Not good in Korg land

Posted by: miden

Not good in Korg land - 11/12/08 09:27 PM

Check this thread out at the Korg forums...Some serious sh*t happening with the PA2xPro (and none of it good)
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38890

Dennis
Posted by: miden

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/12/08 09:38 PM

And this one as well...It's even a sticky it's that big of an issue!!
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=38577&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Posted by: Kingfrog

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/12/08 09:54 PM

Well....I liked the board but I thought there was far too many "features" IM not surprised and the 2.0 Firmware adding MORE features would not have eased my mind if I still had mine.

This is why I'll stick with Yamaha on these things, They were the first to the table with Clavinovas and don't try to put the kitchen sink into each new model and still will sell every one.
Posted by: Diki

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/12/08 10:25 PM

The fills issue thread also makes for interesting reading...

And I thought that only here would we get fanboy fact denials...

I especially loved the poster who naively asked 'why would anyone want to trigger a fill on anything but the 'one' ?
Posted by: mc

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/13/08 02:04 AM

Is this also an issue with the PA800 or just the Pa2x?
Posted by: Nick G

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/13/08 02:17 AM

seems to be only the PA2x?

I am using a PA 800 and i am literally TRYING to make the glitches that AJ has pointed out as well as other user who i think are using a PA2x and i honeslty cannot find this problem...

I am not being biast or in denial i truthfully cannot replicate these issues...

If I am trying my best to hear a glitch and im not hearing it them I am happy and its possible that it might not occur in the PA 800
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/13/08 02:29 AM

I've had my Pa2xPro since January, I have not had any lockups or LEDs blowing out. The fills are another issue, but I don't find them to be a show stopper.
Posted by: mc

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/13/08 03:48 AM

From reading some of the posts at the korg forum that was linked, it seems that the users that are having these problems are in Europe. Maybe it could be a batch that was made for Europe customers and not the United States. Not sure just a guess.

[This message has been edited by mc (edited 11-13-2008).]
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/13/08 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mc:
From reading some of the posts at the korg forum that was linked, it seems that the users that are having these problems are in Europe. Maybe it could be a batch that was made for Europe customers and not the United States. Not sure just a guess.

Could be a power supply issue.
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/13/08 06:17 AM

You'll also notice a response from Korg on those threads that there are No reports of problems from the Korg Service Centers?

Which means there seems to be a disconnect between user claims and the repair centers.

I can't see how that could be. If your keyboards LED's are not working, wouldn't you take it to a repair center under warranty; which is 3 years on Korg keyboards, btw.

Al
Posted by: hellboy44

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/13/08 06:19 AM

Wow.

They better fix this sh1t REAL quick....

(Makes me glad I didn't upgrade from my PA1x!)
Posted by: hitman

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/13/08 07:07 AM

Well, there might be some truth to the issues listed above.
But, we must take into account that some of the users tend to load any SET they find online, including Global files from previous PA models (BIG NO-NO).

I just think it's too much Keyboard for some people!
Posted by: JCkeeys

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/13/08 07:27 AM

I especially loved the poster who naively asked 'why would anyone want to trigger a fill on anything but the 'one' ?

Diki feel free to use my name ... I said it and I am far from NAIVE!!

Just the way my brain works!! I have played arranger KB's for 25 yrs and never feel the need to "Randomly" hit the fill button!! I hit it ON THE BEAT ... Therefore the "Problem" that some are talking about does not affect me.
I knew there was a reason I seldom post here!! After 8 years 'ya think I'd know better!!
Posted by: TommyF

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/13/08 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I can't see how that could be. If your keyboards LED's are not working, wouldn't you take it to a repair center under warranty; which is 3 years on Korg keyboards

It depends. Korg are using independent distributors in most countries so the quality of service and warranty conditions differs a lot. I have had a few problems with my Pa800 (a key playing with wrong velocity and a dark area on the display) but couldn't get it repaired under warranty (only a half year here in Denmark). I had the impression that the service center knew next to nothing about Korg keyboards and that their only mission was to avoid doing any repairs.

