gear and software available

Posted by: Fran Carango

gear and software available - 06/06/08 10:36 AM

Roland G-70 with 1 gig Compact flash cards..

MediaStation X-76..

EMU Xstand61 controller..

Software:

Native Instruments Bandstand, Kontakt3, Kore2, B4,FM8,Massive,

Acoustica MixCraft4..

Proteus X2..

Roland Hyper canvas, Super Quartet, VSCDXI,Orchestral..

Sony Acid Pro..

Cakewalk Sonar..

PowerTracks..

Band in the Box..

Ableton Live5

GigaStudio3..

HP Pentium4 3.06 desktop, with 4 gigs ram..twin 250 gig drives..17"flat screen monitor..

Assorted SCSI drives..Zip drives and Jazz drives..

Compaq pentiun4 laptop 2.8...loaded..

2 Apex stands with mic booms..

Ultimate Support V Stand with shelf and mic Boom..

Mackie CFX12 mixer..

Pair Yorkville NX520p's

Yorkville 700 watt Subwoofer..

Peavey Monitor..

SoundCraft monitor..

4 Roland Cube 100 keyboard amps[the good ones] with custom covers..

Roland Cube 60 ..

Tune 1000 Harmony Box..

Alesis 6 mixer with effects..

Assorted Keyboard cases with wheels (Gator and GigSkinz)..

AT mics corded and wireless..

I retain the right to cancel any or all offers....

Now I feel better
Posted by: Dnj

Re: gear and software available - 06/06/08 01:26 PM

Fran.....its about time you cleaned house!

Good Move
Posted by: zuki

Re: gear and software available - 06/06/08 09:22 PM

Fran, you're supposed to play in nursing homes, not join one
Posted by: Bachus

Re: gear and software available - 06/07/08 09:56 AM

what gear do you keep Fran?

Are you very dissapointed about the mediastation?
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: gear and software available - 06/07/08 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bachus:
what gear do you keep Fran?

Are you very dissapointed about the mediastation?

Not at all....The Mediastation has so much potential...I need to upgrade the hardware as Domenik has mentioned...

After an all day project with software and some frustration..I thought back to the easy days with my accordion[still have it]...Posting all this gear gave me emotional relief...now I am fine..

Many folks have inquired about my G70...I guess they are still in demand..

I will keep the G70 till the next new Roland lights my fire..even if it takes another 9 years{like the time between my G1000 and G70}....

Re: gear and software available - 06/07/08 11:38 AM

Well i just bought myself an edirol PCR 800 today, hooked it up to my PC and after a strugle of severall hours i finally got Kontakt 3 hooked up to the Asio drivers of my X-fi ..

And then magic happened, i played just the accoustic piano sounds for 3 hours.... I put 3 different piano's on top of eachother and the sound was so phat so lively, so addicting...

Softsnths are definately frustrating to set up but whne they work.... Ouch.
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: gear and software available - 06/08/08 02:56 AM

Bill
I definitely understimated the complexity of the software route. I bought a Receptor, Collossus, B4II, Kontakt II, etc. B4II is the only one I can use live. If you had that much trouble, can you imagine my frustration ? It is not for the faint of heart.

My main problem is modulation, in Kontakt. Trying to get delayed vibrato set up inside of Kontakt hasn't given me the results I want, eventhough the sounds are pristine. Maybe, I should be controlling it from the controller instead.

Re: gear and software available - 06/08/08 03:52 AM

There are so many options in Kontakt, that you get lost so easy.....
Posted by: Diki

Re: gear and software available - 06/08/08 10:48 AM

Personally, I'm a huge fan of pitch-strips when it comes to vibrato. Rocking your finger back and forth can give a VERY natural vibrato, far better than some mechanical delayed LFO with a fixed period. Let's face it, if you spring for the ultimate in realism by going the software route, why ruin it by using a mechanical vibrato?

If you absolutely HAVE to have a hands-free delayed vibrato (because both your hands are tied up), at the very least, try to modulate the LFO 'speed' as well as depth... Most real instrument players will speed up the vibrato as it gets deeper, and slow it down on just slight touches. Program the LFO to be a bit slower than you would like, and use an envelope (if you are doing this hands free) to ramp up the speed to slightly faster than you like over time. This can help at least get away from the static nature of most arranger vibratos, that have no modulation of speed at all...

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 06-08-2008).]
Posted by: LIONSTRACS

Re: gear and software available - 06/08/08 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bachus:

Well i just bought myself an edirol PCR 800 today, hooked it up to my PC and after a strugle of severall hours i finally got Kontakt 3 hooked up to the Asio drivers of my X-fi ..

And then magic happened, i played just the accoustic piano sounds for 3 hours.... I put 3 different piano's on top of eachother and the sound was so phat so lively, so addicting...

Softsnths are definately frustrating to set up but whne they work.... Ouch.

