Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum?

Posted by: Anonymous

Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/06/08 02:09 PM

Hello Everyone!...I'm one,have been for about 4 years. Mostly home Keyboard player,self taught who Loves Music.My Wife is a Pianist. I'm 59 Years young...
Neigel deserves alot of gratitude for providing this wonderful forum, Thank You! I read the forum daily. Really alot of Great People. So much talent. I see Many Professionals taking their talents to Senior Living Centers,etc...That is Wonderful!!! Putting the JOY of Music in their Lifes.Thank You So much. My Step-father 92 years young just entered a senior center.
I also enjoy learning the ins and outs of the Different Arrangers. How A Yamaha may fit one's needs, Maybe Roland another,Korg another,etc...That's GOOD It would be boring if Everyone used the SAME!
One thing I think about and don't see much of is...little partipation on the forum other than the usuals(no offense)....
I know one of the greatest Character traits of most Musicians is sharing what they have already learned with others...to TEACH,To HELP, To put Music into the Hearts of others...To me This is the Ideal place.
Maybe the lurkers need to be ask How can We Improve to help to You Grow in Your Music?
Maybe they are affaid to come aboard because they are not accomplished Musicians?
Maybe they are afraid because of the bickering?
Maybe they are afaid because if they post music it will become a outside bickering take over?...Gee look at Frans post I guess I love to be punished...We understand the Humor, but do they?
What Do all You fine People think?...I'm just a average Joe!
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/06/08 02:37 PM

Hi Harold
I am glad you posted. I came over from a different part of Synthzone, and lurked for awhile in the General Forum before I posted.

I learned that as long as you represent yourself in a courteous and honest manner,no one is apt to flame you. I have found new friends here that go out of their way to be helpful. On the otherhand, if I came on as a smart ass, it would be a different ballgame.

If you will notice, the bickering is both kidding, and kidding turned serious. These guys know each other, and it should have no bearing on a lurker, eventhough it probably does.

Come on in, it's safe, and more importantly, it could be very helpful to you.

Bernie
Posted by: KeithB

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/06/08 02:38 PM

It is just normal that some are contributers and others are not. Ever served on a school board, a tennis club committee etc? You will have experienced that it is the few who do the work, and the many who passively enjoy the result. I personally haven't a problem with this. It is a reflection of our different natures.
Keith
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/06/08 02:47 PM

On most user-participation sites, you almost always hear from the same 1% of users, who almost certainly differ from the 90% you never hear from.

Ian
Posted by: John DiLeo

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/06/08 06:20 PM

Hi Harold,

I also lurked for a long time & finally took the plunge. Yes the arguing is a big turnoff, but I just read around it. As an amature I didn't think I fit in here too much..I'm trying teach myself to play the arranger KB, I have a PSR3000 which I enjoy playing very much. I've been trying to ween myself off one finger chords & use more complex fingered chords in my left hand, it just sounds better to me.
Posted by: chony

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/06/08 08:42 PM

Hi Harold,

If you've been here for 4 years yet you're still a Junior member, you're probably in the best position to answer your own question!

What's your reason for 'lurking'?
Posted by: cassp

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/07/08 05:36 AM

Harold, a belated welcome to you. You've been here about as long as I have. You lurk , I participate. I'm sure you know the characters around here as well as anyone. Once you 'know' someone, what would be the harm if you posted once in a while? You should pretty much know what type(s) of reply to expect. If that scares you away, then I guess you've answered your own question.

Participating, for me, is simply a way of belonging to group. I taught school for 33 years and always worked with a tight-knit group of characters. This is kind of like that for me now. I enjoy reading most of the posts and hate it when some of us get a little too full of ourselves or act like possessive little kids. But most of the time it's just a good time with friends.

I've only met one SZ member personally, Tony Rome, but I feel I could easily meet most SZ members and feel at home immediately because of the unique bond this group possesses.
Posted by: hellboy44

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/07/08 05:46 AM

Harold, just hang around and post in the threads I post in...

I'll make YOU look popular and well liked....
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/07/08 05:57 AM

I have tried lurking....but they draw me right back in..
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/07/08 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Harold S:
Neigel deserves alot of gratitude for providing this wonderful forum, Thank You!