I only play for fun and would probably take my keyboard to the service center if it had a failed LED, but if you are a pro and use your keyboard every day to make money its a completely different story.

It's nothing new that Korg Italy denies a hardware problem. They did the same for a long time with the defect Pa800 sample ram. And there are still distributors that won't replace it for free!

Kind regards,
Tommy

[This message has been edited by TommyF (edited 11-13-2008).]
Posted by: leeboy

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/13/08 08:39 AM

Attention!

Keep this in perspective...only a VERY FEW PA800/PA2XPRO have had any hardware issues at all!

All but a few owners have had any problems at all reported. Most likely a few bad circuit boards got out?

But Korg needs to step up to the plate on a few things...this being one of them.

It is a superb instrument!
Lee
Posted by: Kingfrog

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/13/08 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
You'll also notice a response from Korg on those threads that there are No reports of problems from the Korg Service Centers?

Which means there seems to be a disconnect between user claims and the repair centers.

I can't see how that could be. If your keyboards LED's are not working, wouldn't you take it to a repair center under warranty; which is 3 years on Korg keyboards, btw.

Al

IM not sure if I would believe a manufacturer. They are not going to pubicaly admit to a problem that does not involve safety. I would not drop $3200 on a keyboard based on what I have read in those threads alone. USERS are the best resource. IF even 10 users are having the SAME issues, there may or may not be a universal issue. A bad batch whatever. I won;t take a chance until those users claim Korg has fixed their issues rather then deny they exist,

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/13/08 12:00 PM

JC, there is NOTHING 'random' in choosing to trigger a fill on the 'two' or the 'three'...

It's what most other arrangers handle with no problems, and a major part of using an arranger. Are you honestly trying to tell us that in 25 years of playing arrangers, you've NEVER wanted to play a pickup or half-fill..?

Limit yourself to ONLY being able to do what the arranger will let you, and your musical choices go down...

'Naive'? Apparently not... But deliberately choosing to only use a fraction of the arranger's potential (at least in regard to fills)? How would YOU describe it, then?

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/13/08 07:41 PM

Diki I did not say I would not or never have used a fill on other than the top of the bar! Just stating that when I tried to emulate the problem AJ raised it did not happen for me when the fill is activated on the beat, any beat 1,2,3,4!!. If you "Randomly" activate (In the cracks) you will get the glitch !! For whatever reason it is not a problem for me!! I can understand it maybe a problem for others and yes this is unique to "Korg" arrangers.
Posted by: Ensnareyou

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/13/08 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
Check this thread out at the Korg forums...Some serious sh*t happening with the PA2xPro (and none of it good)

I'd hardly call some blown LED's "serious sh*t" since the buttons themselves still operate but it would be annoying. The lockups the one poster spoke of are probably software related, not a hardware issue as he believes. I suspect the lockup issue will be addressed in the 2.0 update although Korg may not mention it in the update notes. The LED's were probably a faulty batch from a supplier and once replaced should last for years and years. The downside is of course the time it takes to have the LED's replaced.

I know all about lockups, my Yamaha 9000 Pro had more than I could count prior to Yamaha releasing a software fix. Even then Yamaha never once admitted there were any issues that caused these problems. At least Korg has acknowledged some users have had issues and asked other PA2X owners to report these problems so that they can make sure they are all remedied. That's better than a manufacturer sweeping it under the rug.

You may not be aware of this but on startup most modern keyboards do a complete diagnostic, adjust the AD/DAC's, and run a jack and audio check. Under normal conditions the user never realizes the system checks itself in this manner but when there are problems, it stands out like sore thumb. My Yamaha 9000 Pro had serious issues when it did the AD/DAC adjustment and often I'd have nothing but noise emit from the instrument, no sound at all, or worse yet extreme distortion and clipping. One might think this was a hardware issue but it was actually a serious software bug that caused these problems. Fortunately Yamaha did address some of these issues but not all the problems were remedied prior to Yamaha discontinuing the instrument.

