Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS

Posted by: Dnj

Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/24/08 01:39 PM

A problem I had on my Pa800 was was that if I was playing a style & using the Multipads lets say a Latin thing like shaker/bongos etc, etc, that would play along with the style.......when I hit the ending button the song would go into the ending and finish BUT,... the Multipads would KEEP ON PLAYING for another measure or two
"AFTER THE SONG ENDED".... Argggggg!
Totaly not acceptable...

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 11-24-2008).]
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/24/08 04:18 PM

Hi Donny,
not sure if it's actually a bug. I'll check it out though.

Korg & Yamaha appear to have 2 different approaches, Korg the multipad plays even on the endings ( just have to press the stop button or assign one of the EC5 pedals to "Stop" (the pads.)
Yamaha's approach , the pads stop playing when the Ending starts.

Personally i'd find that more of a hassle if for instance, I was using a "non " christmas style to play carols & was just using some jingling bell pads to trick it up, all of a sudden the bells disappear when I press the Ending.

I think Chas explained it quite a while back.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dnj:
[B]

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/24/08 04:25 PM

Rikki thanx please try a few styles with MP's & see what I mean with new OS2 also.......IMO I Like Yamahas approach better....additionally you can always add jingle bells or anything to an intro/ending via the style creator to customize those few certain styles that need it....but having the MP's continue playing after the Ending is annoying & embarrassing in live play. Alternatively to also worry about shutting them off while your playing is confusing while your getting ready to play another song right afterwards. I couldnt live with it ....interesting to hear from other Korg players on this issue.

Kind Regards & thanx for the reply.
Posted by: leeboy

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/24/08 04:43 PM

Donny,
Yep, Still does that on some styes. Seems like if the style ending actually plays until the end of measure it's OK, but it seems the style play en gine still runs until end of measure even if the actual music stops a little sooner.

I'm going to send the request for a fix to Korg USA (Jerry) to forward on to Korg PA.

It's not huge deal, but you would think the engineers would notice it and fix it long ago??

Too much Wine, perhaps?

Lee
Posted by: zuki

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/24/08 06:33 PM

Yes, there are times in the ending that the pads will still play for a 1/2 measure of so. I just hit the pad end button a bit before, or at the ending - no big deal. It sure isn't worth the fuss with the fantastic pads that sound so realistic and ARE ON TIME

Picky, picky, picky.........

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/24/08 07:26 PM

Zuki,
Yes, a little picky...I guess I think differently then them (Korg) if I knew about a issue like that I would just fix the darn thing...right then.

I am a SW developer and that's the way I do business.

Why have little annoying issues to spoil your image and it can't be hard to fix!

Lee

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/24/08 07:37 PM

Picky?......It's a major performance issue just a ss the fills...there are flaws that need t be addressed in Korg arrangers...OS2 didn't address them obviously....but if you can live with them so be it...I couldn't.

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/24/08 08:12 PM

Yep, I can live with them. Tell me what board doesn't have flaws. It's the total package that counts. This one is minor and to give up because of that, oh well...

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/24/08 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Yep, I can live with them. Tell me what board doesn't have flaws. It's the total package that counts. This one is minor and to give up because of that, oh well...

Then again if you dont have to use the MP's much it won't effect your songs.

Good luck with OS2
Posted by: Nick G

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/24/08 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Then again if you dont have to use the MP's much it won't effect your songs.

Good luck with OS2

I use multipads so much on my PA 800 and i haven't noticed anything at all...

lets all bring negativity to Korg just as they release a new OS upgrade...

I just saw another thread bragging about Rolands unsurpassed Pianos... awesome I might check that out Donny it's so obvious what you are up to...

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/24/08 08:47 PM

Nick your the only one that doesn't have this Korg Pa800 MP extended stop problem described?.....
Posted by: Nick G

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/24/08 08:51 PM

Quote:
Nick your the only one that doesn't have this Korg Pa800 MP extended stop problem described?.....

im not saying its not there. i am not denying anything. i am just saying i have NOT noticed it at all and i am not going to go home and TRY stuff around looking for glitches just to proove your point...

we already all went through this last week with the fill issue which is another thing i STILL have yet to come across on my keyboard.

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/24/08 08:53 PM

Nick....I was just making the MP extended stop problem aware to owners so that maybe KORG would catch a whiff of it o & in future OS updates could possibly fix these things.

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/25/08 01:07 AM

Hi Donny,
a pad can be copied into an unused korg style track & made part of the style ( even more easily done than on a yammie)

I find it easier to just press stop on the EC5. Just becomes habit.

Pity, this function has put you off the Korg. I luv it more & more by the day.
I think mines, coming up for it's 1st birthday. Haven't been even slightly tempted to replace any of my keyboards, which is unusual for me, I used to hang out for that 2 to 3 year turn around period for the newest model, sometimes I replaced all 3.
Ever so thankful you put me on to the korg last year, strangely enough it was the PADS function that made me decide to buy it.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Rikki thanx please try a few styles with MP's & see what I mean with new OS2 also.......IMO I Like Yamahas approach better....additionally you can always add jingle bells or anything to an intro/ending via the style creator to customize those few certain styles that need it....but having the MP's continue playing after the Ending is annoying & embarrassing in live play. Alternatively to also worry about shutting them off while your playing is confusing while your getting ready to play another song right afterwards. I couldnt live with it ....interesting to hear from other Korg players on this issue.

