What a choice.

Posted by: Caragabal

What a choice. - 01/16/08 01:45 PM

I have been able to try out the PSR900 and have been somewhat impressed.
However the music store has a Korg PA800 at a reduced price.

Are you able to record and play back vocals on the Korg as you are on the PSR900.

If so the question is which board to go for?

Please keep the discussion friendly.

Cousin Ken
Posted by: Dnj

Re: What a choice. - 01/16/08 01:49 PM

Yes with the optional MP3 card you can record directly to the Ram, HD, or dual USB Thumb Drive.....I would go for the PA800 it does so much more. Plus you can play back your recordings with vocals on TWO DUAL SEQUENCERS at separately or simultaneously!!!! try that on a S900

And without a doubt the Pa800 SONGBOOK blows away anything Yamaha has onthe market including the Tyros 2........because it retains and saves song styles set ups With TRANSPOSE, plus MP3's, & SMF songs all on your own custom lists!!!! Best navagational arranger keyboard on the market bar none IMO!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-16-2008).]
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: What a choice. - 01/16/08 02:04 PM

Ken,

Lots of great features with both keyboards. However, if you're looking for great, third-party style files, Yamaha may be the direction to go.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: What a choice. - 01/16/08 02:10 PM

Hi Ken,

Both have the capability of vocal record and playback.

The S900 records and plays back Wav only.

Have you actually played the PA-800?

The S900 has much more third party support and available styles, and of course it has Yamaha's famous SA and Mega voices.

Let your ears be your guide, and good luck with your choice.

Ian
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: What a choice. - 01/16/08 03:01 PM

There is something wrong with this picture. The PA800 goes for a thousand more, and in my opinion, is very much worth it. Why are they selling the PA800 so cheap ?
Bernie
Posted by: mikeathome1

Re: What a choice. - 01/16/08 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Plus you can play back your recordings with vocals on TWO DUAL SEQUENCERS at separately or simultaneously!!!! try that on a S900

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-16-2008).]

I'm really not trying to start trouble but I've been trying to think of a practical application for playing two recordings or sequences together.
What kind of creative uses are there for that feature? Is there a link between the two sequencers to sync them timing wise?

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 01-16-2008).]
Posted by: zuki

Re: What a choice. - 01/16/08 03:48 PM

Difficult choice, depending on how much the 800 is. I wish I had the chance to play an 800, but none around these parts. I'd love to try the functions Donny raves about and see if it would improve my sound. The harmonizer would be a HUGE plus.

The 900 is a teffific board and is extremely fluid in its functions. I personally find its OS very user friendly. I love the 3rd party styles too - they sound terrific. My audience is pleased with the 900, so it is great for my needs.

Good luck with your choice. Life sure is fun with these type decisions

Maybe it's better I not get my hands on an 800.

What about UD? I haven't heard much from him lately on his 800
Posted by: Diki

Re: What a choice. - 01/16/08 04:53 PM

Play both, extensively.. Decide for yourself. It is of course the owners of these respective boards that are recommending THEIR particular choice, without asking a bit more about your musical tastes and direction...

How much price difference between the two? How important is key feel? Are you EVER likely to want to use a sampler? Do you primarily play arranger style, or use SMFs or mp3's?

Questions like this should be asked and answered before an answer is anything more than partisanship, IMO... Ask a man with an apple in his hands whether he prefers apples or oranges. Guess which answer you'll get...?
Posted by: Dnj

Re: What a choice. - 01/16/08 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Difficult choice, depending on how much the 800 is. I wish I had the chance to play an 800, but none around these parts. I'd love to try the functions Donny raves about and see if it would improve my sound. The harmonizer would be a HUGE plus.

The 900 is a terrific board and is extremely fluid in its functions. I personally find its OS very user friendly. I love the 3rd party styles too - they sound terrific. My audience is pleased with the 900, so it is great for my needs.

Good luck with your choice. Life sure is fun with these type decisions

Maybe it's better I not get my hands on an 800.

Zuki......too bad what happened with your pa800 purchase.....you would then have experienced TRUE Bliss in performing in so many ways......keep it in mind .

PS. Dave is a teacher now not a full time performer. But uses & enjoys the pa800 when he plays out.

Re: What a choice. - 01/16/08 06:18 PM

Still working on getting the scammer prosecuted. Will know something soon.

zuki

Re: What a choice. - 01/16/08 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
It is of course the owners of these respective boards that are recommending THEIR particular choice, without asking a bit more about your musical tastes and direction...

Seems his question was answered and advice given, with opinions thrown in.

CK has been an arranger user long enough to analyze all the rest.

zuki
Posted by: George Kaye

Re: What a choice. - 01/16/08 06:41 PM

Yes you can sync the two song players together. You hold the shift key and press play on sequencer 1 and both will play at the same tempo. Some people use the fader between the two players to crossfade between songs so as to not loose the people dancing on the dance floor between songs.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com

Re: What a choice. - 01/16/08 06:47 PM

Just trying to help a bit more, zuki.