Any instrument can be prone to failures and one should expect that these things can and do happen. The scope of the problem and how the manufacturer addresses it is shows you the type of service you can expect from that manufacturer in the future.

I've never had a hardware problem with any Korg keyboard I have owned and even with my Oasys Korg was always quick to offer bug fixes to their software. I'd like to have seen more changes to the Oasys software for added features to the sequencer and audio recorder but as far as bug fixes went, Korg couldn't be faulted.

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/13/08 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JCkeeys:
Diki I did not say I would not or never have used a fill on other than the top of the bar! Just stating that when I tried to emulate the problem AJ raised it did not happen for me when the fill is activated on the beat, any beat 1,2,3,4!!. If you "Randomly" activate (In the cracks) you will get the glitch !! For whatever reason it is not a problem for me!! I can understand it maybe a problem for others and yes this is unique to "Korg" arrangers.

JC, with respect, this is what you posted at Korgforums:

Quote:
Originally posted by JCkeeys:
I am far from being "Mister Perfect Musician" just an average guy who now just plays for fun (Many, Many years as a pro) but when I want a fill 99.9% of the times I get it at the top of the Bar not the 2nd beat?? Why would you trigger a fill on the 2nd beat??? That's were the issue shows up ... sometimes. With the way I play this never is an issue ...

You can hardly blame anyone for reading this the way I took it... So what is the REAL post? Either you trigger on the 'one' 99.9% of the time, or you don't, and either you pose a question about why trigger on the 'two', or you already know darn well why?

Two forums, two totally different positions...

Me, I only have the one
Posted by: Ketron_AJ

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/14/08 12:09 AM

The Fill/Break issue is being followed here with examples and how to re-create this situation.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/018533-2.html

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/14/08 06:41 AM

UPDATE,
I beleive work is on the way to solve this...Jerry at Korg USA has been in contact with Korg PA in Italy and, while there is no specifics yet, unless there is some specific reason that it can not be fixed...it will now be fixed. Don't know when...But we will stay on it until it is.

Jerry's help is much appreciated. Fixing this will just make a superb instrument better.

Meanwhile, this is no reason to bash Korg as it is a superb instrument and a very small group of people have had any hardware issues.

I personally beleive OS2 will be a lot of fun!

Lee

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/14/08 08:05 PM

Diki I will state again (and this will be the last time I respond to this 'cause it's turning into a P--sing contest)
When I press fill on the beat whether 1,2,3 or 4 I do not hear a "Glitch". If you press "In Between" up beat or whatever you want to call it, yes there is a "Glitch". But for me this is not a problem because I trigger the fill On The Beat. Once again I understand some would have an issue with this and Korg should accomadate those users if possible.
On another note ... The dealer that I purchase my Korg KB's from told me today he has not had one customer complain about this issue, lock up or LED's burning out. He is not a "Major" dealer but has sold over 30 PA2x KB's this year ... No problems??? We are located right here in Long Island NY about 10 miles from KORG USA and all product comes directly from them.
To clarify my previous statement .... 99.9% of the time I will start a fill on the 1 instead of 2 not to say I NEVER use a fill on 3 or 4, I do.
I do not mind anyone disagreeing with me but ridicule is not appropriate here or anywere else IMHO!!

[This message has been edited by JCkeeys (edited 11-14-2008).]
Posted by: trident

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/14/08 11:09 PM

Maybe a solution would be for the OS to buffer the keystroke intil the next beat?
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/15/08 03:51 AM

Maybe a solution would be to find out what Yamaha, Roland, and Ketron is doing, and do that.

chas

Re: Not good in Korg land - 11/15/08 08:20 PM

We will ether get this fixed (it may take some time) or be told it CAN NOT be fixed ( I don't think this will happen).
If we are told it will not be fixed ( Maybe in Pa3???) the some folks may decide to get something else...and I think some future sales will suffer as well.

We are told Korg is working on it and that's good enough for me. Jerry at KorgUSA is following on it and I trust Jerry to do his best on this.

Meanwhile I am enjoying playing the Pa2 a lot.

Lee