KETRON SD5 DEMOS...................

Posted by: Dnj

KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 08:19 AM

What say you?.....
http://www.bck.co.uk/htm/sd5demo.htm

http://www.bck.co.uk/htm/SD5.htm

I have to say I really enjoyed them.....
I'm not surprised being I've performed with many Ketron boards in the past.....& always held their sounds/styles in the highest regard.......
http://www.ketronus.com/Manuals/SD5.pdf

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-07-2008).]
Posted by: DonM

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 09:02 AM

About my only reservation is the location of the fill-variation buttons. I'll have to use the foot switches more for these functions.
But, I'll wait and see. Should be here Friday or Monday.
DonM
Posted by: JCkeeys

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 10:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dnj:
[B]What say you?.....

Funny you post this today!
I have a Tyros 2 and been looking at the PA800. My local dealer sells both Korg and Ketron. I made a visit yesterday and played both for the first time. (I am a former SD1 owner)
The SD1 is my all time fav, from a sound perspective. I got instantly nostalgic when I played the SD5, all those "WARM FAT" sounds!! Awesome tenor sax and the Golden Trumpet!! Live sounding drums!! etc.
Then I played the PA800. Different animal!!
Sounds Great! Nice clear and clean sounds! Loved the unplugged stuff!
Then I went home and played my Tyros2 and that still sounds great!
SOOOOOOO what does it all mean?????

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 11:01 AM

In addition:

SD5 has no ability to record to hard drive (performance with vocals)

No Harmony processor (must be purchased)When you add that to the price your at the PA800 price

No Balanced input for Microphone

No USB connectivity

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 11:15 AM

...but you CAN plug in two mics, each with it's own e.q. and effects.
I can't wait for the Audya!
DonM
Posted by: GlennT

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
About my only reservation is the location of the fill-variation buttons. I'll have to use the foot switches more for these functions

Don, one of the cool features on the SD5 is setting up touch sensitivity to fill, whereby increased pressure on a key produces a fill. Don't know if any other KB has this feature, but I use it all the time.

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 12:49 PM

Glenn, it IS a cool feature. I tried it on (I think) SD1, but never pursued it. Maybe I will on this one.
Thanks,
DonM
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 12:55 PM

Hi,
you need all 3. haahaa

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by JCkeeys:

Funny you post this today!
I have a Tyros 2 and been looking at the PA800. My local dealer sells both Korg and Ketron. I made a visit yesterday and played both for the first time. (I am a former SD1 owner)
The SD1 is my all time fav, from a sound perspective. I got instantly nostalgic when I played the SD5, all those "WARM FAT" sounds!! Awesome tenor sax and the Golden Trumpet!! Live sounding drums!! etc.
Then I played the PA800. Different animal!!
Sounds Great! Nice clear and clean sounds! Loved the unplugged stuff!
Then I went home and played my Tyros2 and that still sounds great!
SOOOOOOO what does it all mean?????[/B]
Posted by: GlennT

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 12:57 PM

SD1 doesn't have the feature. Hopefully Audya does.

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 01:13 PM

Well, I had it on SOMETHING. Does Yamaha gave it? Roland, Korg? Maybe it was the Midjay? I'm gettin' old and senile.
DonM
Posted by: Diki

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 01:28 PM

Maybe I play a little too hard, but I have a terrible problem with aftertouch triggered controls. Something like a fill triggering, just because you got carried away and dug in a little more than usual in, say, a very emotional passage, and you are screwed!

Plus, of course, if you use aftertouch for vibrato, you can't turn it off for the lower section of the keyboard (aftertouch is global for the entire keyboard). Just too much of a compromise, for me.

How often, those that DO use this system to trigger fills, do you find yourself accidentally triggering the effect when you DON'T want it? Are you fairly light-handed?

About the only playing thing I like controlled by my playing (other than the notes!) is sometimes a very light use of the velocity/style volume (Dynamic Arranger in Rolandspeak), but even that is troubling without extensive controls over the window of time for the change (you can change amount, per Part, but you can't regulate the point at which it happens, or the length of time it 'holds' for).
Posted by: adimatis

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 01:50 PM

korg has it too, but not as aftertouch, but velocity triggered! at least it used to be like that in pa80/50.

[This message has been edited by adimatis (edited 02-07-2008).]
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
About the only playing thing I like controlled by my playing (other than the notes!) is sometimes a very light use of the velocity/style volume (Dynamic Arranger in Rolandspeak), but even that is troubling without extensive controls over the window of time for the change (you can change amount, per Part, but you can't regulate the point at which it happens, or the length of time it 'holds' for).

I use the same thing on my S900...it's called "Style Touch"...I use it mostly with Jazz styles...it is difficult to get just right, but with practice it really adds some cool dynamics.

Ian
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 02:10 PM

Sounds really good ...
I really liked the player's technique on the accordion and guitar ...
t.
Posted by: lahawk

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 03:00 PM

The sounds are outstanding. Thanks for the links

On quick glance, the LCD display appears small. Probably too small, as the buttons on both sides of the display are not lined up exactly horizontal. Rather a line over and down is needed to correspond button and display. 240x128 makes it maybe the smallest of the upper-end arrangers.

But displays don't make a keyboard sound better, and it certainly wouldn't stop me
from going for it.

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 06:04 PM

{email}http://www.carillonstudios.me.uk/sd5_review.htm{email}

This may be of interest. Don't know ifi set up correctly??

[This message has been edited by JCkeeys (edited 02-07-2008).]
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 06:05 PM

Hi Don,
the PA800 has that function also.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DonM:
[B]Well, I had it on SOMETHING.

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/07/08 10:02 PM

Thanks Rikki,
I KNEW I had it on something!
DonM
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/08/08 04:45 AM

I remember having a Yamaha D80 Organ that had a small 3rd manual keyboard in the upper right of the unit. You could actually quiver/vibrato notes by shaking the keyboard back and forth. This was cool for Trumpet and flute sounds.
Posted by: mikey_maestro

Re: KETRON SD5 DEMOS................... - 02/08/08 10:29 AM

Those were some great samples!

How is the operating system on that thing?

does it at least accept a usb thumb drive?

Floppys????? What were they thinking about there

------------------
God Bless,
Mikey

www.mikeymaestro.com
www.balloonanimal.com
www.1000colorcards.com