home keyboard. It's not always Yamaha ripping the consumer off either with the TOTL arranger prices. They ALL do it and until people stand up and start bitching to them about it they'll continue to do it for years to come.

What really bothers me about this forum sometimes is that those who perform seem to forget that for every pro performer on this board there's probably 10 home players. Not everyone performs and $3500-$4000 is A LOT of money to the home player. These younger kids DO like and WANT arrangers. They're just REALLY SMART today and know well enough they're being ripped off when they can get a full 88 key pro workstation for less.

It's not just arrangers either. Same thing goes for pro workstations. HUGE NUMBER OF HOME PLAYERS WITH PRO WORKSTATIONS.

All the makers know that the pros are using their mid and upper end arrangers for pro use.., but they'll continue to build them for home use and charge you well over the cost of a pro workstation and do this until people say enough is enough. A Yamaha Tyros 3 costs more ($400 more) than a fully weighted 88 key Motif XS8. It's just as bad with the other makers.., but they at least offer 76 keys in that high end price range.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-14-2009).]

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/14/09 01:11 PM

ripped off? hahahahahah yea right...
take a 1600.00 arranger and make 1000's of times your investment with it ......and thats a rip off....?

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/14/09 01:18 PM

Donny.., thank you you've PROVED my point. You're a performer. You need to remember that home players outnumber performers by a large margin. You're looking at it from a performers position. Put yourself on the home players side for once.

That's great if you perform and can see a return on your investment. Just keep in mind that's YOU and I'm willing to bet that if you stopped peforming it would't take you long to realize how arranger players do get ripped off on the high end and mid end (in terms of construction) and prices compared to the semi pro and pro workstation market.

Plus.., I agree that the $1,600 price tag isn't so bad (even though you can still get a semi-pro workstation that's built better for less).., but $1,600 ain't too bad. When you get up into the price range of say a PA-800 and other arrangers that cost more and are built to the same quality of a home keyboard.., well there it's clearly unbalanced.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-14-2009).]

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/14/09 01:27 PM

I'm very happy with my PSR-S900...inexpensive, great OS, superb SA and Mega sounds(exclusive to Yamaha) and very light and portable....nice responsive action, too.

And Donny, you're right...the investment to profit ratio is better than any other arranger, and if you're in this business to make good money and still have excellent performance from a keyboard, you can't go wrong with the S900.

Best "bang for the buck" of any arranger.

But one hardly needs my opinion on the matter. The market has spoken loud and clear...S900 rules big time!

Ian

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/14/09 01:34 PM

Exactly Ian...I've had them all just about... but nothing comes close to the bang for the buck that Yamaha gives you in an arranger KB in a Mid or TOTl ......I've performed for thousands of gigs with the psr 9000, 2k, 3k, s900, Tyros 1,2, & thankfully never had a problem...
that my friends is Quality.Not to mention third party support beyond the call of duty.

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/14/09 01:53 PM

Yep....the third party support is awesome...and when you think of it, $1600 is small change for an instrument that can make you mucho denaro every night....pays for itself in no time, and the rest is pure profit.

Home players don't seem to mind spending the bucks on TOTL home keyboards like the Tyros3, the G70 or even the PA-800...most are retired with the need for an interesting and productive hobby...music is ideal.

Ian

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/14/09 02:40 PM

Now, c'mon guys! Not one of you would be complaining if the S900 had a similar build quality to a MotifES or regular Motif, that WERE in the same price range. Yes, the price of a MoXS6 has risen to a bit above $2000, but you are getting WAY beyond S900 capabilities for that small increase in price (S900's are pushing $1700, these days).

The case and componentry have nothing to do with the increase between the two lines (older, cheaper Motif's were built just as well as newer XS's).

I am simply gobsmacked that, rather than admit that the toy-like construction of the PSR's is any detriment whatsoever, the Yamaha fanboys circle the wagon and come up with transparent excuse after transparent excuse for why they SHOULD be ripped off so blatantly. And you know what? Yamaha are reading this, rubbing their hands together, chortling at this, and going 'Look, it's working, it's working! The fools would rather keep being ripped off than admit we can make a mistake or improve!"

The triumph of advertising brainwashing over common sense... herd mentality.

Two legs bad, four legs good, two legs bad, four legs good, two legs bad, four legs good, two legs bad, four legs good, two legs bad, four legs good, two legs bad, four legs good, two legs bad, four legs good, two legs bad, four legs good, two legs bad, four legs good, two legs bad, four legs good, two legs bad, four legs good, two legs bad, four legs good, two legs bad, four legs good, two legs bad, four legs good...

