My PA800 arrived yesterday!

Posted by: hitman

My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/28/08 07:22 PM

Well my first impressions are :

- Keybed = horrible (for $2200 I expected better)
- OS = not very logical
- Styles = Awesome
- Sounds = Fantastic ( all the editing options are amazing )
- Does not seem very practical for live playing.
- Miss more FILL's
- Miss arranger control through aftertouch
- Miss Upper, Lower buttons ( mute )

- Drums and Bass are punchy but far from Roland's Powerful!

So far that's all I got ( in 12 hrs that I have spent with it).

I will keep it for a few weeks just to give it a chance. More than likely I will be looking for a G70!
Posted by: Dnj

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/28/08 07:32 PM

Congrats on your new Pa800. Try to get your hands on the Tutorial DVDS, it might speed up your progress. Keep us posted & good luck.
Posted by: abacus

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/29/08 02:45 AM

Only Roland (Heavy) and Yamaha (Light) make their own arranger keybeds, the rest use OEM versions of Fatar keybeds and will all feel pretty much the same. (The more expensive the arranger, the more expensive the Fatar keybed that is used)
Personally I find them a nice balance between heavy and light.
Good luck with your further investigations, and make sure you have the latest update.

Bill
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/29/08 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
Only Roland (Heavy) and Yamaha (Light) make their own arranger keybeds, the rest use OEM versions of Fatar keybeds and will all feel pretty much the same.

Bill,

From what I understand, Korg make their own keyboards/actions, light, semi-weighted, and heavy...they also used to employ Yamaha keybeds at one time.

I didn't know that Roland made heavy action arrangers(unless you are referring to the KR-series)...the G70 is a semi-weighted action.

The T2 uses a semi-weighted action as well....AND Yamaha also make heavy(weighted hammer) action arrangers in their CVP line.

I was under the impression, at least from what other PA-800 owners report, that the keybed was very satisfactory....but to each their own.

Ian
Posted by: abacus

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/29/08 04:14 AM

Hi Ian
I am talking about the feel of the keyboard, the Yamaha has a very light touch whereas the Roland has a heavier touch, (Go back through various posts and you will find some players prefer the heavier touch of Roland whereas others prefer the lighter touch of Yamaha) the Korg is in the middle.
Manufactures swap and change the parts they use with different models, and the last time I checked (Which was about a year ago) Korg were using Fatar keybeds. (As do most European designed and manufactured keyboards)
Regards

Bill

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/29/08 04:23 AM

Bill, I played the T2 and the G70...they were pretty close...I found both too light for piano, but workable for arranger stuff.

I did think the Tyros2 had the edge in playability, but that's a subjective thing.

Personally I prefer the S900's keyboard...very light and fast.

As far as Korg using Fatar? Maybe you're right...anything is possible these days.

Ian
Posted by: jedi

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/29/08 06:44 AM

IMO :

The Yamaha FSX key-bed is one of the best out there.

It should be on the S900 , O__well

Take care

Gary 

[This message has been edited by jedi (edited 03-29-2008).]
Posted by: trevorjohn

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/29/08 06:58 AM

I would reply to one of Hitman's points that the PA800 does not seem suitable for live playing.. I have only been to one concert in the UK where this keyboard was being played.. The artist was Rod Pooley and he had no difficulty whatever in putting on a brilliant performance.

Trevor

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/29/08 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jedi:
IMO :

The Yamaha FSX key-bed is one of the best out there.

It should be on the S900 , O__well

Take care

Gary 

Probably easier to put rubber buttons on the Tyros.

Ian
Posted by: DanO1

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/29/08 08:46 AM

My biggest problem with the PA800 is the master volumne control & style volumne use the same lever.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/29/08 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by hitman:
Well my first impressions are :

- Keybed = horrible (for $2200 I expected better)
- OS = not very logical
- Does not seem very practical for live playing.
- Miss more FILL's
- Miss arranger control through aftertouch
- Miss Upper, Lower buttons ( mute )

- Drums and Bass are punchy but far from Roland's Powerful!