Sorry, Harold. You're not allowed to post again 'til you learn to spell Nigel's name correctly.

chas

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/07/08 08:53 AM

If spelng were a reason for suspendering posting privledges, then they're woodn't be anyting to reed.
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/07/08 09:21 AM

Hey Cass, while I've got you. What are you using with that 808s and how well does it 'pull off' the 'leslie' thing when used with you XK1? You were very correct about the Cerwin Vegas not cutting it and I've been half-heartedly looking for replacements every since. I was considering the SA-1000 from Roland but suspect that I'd need two and don't want to pay 2400 beans for the pair. I always feel uncomfortable (now that I'm old) going down to the music store with my C1 under my arm, asking to audition a dozen different speakers; powered and unpowered/808s. I need a STRONG recommendation now, which I will purchase from a store with a good return policy. Generally, I lean towards keeping the 808s and going with two unpowered, 12" cabs, < 35lbs, and not over $500 ea. What say you?

chas

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/07/08 04:44 PM

Thanks Everyone for your kind words!...Maybe if I share a little more about myself it will help. At present I own NO arranger. The last 1-2 Years I have been renovating our Home,doing 80% of the work myself plus my full time job. Getting our Home in order before retirement,etc. My son builds Homes. My wife will retire from Her full time job in the next few months. She will work part time from Her new Home office for My Son...I hope to retire in 2-3 Years...Maybe I'll be the coffee Guy for my Son!....So much for all that stuff...but my time has been really limited. Hopefully opening up soon.
My Wifes Piano is a Roland RD-300sx Stage Piano very nice. Has the Ultimate Grand X Sample as the G-70, etc...Pretty light also...The only thing I have some arthritus in my fingers. It bothers me to ply the hammer action very long.
BUT....I'm really getting the bug for a arranger again...checking in on this forum,U-tube,Ketron Audia,New Tyros coming,psr-900,New Korgs out,G-70 with the new os system it's darn near driving me up the wall!!!! I've owned quite a few. I'll agree with most here, each has their strengths,etc...One nice thing I still have a Roland A-37 76 key controller if I need to use it. I do prefer 76 keys...
Hummmmmmm... How long can I hold off???
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/07/08 06:07 PM

I'd say you might last until you play the Tyros3...then you're a goner.

Ian

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/07/08 06:56 PM

Harold....
why not try the Midjay with that A37 controller? Might be a good combo.

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/07/08 07:02 PM

chas - The only stereo linkup I have used with the XK-1 are my CM-30's with a sub, but that was a small room. The separation and Leslie simulation was very good in that situation. With the 808s I run Mackie i300's for the mains and have used a pair of Soundtech 12" wedges for monitors. So I run mono, mains and monitor mixes. There might be a slight stereo feel by hearing both mixes, which I can usually do.

My thought would be if stereo speakers are separated too far apart, you might get more of a rolling phase than a doppler effect, but that's just speculation on my part. Run thru a mono setup, I feel the XK-1 Leslie is pretty darn good. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Still loving my E-60, XK-1 setup, but I could live with the G70 again if presented with the possibility. I'm not looking or asking, just stating. The G70 has the best stage keybed I've ever used.

Harold, sorry for hijacking your post. Back to you, bud.

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/07/08 07:56 PM

Ian...Good Possibility! I Really like the Sax,Guitars and alot of Styles on the Yamaha...Kinda liked Diki's Idea used G-70 with Psr-900 on top. I don't take my keyboards out much...Always enjoyed playing Piano with Style(full keyboard) and reaching up adding some Sax,etc using both boards live...Nice to have both Roland and Yamaha Styles...The strengths of each Company.
John...I'm not really crazy about the keybed action of the A37. It's a very light and compact controller though. Is the Midjay really designed to function work as a arranger?
Cassp...No problem Sir...It sounds like your E-60 works well for You.
But... The New Korg Pro2 sure makes your mouth water...76 Keys, Beautiful keyboard,compact,Great sounding Piano. Everyone Sure seems pretty happy with their 800's and Pro's!
I sure hope My Wife says "Job well done Dear on the House Project" I think You better replace Your Arranger Keyboard Now!!!

Re: Ever wonder why so many Lurkers on this General Arranger Forum? - 04/07/08 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Harold S:
John.... Is the Midjay really designed to function work as a arranger?

Here is some info on the MIDJAY
http://www.ketronus.com/midjay.php