Baaaaaaahhhhhhh....

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/14/09 03:02 PM

Couldn't agree with you more Diki.

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/14/09 04:48 PM

Quote:
The triumph of advertising brainwashing over common sense... herd mentality.

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-14-2009).]

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/15/09 12:19 PM

Guilty as charged

Mind you, I don't mind being in the herd that prefers well built instruments and value for money

You know, when you point out the 'bang for the buck' of the S900, has it occurred to you that this also applies to Yamaha? THEY are getting a pretty good 'bang for the buck' by selling you a much cheaper to produce keyboard at the same price as one that is much more expensively manufactured?

Where I come from, this is called getting ripped off. No doubt where you are from, this is called being a good 'Corporate Citizen'...

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/15/09 12:26 PM

Well said Diki. In this case Bang For The Buck means you got BANGED for your bucks by Yamaha for build quality.., yet charged a higher price for a plastic home keyboard. Man if that S-900 was built better I'd own it for sure! The beast is without a doubt a baby Tyros.., but like it's bigger brother it's a plastic home keyboard for a price that doesn't match it's quality of construction.

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/15/09 12:48 PM

Quote:
Guilty as charged

You know, when you point out the 'bang for the buck' of the S900, has it occurred to you that this also applies to Yamaha?

Yes, Yamaha must make a profit...good for them.

Certainly they deserve it for making such a terrific little arranger for under $2000.

I really don't care what profit they make, and you guys should realize that whining is not going to change anything, so I just pay my money and get what I want...an instrument that fits my needs perfectly, and is a sheer joy to play.

Life is too short to sweat the little details, and far too short for me to deny myself the things that make me happy.

Ian

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/15/09 01:17 PM

Actually, Ian... 'whining' (or as it is known in less fanboy circles "customer feedback" ) IS the way to get things improved.

You know, if, rather than rushing to 'poor' Yamaha's defense every time, you (and other PSR users) were a bit more honest about what you would like to see improved (I have no doubt whatsoever that if Yamaha improved the build quality WITHOUT jacking up the price - as they do for WS's - you would be crowing about that as loudly as you do it's other great qualities), Yamaha MIGHT take some notice. Most companies DO take notice of customer feedback (or go under quickly)...

But what you are doing now, singing the Corporate Anthem (do you do the morning calisthenics, sarariman? ) and kowtowing the 'official line' basically GUARANTEES that no improvement will be made. If you can't bring yourself to SAY what could be better, why should they even try?

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 05/15/09 01:55 PM

Quote:

You know, if, rather than rushing to 'poor' Yamaha's defense every time, you (and other PSR users) were a bit more honest about what you would like to see improved.

Yeah, I suppose that might work Diki, if I was actually coming to Yamaha's defence as you imply.

Not so, chum, I just happen to like their philosophy, their sound, and the way they do business...but they don't need to be defended by me, especially since they've done nothing wrong, other than do things their way, and not yours.

Your implication that I, and other PSR users are less than honest, is rather small of you to say...I would have thought you were a bigger man than that.

As far as your other comments about Yamaha's arranger vs. workstation build quality...you'd be far better off contacting them directly by email or phone, but I believe Yamaha's success in both arranger and workstation markets speaks much louder and clearer than anything you can muster....unless, you consider grandstanding on a forum more effective...in that case, fill your hat, although, I'm a bit afraid that it's a rather big hat to fill.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 05-15-2009).]

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 06/15/09 12:31 PM

The Yammie Repair shop just called me to explained me the motherboard was causing sound issues, they ordered a new one from Japan, which is going to take 3 more weeks plus 1 week labor. That's almost 10 weeks without keyboard, I just paid my last $199(5X$199)easy payments from AMS and still no keyboard. Will never buy any yammie toys ever. I think it's time to forget about overpriced plastic toys and get serious and affordable workstations(will try to get 2 workstation and will not be paying more than 2 grand each)

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 06/15/09 01:14 PM

1 bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch
Posted by: leeboy

Re: PSR S700/S900 unreliable! - 06/15/09 02:44 PM

100,000 a year in gigs...not bad...think I'll practice up and start gigging??

100,000 a year...not in Indiana. You must be talking about high cost of living areas?

OH, if folks are tired of the toy contruction...don't buy one again...until they change it.
But...be sure to tell them why you are not buying them.

As for me, as hard as it is becomming, if it says made in China I find another product (if I can). And I e-mail or call them to tell them whyI did not buy it.

Lee S.