A Speaker Question / Please Help !!

Posted by: jedi

A Speaker Question / Please Help !! - 09/03/08 04:08 PM

Hi Guy`s

I have a question !

Can you use your home surround system for a musical KB.

My set up:

Amp: Yamaha DSP-A1

Speakers are all Boston A`s

Main: VR-40 --- x2
Center: VR- 12
Rear:CR-8 --- x2
Front F/X: HD-5 --x2

Sub:

Velodyne SPL 1200 ----x1

Question is:

Will running a musical KB do damage to my speakers ?

Thanks for your help.

Gary 

[This message has been edited by jedi (edited 09-03-2008).]
Posted by: leeboy

Re: A Speaker Question / Please Help !! - 09/03/08 05:17 PM

I don't thnk using your keyboard will damage your speakers??? Just don't overdrive them. What will damage speakers is the amp not having enough power thus causing heavy distortion (clipping) at high output levels...That will blow speakers.

You typically only have 2 main and 2 aux outputs on a board... no sub woofer specifically (except Tyros). so you certainly are not going to get 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1

Lee

Re: A Speaker Question / Please Help !! - 09/03/08 05:23 PM

Thanks for your help Lee , I appreciate it.

Take care

Gary 
Posted by: Diki

Re: A Speaker Question / Please Help !! - 09/03/08 10:38 PM

Truth is, most peoples' home theater systems are FAR more powerful and louder than just about any arranger's built in speaker system...

Only problem is you might be sitting some distance from it, which firstly will make you tend to play louder (not that that's a BAD thing ) and secondly will add a certain latency to what you are hearing (1 ms/ft roughly) so a big room may 'disconnect' you with your playing, a bit.

But, on the whole, if you never play your arranger louder than you would tend to play a CD through the same system, you should be alright.
Posted by: abacus

Re: A Speaker Question / Please Help !! - 09/03/08 11:53 PM

Also be aware of the shock you will get when you hear how different your keyboard sounds, compared to what you are used too.
Another point is switching off Pro-logic etc, as the effects programs of keyboards play havoc with the spatial performance.

Bill

Re: A Speaker Question / Please Help !! - 09/04/08 07:03 AM

Hi Diki & Bill ,

Thanks for your help and advice !

I was concerned that the dynamics of playing a KB through "normal-home" speakers would be too much of a strain.

I guess moderation would be the key.

Take care,

Gary 