Maybe it's just me, but I like to know a little bit more about a player's direction before what I play is the obvious choice to recommend. But perhaps you and Caragabal know more about each other than I do. If so, I apologize...

If not... well, is there ANY type of arranger player you wouldn't recommend an S900 to, zuki? If not, my above remarks still stand. And if there IS... perhaps we should find out if Caragabel is one of them?

Each arranger, IMO, has it's own strengths and weaknesses (hard though it is to admit them!), and blanket recommendations, if you know nothing about the aims and direction of another player, are still little more than partisanship, hard though that might be to resist..!

BTW, I like BOTH of these arrangers for certain aspects of their sound and OS, so I have NO axe to grind here at all. I hope you realize I am trying just to inject a little reality here, and NOT diss anyone's personal favorite...

Re: What a choice. - 01/16/08 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
If not... well, is there ANY type of arranger player you wouldn't recommend an S900 to, zuki?

Probably not Diki....I like it that much But everyone knows my and others' remarks are respective opinions.

What I'd really like is a 900 type product, still lightweight, with speakers and 76 keys. Throw in some more realistic drums too (although many Yammy arragements are awesome).

I've still never seen a G70 around here. I'm sure I'd love that board too because I really enjoyed the VA and E50.

It's nice to have a night off..........................

Re: What a choice. - 01/16/08 07:14 PM

Oh no... another one in the camp that Yamaha apparently won't admit even exists!

Where DO they get their market research? Somewhere where nobody's arms are long enough to use a 76?
Posted by: bruno123

Re: What a choice. - 01/16/08 08:44 PM

Cousin Ken,
In comparing I feel you should compare two keyboards in a similar price range. There is a big dollar difference between the S900 and the Pa 800.
I purchased my Tyros 2 for a bit more than the Pa 800. Those two would be a fair comparison. The problem is that the Pa 800 falls into a different category, neither the S900 or the Tyros2 make a fair comparison.

Now this is about me:
I feel the main/important reasons to have a arranger keyboard is the styles, that’s what keyboards do play styles. I am not making little of the instrument sounds they are important. Having access to a great support system and the availability of thousands of styles that are available for the Yamaha keyboard makes Yamaha a winner.

Which keyboard has the best Piano or Guitar is important to the some players, but for me the styles have to come first. If I do not have a good selection of styles, which is the band that is backing me, I am nowhere.

Now having said all of that I feel we can make it with just about any keyboard out there, they are all great – but what fits your taste has to be the bottom line.

I sold my Tyros 2 and bought a S900, I wanted to stay with what Yamaha offers. When the Tyros 3 or whatever they call the Tyros 2 replacement comes that will be my next keyboard. From my understanding is that the S900 or Pa 800 are not the top of the line keyboards. So my S900 is my best choice for now.

John C.
Posted by: Caragabal

Re: What a choice. - 01/16/08 10:09 PM

Thank you all for your your opinions.
I must admit I am a bit of a classical music lover.
I do however love any romantic melodies.
Not to keen on Rock and Roll but like some jazz
I do like playing with the styles and pre. 50's popular songs.
I am just emerging as a player that is bearable to listen to as I am not now getting any complaints from family.
I am primarily a Bass Baritone singer who tries his hand at crooning.
A Bing Crosby admirer.
The PA800 has been in the shop for some time and they are dropping the price to sell it.
Their main market is the cheaper end of the market.
They are even having trouble selling a Tyros 2.
By the way I am keen on strings.

I apoligise in being long winded but this seems to be the information some have asked for.

Thanks for your interest.

Cousin Ken
Posted by: mikeathome1

Re: What a choice. - 01/17/08 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
Yes you can sync the two song players together. You hold the shift key and press play on sequencer 1 and both will play at the same tempo. Some people use the fader between the two players to crossfade between songs so as to not loose the people dancing on the dance floor between songs.

Thanks George!
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: What a choice. - 01/17/08 04:12 AM

Ken,

If you can get a Tyros2 at a reduced price, it would give you the benefits of lots of third party support for styles and registrations...plus...it has awesome SA String voices...the S900 doesn't have them.

If you like "strings", the Tyros2 excels at them.

Ian

[This message has been edited by ianmcnll (edited 01-17-2008).]
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: What a choice. - 01/17/08 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:

Hey guys ! I'm up to my eyeballs in drama everyday (MY choice!) The kids keep me jumpin for sure, and we just finished auditions for the spring musical, "Anything Goes" ... great Cole Porter tribute with TONS of comedy. I'm directing this production, so my free time is GONE !
Miss you guys .... I keep playing my PA800 on Friday nights at the country club and whatever private affair I have on Saturday or Sunday, so it's gettin' a workout .... just not getting QUITE the workout it would have a year or two ago !
Be well, all!