Received PA800 - perfect

Posted by: zuki

Received PA800 - perfect - 03/07/08 11:26 AM

Bernie,

Got it - great shape - thanks.

I'm really enjoying this thing again. I admit, gave up on it the first time too soon.

I will spend tons of time on it now because it could very well be the go-to board.

zuki
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/07/08 01:05 PM

Zuki.....please keep us posted on your progress second time around....should be interesting reading to see what you missed & how you approach the Korg OS......
good luck.
Posted by: JCkeeys

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/07/08 02:59 PM

I am really enjoying my PA2xpr!
Give it a chance and make sure you set it up properly!!! It can fool you! You must read the manual if you never have worked with Korg arrangers.

Enjoy!!!
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/07/08 03:12 PM

Zuki

Mine is in great shape and am really liking it. The SMF is the best I've heard, and the lyrics are much easier to read. It has far more comprehensive options. The sounds I've heard so far are great, and the laying is just what I need.

Enough for now will report later when I know something.

Bernie

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/07/08 03:43 PM

Bernie good to hear ......
once you learn how to use the makeup tools & so many other features you'll take it to another level entirely!

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/08/08 02:45 AM

I guess I didn't realize you had one in the past. Between you and Fran, I have a good source of information.

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/08/08 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernie9:
I guess I didn't realize you had one in the past. Between you and Fran, I have a good source of information.

Berniew how can you forget!!!

http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/013808.html

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-08-2008).]

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/08/08 06:11 AM

Yes, it's nice to have it in the hands with someone that can appreciate it

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/08/08 06:20 AM

Donny
That was two and half years ago. I was hanging out at the Technics forum then.

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/08/08 06:22 AM

Correction; one and a half

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/08/08 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Yes, it's nice to have it in the hands with someone that can appreciate it

So Zuki......hows the second round progress going on your Pa800....keeper? dumper 2nd time? next? learn it no matter what? use two KB's on gigs? or? I lost track
Posted by: Diki

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/08/08 12:41 PM

Got the up-to-date OS in it, Zuki?

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/08/08 03:17 PM

He has got 1.51

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/09/08 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
So Zuki......hows the second round progress going on your Pa800....keeper? dumper 2nd time? next? learn it no matter what? use two KB's on gigs? or? I lost track

I knew the first go-around with the 800 was close and the 2nd time will a charm

I can say the PA800, for me, is truly a fantastic board. I'm taking time to put detailed arrangements together and am enjoying the 'live' feel it offers.

I was going to double up, but decided to just switch all my songs over and go this route. It'll take lots of time though (3 months) because the creative juices are flowing and I want to 'save' quality work.

This is a player's board. The styles and sounds are great and I haven't even explored the harmonizer

What I like:

OS /OTS / PADS / ORGANS / PIANOS / CREATIVE STYLES / SYNTHS / SCAT / GREAT GUITAR STYLES / TOUCH SCREEN / VARIATION CONTROLS (very cool things you can do as discussed before) / SONGBOOK - wow / HARMONIZER / KEY FEEL / SPEAKERS / WEIGHT / mp3 (might not ever use)

Dislikes: NONE

zuki
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/09/08 10:04 PM

Hi Zuki,
glad to hear it's working out for you this time round.
I've finally gotten all the user styles I downloaded saved into style sets & deleted the ones I'm never likely to use.
They're all on USB stick & my Favourites & User Style section in the keyboard is blank.

Now all I have to do when I need a user style for a song is load one of the sets
( bigband or swing or ballad etc ) into the user style section, audition the various styles for the song, If I find one that suits, I'll load the individual style into a favourites slot & it can stay there permanently.
This way I won't mess up any songbook entries.

My Favourites section is for permanent user styles, my user style section is for auditioning & creation.

best wishes
Rikki.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zuki:
[B]
Posted by: adimatis

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/10/08 02:01 AM

so zuki,
this time around might be a little bit easier, but what about the reasons why you dropped the pa800 in the first place? if i remember correctly, one of them was that pa800 was not a keyboard that you'd feel confortable playing live with.
do you still believe taking two keyboards on gigs is a good idea?

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/10/08 07:32 AM

Ad,

The 1st time was close, I admit. I spent several weeks trying to make it replace the 900, but my stubborness ruled it out. I was disappointed in the style versatility. But now I'm making them work, in a different and interesting way. One thing I appreciated is the smoothness of the styles - no glitches - that's a deal breaker for me every time.

Why I revisisted is because I initially loved all offered. Now I'm finding great things. This should be able to do my solo act alone, but time will tell. It will be a much different act; more as a band.

I was up till 2:30 am plugging in more songs. It's an addicting board - very fun.

zuki
Posted by: Spalding 4

Re: Received PA800 - perfect - 03/10/08 09:35 AM

Glad your enjoying it Zuki. I have owned my PA1X nearly 3 years now. Was playing for the junior choir on Saturday, a song called "praise is what i do". I used the factory preset soft ballard style. It was nice but not exactly waht i wanted. So i customised the bassline with a touch sensitive slap bass so i could hammer out a slap at the appropriate time in the existing soft ballad 2 style. This is an RX bass so i could play mutes , slides and thumbed sounds in real time in the loop. I replaced the standard drums with a jazz kit and harder hitting snare and added some cymbal splashes and snare taps at appropriate times, changed the strings and guitar all in 10 minutes whilst the sopranos and tenors practised their lines separately. When we came to put the parts together no one could believe that i had added the changes to the song in such a short space of time. The instrument is simply amazing and so inspiring . Stick with whatever instrument you choose to settle with and truly get to grips with its capabilities and you wont look back.

You have only just started to understand the dynamite you have at your disposal