KORG PA2X

Posted by: glynn parkinson

KORG PA2X - 12/02/07 04:27 PM

CAN ANYONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE KORG PA1X AND PA2X? AND IS IT WORTH THE EXTRA MONEY?
Posted by: renig

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/02/07 05:34 PM

There's a discussion here on the subject. http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29899

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/02/07 05:35 PM

Sorry, that's on Pa1X vs. Pa800. Darn this no-edit deal on here these days.
Posted by: George Kaye

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/02/07 08:49 PM

the 2X will have a motorized screen to angle anywhere you wish. It will have 120note polyphony vs 60 on the 1X. It will have 128 MB of sampling memory expandable to 256MB. The 1X has 16MB of memory expandable to 32MB.
There will be a lot more super articulation type voices on the 2X. There will be 2 USB to device ports. The PA1X has none.
The difference in price will be $100.00. Yes, it is worth upgrading to the 2X

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
818-881-5566
www.kayesmusicscene.com

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/02/07 09:56 PM

No kidding, George. They're some significant changes. When do they arrive?
Posted by: Dnj

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/03/07 05:46 AM

http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/016591.html
Posted by: silva

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/03/07 08:21 AM

...and PA2X hasnīt EXB-Slots.
Posted by: glynn parkinson

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/03/07 09:18 AM

Thanks very much guys, most helpful. Looks like we are getting seriously ripped off in the UK though, the PA1X is Ģ1900 ($3800), and the PA2X is Ģ2200 ($4400)!!
Posted by: Tom NL

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/03/07 10:39 AM

The PA2X is in the stores here in Holland now. The average price is about 2.900 Euro. I played it for 45 min. last week and I liked it a lot. Half a year ago I had the PA800 at home for a few days, so the sounds and styles were not that much of a surprise. The overall mix of the styles seemed to be even beter, but I can't tell for sure since it has been such a long time ago that I demoed the PA800.

I was glad to see that the chord recognition in piano mode is much better than on my Roland G70. The problem with the G70 is that it continues to add notes to the chords when the sustain pedal is down and it also includes notes of melody to the chords. I know how to use the sustain pedal and release it when it has to be released, but it still behaves awkward at times. I didn't have any problems on my KN6500 and the Korg also picked up every chord just fine.

The organs, especially the BX3 sounds, are awesome! I also like the cornet and other brass sounds (the weaker sounds on the G70) and the flutes (great on the G70). The Grand piano sample is very good as well. The timbre differs a bit from the Roland, but I like this one also. The harmonica sounds have lots of effects as part of the sample and are great for country and blues. Although I could not detect any "super articulation" type guitars, the acoustic and jazz guitars sounded very warm and "lively".

The keybed is on par with that of the G70 (maybe I step on someone's toes here), so that is a relief because I am spoiled since having the Roland.

The motorized display seems a bit overdone, but what the heck! The total appearance of the instrument is very nice and professional. I was a bit sceptical of the metallic white surface (tacky...), but it looks just fine.

Anyway, when I have more time in a few weeks I plan to play it a bit more and will most likely end up buying this board and trade in my G70 if the price is right.

------------------
Tom NL
Posted by: keybplayer

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/04/07 09:28 PM

I thought the Organ sounds were superb also. I'm gonna have to play one in person and see how much of a negative the style variation fill-in anomaly really is but if Korg can fix it by way of an OS update or if there is some other type of a work around that isn't too complicated to pull off I may eventually end up getting a Pa2x. I will be losing 8 notes of polyphony in the process vs. my Tyros but it's much better than the Pa1x at only 62 notes.

It's interesting that you didn't notice an SA quality in the guitars Tom. When I listened to the guitar .mp3 demos on the korgpa.com site I sensed a realism on par or even superior to the SA guitars on the Tyros2. Hearing them in person may lead to a different conclusion but if the mp3's are any indication of their overall quality Yamaha should be trembling in their boots I would think. That is unless Yamaha has something even better up their sleeve prepared for the T3. And I wouldn't doubt it one bit if they did have. Although the T3 is another year, year and a half away. The Pa2x is right here right now. Decisions decisions... But if there is going to be no 76 key T3 they lost my money. Ian, have your sources been "re-confirmed" as to whether the T3 is only going to be 61 keys? There is no question at all?? Definitely 61? You know that for a fact, from someone who you know, who knows for certain, with no hint of a maybe detected in his voice when you conversed with him?

Best,
Mike
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/05/07 05:36 AM

The Tyros2's replacement has been under development for many months, and anything we could propose would be a bit too late.

Ian
Posted by: keybplayer

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/05/07 08:53 AM

Couldn't there be a possibility of surprising us with a 76 key version along with the 61 key version? Like they did with the PSR 9000 and then coming out with the 9000PRO shortly thereafter? But instead of waiting a year with the 9000PRO, have an immediate release along with the 61 like they do with the Motif line?