Kind Regards & thanx for the reply.
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/25/08 04:41 AM

I have no problems with my pads on the Pa2xpro OS2. for me, pressing the Stop button stops the style and the pad that is playing. Am I missing something, or is that they way it's supposed to work?

Al

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/25/08 04:47 AM

Rikki.....

Your very welcome I'm glad your enjoying your Korg PA arranger...it definitly addresses many players REAL NEEDS armature & pro alike. There are so many really cool editing features not found elsewhere.Despite a few flaws of which all KB's have a few that need to be addressed asap if at all. I would still have to say that Korg is my #2 choice versus the Top four at this time.Roland being my #1.

Have a great Holiday

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/25/08 06:56 AM

Al,
Don't you use endings?

I use them all the time and sometimes I have a PAD running with the style when I press ending 1 or 2....the PAD will play after the style has quit!

I think I know whats wrong...looks like the style play engine keeps running until the end of the measure...but depending on the ending it runs out of notes before the end of measure...but the pads only end at end of measure.

It's not a huge issue...but according to some it has been there for a long time.

Why, don't they just fix it. Should be an easy one.

I noticed it in just normal playing of songs, so I sure wasn't looking for a problem.

Lee
Posted by: JCkeeys

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/25/08 07:35 AM

Along with this issue I would like the Pad to stop when a Fill is used. Once again not a big thing but depending on the pad, it sometimes gets in the way!

Donny ... I like the Roland arrangers (Had a bunch including the G70) but could not live without a BREAK FILL! My SD1 convinced me of that!! First Arranger with the Break Fill, I could never live without it.

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/25/08 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JCkeeys:
Along with this issue I would like the Pad to stop when a Fill is used. Once again not a big thing but depending on the pad, it sometimes gets in the way!

Donny ... I like the Roland arrangers (Had a bunch including the G70) but could not live without a BREAK FILL! My SD1 convinced me of that!! First Arranger with the Break Fill, I could never live without it.

JC we all have our playing styles & genre which incorporates many playing styles....some features are imperative to the player & some are useless to the next guy, no two people play exactly alike. There are a few Id love to have on my E60 I miss from my Ketron units also like "Drum Lock, Bass Lock," Of course there are one or two things on each keyboard we love that the next one doesn't have it but has something else.....you have to live with the best percentage of things that create YOUR comfort zone while playing.
Any discussions with the word "BEST" in its subject matter is meaningless....First think about #1 YOU, and then the rest is food for thought only.

Have a great Thanks giving!

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/25/08 02:49 PM

Good points Donny, but I also agree that the break fill is the best thing since sliced bread - Korg has that feature nailed! It add soooo much dimension in style playing (for me anyway) , more so than any other feature I've come across.

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 11-25-2008).]

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/25/08 03:15 PM

JC,
Yep, sounds like a great idea. I will add it to the description of the request for a fix over in the Korg place.
Thanks,
Lee

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/25/08 03:17 PM

Zuki....yes in certain songs the Break Fill is a very dramatic feature.....my E60 doesn't have it but I find workarounds here & there to compensate while playing, & some of the Roland styles have a pseudo break built in to the fills which is usable.

Happy Thanks Giving

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/27/08 01:10 PM

Hi Lee,
depends on what type of pads players are using.
Percussion pads play in the endings,
instrument pads like piano, guitar etc don't. They work the same as psr pads, they stop when an ending starts. BTW , psr pads play thru breaks also.

I think the only reason we sometimes hear a percussion pad keep playing past the ending, is, because it plays the full 1 bar loop, wheras an ending may stop in the middle of a bar.
Pads are only synced to a style, they're generic & not actually a part of it.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by leeboy:
[B]Al,
Don't you use endings?

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/27/08 07:44 PM

Rilli,
Yep, right on. Not a big deal, but worth fixing.

I use pads a lot, (they are a real sleeper on the PA!) and sometimes I forget to hit pad stop before the ending.

Lee
Posted by: Diki

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/27/08 11:50 PM

The break fill on the Korg is a great idea (same on the Yamaha's), but it has one significant problem...

If you only have three fills per style, and one of them is a B/F, that's leaves two regular fills for the entire style... simply not enough for a four variation arranger. It is, I believe, one of the contributing factors to the overall lack of smoothness in Korg fills compared to Yamaha and Roland.

It is WAY past time for Korg to change to a six or more fill system... Others manage it with little drama, and variation to variation fills would work smoothly no matter WHAT direction you went in.

A four variation arranger needs twelve fills to have one for each possible transition (not counting fill-to-same). Yamaha have six, Roland have seven, but if you have a B/Fill, Korg have TWO...

Not good enough, IMO.

Re: Another KORG problem.....hope it was fixed with the new 2.0 OS - 11/28/08 06:35 AM

Diki,
I see where you come from on this...In playing the last few days...it seems like overall it is not always any issue at all. Just occationally and only with some styles and a certain playing style. Maybe in PA3XPRO they will make that architectural change. I think it is a BIG effort to do so.

Meanwhile I love the fact that you can easily LOOP any style element. Yesterday I discoverd a nice ending 3 I liked...then I pressed it twice, getting it to loop, and I like it as a element to play during a part of my song.

Sounded real nice. Then just hit any other elemnt to go smoothly to it.

Lee