So far that's all I got ( in 12 hrs that I have spent with it).

I will keep it for a few weeks just to give it a chance. More than likely I will be looking for a G70!

Didn't you test it before you bought it?
t.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/29/08 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
My biggest problem with the PA800 is the master volumne control & style volumne use the same lever.

DanO,
At first I disliked the balance slider to blend KB sounds with arranger patterns too, but after a short while I found it to be better for the overal performance. If you raise the lead for a solo and never return it to a lower setting, you find yourself raising the acc to compensate, then another lead, another raise...till the volume creeps WAY up. The balance slider keeps things in proportion! I like it better this way.
Posted by: jedi

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/29/08 02:07 PM

"Easier to put rubber buttons on a Tyros"

LOL

What did a Tyros ever do to you !!

Ian , my friend , if your trying to tell me that the T-3 is going to have rubber buttons , please do it now !

That way I can buy a T-2 while I still can.
But you buy the HD , deal ?

Later
Gary 

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/29/08 09:48 PM

Well I will start replying in order!

@ abacus,

First thing I did is the OS upgrade to 1.60.
As far as the key feel, I would expect this keybed in a Pa500, PsrS900, or E50.
But, it can't be perfect.

@ trevorjohn,

comparing it to Roland, the pa800 is a little more dificult to navigate in live situations. I will make it suitable, but it will take a lot of work and sleeples nights.

@tony mads usa,

no I did not try it out. I live in Virginia, where most folks don't even know what an arranger is. So it is impossible to find one at GC or a similar store.

So, those are just my first impressions.

Did I mention the stinky key feel yet?

I wonder how the Ensoniq VFX keybed would fit in the PA800! ( best keyfeel ever)
Posted by: zuki

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/30/08 06:11 AM

Hi Hitman,

I've been at my 800 for a couple months now. Still not ready to take live (only because my songs are not done), but the OS is coming around fine. In doing a mach run, I find it as fluid as the 900 (something I cannot find on any other board or ever dreamed possible).

The harmonizer is truly fantastic. The few songs I have experimented with blow my mind The intrument detail is so incredible. The drums/bass Use the pads and you'll find a great compliment to your performance.

I brought my PA setup in the house to hear the differences and WOW - it will be incredible when I finally make the switch.

Of course, now I just got the Bose and have to do the same. If the acoustic pianos sound better in the Bose, then I'll be an extremely happy musician.

Hang in there. I know you came from the VA - are you saying that was an easier live OS?

I always liked the VA, but not the G70 - I thought Roland took a step backwards in that development (IMO).

zuki
Posted by: Dnj

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/30/08 06:33 AM

"Well I will start replying in order!"

Well hitman I guess you didnt see my post

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-30-2008).]

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/30/08 09:42 AM

@ DNJ,

I saw your post my friend! THank you for the advice. I will try to get my hands on one of those DVD-sets.

@ zuki,

You know how it is with a new board, mixed feelings etc. As far as sound goes, this board is excellent.
Once I cross the painfull OS learning curve,
I think I will enjoy it.
If the piano isn't working for you, you can always load samples in it.

If you don't mind, e-mail me your TEL#. I would really like to talk to you about the pa800.
Joop081@cox.net

I really do appreciate everybody's support here ! Thanks!
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/30/08 10:54 AM

Hitman
I have the 3 DVD set that's been played once. Half price $36.00 plus $4.00 shipping in USA.
Bernie
http://www.korgpa.com/pa_root/en/support/arranger_secrets.html
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/30/08 02:42 PM

Hi Hitman
congratulations on the new keyboard.
Bit of a learning curve, but for me it's been well worth it.
best wishes
Rikki
[QUOTE]Originally posted by hitman:
[B]
Posted by: zuki

Re: My PA800 arrived yesterday! - 03/30/08 06:53 PM

The DVD set is not comprehensive enough. It doesn't cover the stuff that's hard to figure out.