Hi Bachus
then for sure you have understand what for a big code work we have for manage this all softsynth in realtime switching and to integrate the basic features on the Mediastation keys panel code.
Anybody there can install one PC application BUT then manage this all application in realtime is really a BIG issue ( where almost we lose the time)
We are right now to cnfigure the all MS leds/keys status manager for integrate in realtime another 8+2 ASIO Outs switcher on the midi router.
Each ASIO key must have the feature of loading a new ASIO applicaction, switch in realtime the midi out port, remember always where are the asio setups and check every time is pressed that NO another time the same application will be reloaded...

anyway..just time and nerve patience and will be resolved too.

Just spent today some hours to reading the korg forums about the PAX and PA800 ( where you also have posted too) http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=50
I will not link a specific link for respect..but also the Korg have really a LOT of problems and issue still to resolve.
Do not read the link about the support ( generic....) how many people are so upset and waiting years for...( no comments)
But they of course are Korg...they can resell Uncomplete software and full of bugs too...

This is the lucky of the big brand..
cheers

Re: gear and software available - 06/08/08 02:43 PM

Just more one question ( I will not pull up the old topic....)
I wrote there:
Hello...what we have now to restart again with the copyright argument?
Is already cloned the whole Yamaha Tyros, some Korg, Roland Fanthom and so on.. and?
read here: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25832
I still waiting...

what happen with the: Lionstracs broken the copyright.... on korgforums link??
After of full blame me they have finally resolved this issue and deleted all?

They wrote:
short life on lionstracs...
yes yes..I'm still here!
cheers my friends!
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: gear and software available - 06/08/08 03:08 PM

Diki
Thanks for the reply to vibrato problem. Now, If only knew what a pitch strip is, if the mod wheel doesn't cut it.

Re: gear and software available - 06/08/08 10:07 PM

Well the big problem with sofware development is that its so complex nowerdays, that it would take years for a development team to find all the bugs...

Commerciall software development teams like microsoft have hundred thousands of beta testers and they even can't create bug free software at release.

Now companies like Lionstracs and Korg that actually make arrangers based on software running on dedicated hardware and they have no beta testers at all, just the development team. So it will take them much longer to figure out the problems..

Seems like Ketron is currently having a hard time developing the Audya (which is also a software based system)

I give all credit to Lionstracs for trying to fix this with such a small team, and if they can pull of a working Q-ranger they have made another step towards the top.

For now, i'll keep struggling with my own hardware and i'll probably need to buy another soundcard to get anything done on Linux as creative labs has the worst driver support in all the world, They just added reasonable low lattency asio support for vista last month and there are no drivers for Linux at all, just some beta drivers that don't work to good on the latest 32 bit kernels... And the OSS drivers are no option because they lack most of the needed interfacing for JACK and such.

Yes i truly understand the struggle of developing a software instrument.

Re: gear and software available - 06/09/08 10:50 AM

I think Korg has little worry about the copyright issue at the moment due to the fact that sales of the MS are negligible (in their terms), and they view the MS as no competition whatsoever.

But should it ever start to cut into their sales in any significant way, we'll probably see a re-visit of the issue.

The way I see it at the moment, few are actually using the MS as a straight ahead arranger other than maybe his hard core Serbian speed-freak users (do these guys actually know how to play a whole note? Just kidding, guys! Don't fatwah me ). As far as I can figure out, most over here, at least, are just using it as a sort of Muse Receptor with a keyboard attached (nobody posts much, that's for sure).

So this doesn't really compete with any of Korg's products, being an utterly different thing. It would probably cost them more to sue than what they could recover given a favorable ruling....

But, as I've said before, I will be interested in Dom's response if anyone ever cracks the MS software, and releases it for free so anyone with a PC can run Mediastation without buying one of Dom's dongles (er, I mean keyboard). And then bragging about it in public and going 'where are all Dom's lawyers? Bring it on!'

Copyright infringement and intellectual property theft are a LOT more serious an issue when it's YOUR intellectual property being stolen, eh Dom?

Re: gear and software available - 06/09/08 11:32 AM

LOL
what give to stolen in my OS that is full linux open source??
they con download the source of the all application installed where they like.
IF also they can have the possibility to acess of the mediastation OS code, they will be scared after found aboot 560.000 lines of C++, LUA and QT code. ( is about half MS Windows 3.1 OS code, that we have developed in less 4 years)
IF then they are able to "dongle" one MS hardware, need some years.. ( and IF they are able to produce VGA Cards, or they can ask me to resell my unique worldwide LVDS VGA card for industrial products) remain the fact that they have to rewrite and porting the 95% of they embedded firmware, NOT compatible at all under Linux.
Then, 3th..they have to setup a totally new Linux developer team that have know how about audio-midi..mean another 4-6 years...
after 4+6 years how much new code and feature can have the mediastation? mean that they have to restart again untill they can compete with my OS?

Look at the audya..now are about 3 years with one prototipe that still is not working for the basic features and still they are glue with the old 10 years Dream dated and limited chipset.
Starting to produce a new generation keyboard with 10 years old DSP chipset that can NOT match with the power of one PC system is a totally suicide...
I give they 1 year life of this keyboard when is released and then they have to remake the all hardware again.

Not enough?
look at the OASYS, one open ( close) system that you are not able to upgrade the 5 years old mainboard, the display is only 640x40 so slow that alsa can never open one standard 800x600 page.
16 bit audio card with the audio controlled by analog slider...
really a BIG software developement in one dated hardware system...all the hardware keyboard have to be project again.
it mean another 3-4 years...

anyway..welcome if someone can entry in the PC X86 field and open source, then finally we can share some OS together..

cheers

[This message has been edited by LIONSTRACS (edited 06-09-2008).]

Re: gear and software available - 06/09/08 12:06 PM

Domenico any word on the release of the new 61 key MS unit? I'd be interested in knowing more about it for sure.
Thank You for all your efforts.

ciao

DP

Re: gear and software available - 06/09/08 12:20 PM

already started to ptoduce a new big qualtity of MS electronic boards.
I think we will receive the fist X-61 case beginn August, then for september I think we are ready to shipping.
Another totally different nice AMD2 hardware will come out in september...
Slow slow ( we are not yammy..) but always my promise come out..( always before the all slower big others)
Someone there already saw the prototype pictures...
You will be informed, don't worry
cheers

Re: gear and software available - 06/09/08 12:46 PM

Is he really asking for 61 keys?

Re: gear and software available - 06/09/08 01:03 PM

Dom, try looking up the word 'empathy' in Italian.

If you can't even conjecture how it would feel to have the results of YOUR hard work ripped off by someone else, it's no wonder you have so little regard for doing it to others.

Perhaps this might help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethic_of_reciprocity

The Golden Rule is 'Do unto others as you would have them do unto you', NOT 'Do unto others anything you can get away with, and do it before they do it to you', if I remember correctly
Posted by: miden

Re: gear and software available - 06/09/08 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
......'Do unto others anything you can get away with, and do it before they do it to you'

And sadly, therein lies the raison d'etre of modern society.

Dennis

Re: gear and software available - 06/09/08 02:56 PM

Diki...
automatically the wikipedia gave me this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envy
just look around in the all other brand forums for see how much they are offender my products.. you are in the same line...
Give also who talk only good of me of our capacity: http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/linux-its-not/Apr-07/27458 http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/audio/partners/partners_envy24.jsp

But then when you read the all others topic and see how people are so upset for the toys features ( and bugs) that they contine resell..i have only to laugh...

The only amazing keyboard that I respect now is the Roland Fantom G series, because they really made a BIG jump in the software, hardware quality and modern desing,for sure will be a winner keyboard.

All the others keyboards are only recycled hardware/software from years and years...

For a totally sure mine is really a small company, but the "envy" of the others is really so big.
It mean that in technology and software we don't have really nothing to learn.
For your know, with my engineers, we develope IP STBs Set Box for support High Definition TV, Low Bit Rate codec like MPEG4 and H264, Web TV and PVR.
Maybe you remember the G-800/megafloppy? http://www.synrise.de/docs/types/r/roland/roland_g33-gk2a.htm

This just to give they the idea of what we can produce...

For sure we can have a lot of bugs too ( or Windows Vista or the others brands OS are perfect??) but shown me just ONE products that have the 10% of the features that we have implemented on the MS.

Remember one stuff...we are on 2008 where kids are playing with playstation, cellulars, PC and so on..and they continue resell always the same stuff.
Just some keyboards ( after more 10years of life...) start to play the Mp3, where now you can buy one Mp3 payer on one USB memory stick for 20 dollars.

so...choose you if this is a shame or not and then of course really so easy to blash me for..."envy"

I'm envy with you Diki too, because you can play in the CA beach and drink a lots of beers with nice blonde CA girls...LOL

This is the tru envy Diki..not my MS..

[This message has been edited by LIONSTRACS (edited 06-09-2008).]

Re: gear and software available - 06/09/08 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LIONSTRACS:
already started to ptoduce a new big qualtity of MS electronic boards.
I think we will receive the fist X-61 case beginn August, then for september I think we are ready to shipping.
Another totally different nice AMD2 hardware will come out in september...
Slow slow ( we are not yammy..) but always my promise come out..( always before the all slower big others)
Someone there already saw the prototype pictures...
You will be informed, don't worry
cheers

Thank you Dom.....I'll be looking for it very soon .asap

Re: gear and software available - 06/09/08 08:52 PM

Dom... Envy?

You mean envy, as in "I envy Yamaha and Korg's sales figures"?

Look, we are not stupid here (although it sounds like it sometimes! )... I work in high end studios and use TOTL recording programs and high end software instruments. Been doing it for years. If your product was anywhere NEAR as functional as a 'closed' arranger, I'd have got one from Day 1. But constantly touting technical superiority, when the basic sound and function is a shadow of a 'closed' arranger (at 1/4 the price) is not going to fool but a few. A VERY few. A very stupid few.

No matter how much technobabble you spout. I got ears, we all got ears. Instead of telling us all about the HDMI outputs, or your latest batch of Serbian styles, why don't you give it a rest, and get back to us when you have an arranger that sounds better than a T2, G70 or PA2X Pro out of the box. Styles, sounds, and functionality. Try just EQUALING them first, before you try to hoodwink us into believing the MS is BETTER than them...

My take on envy...? As in "I don't envy your job, Dom. I don't have to TALK people into thinking I'm any good. All they have to do is listen..."