I'm telling you Ian, Yamaha would not be disappointed if they chose to release a 76 key version T3. Breaking into that market again would only go to further enhance and strengthen Yamaha's marketshare, not lessen it in any way in my opinion. For one thing they would be giving Korg and Roland a run for their money and be in the competitive thick of things in that segment of the market once again. By choosing not to go the 76 key route with their TOTL arrangers it is slowly, "and perhaps imperceptibly to them", {but not to us looking at it from the outside}, it is chipping away at their dominance in the keyboard marketplace. You cannot deny the fact that there are many, many, keyboard musicians who would rather have 76 keys vs. a 61 key version if the alternative was presented to them. Just listen to the members on SZ who have voiced in favor of 76 keys and multiply that the world over and you can see the potential market that exists. Roland and Korg are seizing upon the opportunity and it befuddles me why Yamaha has thus far choosen not to. The market exists, if it didn't do you think Roland and Korg would still be churning them out? Yamaha needs to get over its pity party with the 9000PRO flop and move on!

I'm only trying to stir their emotions and get them to rise up and boldly go where no man has gone before. Oops..! Seems Roland and Korg are continuing to do that very thing as we speak - but Yamaha has a chance (theoretically that is) to pull up alongside and eventually overtake them to infinity and beyond!

I'll tell you what... Have Yamaha make one 76 key T3, I'll buy it right off the bat, and when they realize people are actually buying the darn thing they can start producing more as they see fit and as the market dictates. >>> They would be busy beavers year round' trying to keep up with the demand in my opinion.

Best,
Mike
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/05/07 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
Couldn't there be a possibility of surprising us with a 76 key version along with the 61 key version? Like they did with the PSR 9000 and then coming out with the 9000PRO shortly thereafter? But instead of waiting a year with the 9000PRO, have an immediate release along with the 61 like they do with the Motif line?

I'm telling you Ian, Yamaha would not be disappointed if they chose to release a 76 key version T3. Breaking into that market again would only go to further enhance and strengthen Yamaha's marketshare, not lessen it in any way in my opinion. For one thing they would be giving Korg and Roland a run for their money and be in the competitive thick of things in that segment of the market once again. By choosing not to go the 76 key route with their TOTL arrangers it is slowly, "and perhaps imperceptibly to them", {but not to us looking at it from the outside}, it is chipping away at their dominance in the keyboard marketplace. You cannot deny the fact that there are many, many, keyboard musicians who would rather have 76 keys vs. a 61 key version if the alternative was presented to them. Just listen to the members on SZ who have voiced in favor of 76 keys and multiply that the world over and you can see the potential market that exists. Roland and Korg are seizing upon the opportunity and it befuddles me why Yamaha has thus far choosen not to. The market exists, if it didn't do you think Roland and Korg would still be churning them out? Yamaha needs to get over its pity party with the 9000PRO flop and move on!

I'm only trying to stir their emotions and get them to rise up and boldly go where no man has gone before. Oops..! Seems Roland and Korg are continuing to do that very thing as we speak - [b]but
Yamaha has a chance (theoretically that is) to pull up alongside and eventually overtake them to infinity and beyond!

I'll tell you what... Have Yamaha make one 76 key T3, I'll buy it right off the bat, and when they realize people are actually buying the darn thing they can start producing more as they see fit and as the market dictates. >>> They would be busy beavers year round' trying to keep up with the demand in my opinion.

Best,
Mike [/B]

DITTO

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/05/07 09:07 AM

Mike...SZ is not a good representation of a home arranger market....the Tyros and S-series are first and foremost, home arrangers, although some pros choose to use them.

A 76 note Tyros or S-series arranger is not in the cards, not now, or in the immediate future.

That's just the way it is.

Buy the Korg...it is a great instrument...or perhaps Roland's G70 replacement, whenever(or if ever) it comes out.

Ian
Posted by: Tom NL

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/05/07 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
It's interesting that you didn't notice an SA quality in the guitars Tom. When I listened to the guitar .mp3 demos on the korgpa.com site I sensed a realism on par or even superior to the SA guitars on the Tyros2. Hearing them in person may lead to a different conclusion but if the mp3's are any indication of their overall quality Yamaha should be trembling in their boots I would think. That is unless Yamaha has something even better up their sleeve prepared for the T3. And I wouldn't doubt it one bit if they did have. Although the T3 is another year, year and a half away. The Pa2x is right here right now. Decisions decisions... But if there is going to be no 76 key T3 they lost [b]my
money. .........
Best,
Mike [/B]

You're right Mike, there is always something new just around the corner. This board is right here and now. Although I am not (yet?) a big fan of the OS and the double functions of the sound group buttons on Korg arrangers, I think the main reason I like the PA800 and PA2X a lot because they don't seem to have any "weak" sounds. All the sounds I tried have the same high quality as opposed to the G70, that has some superb sounds as well as some mediocre and a few that are not very good. Although the Tyros2 has the edge when it comes to the realism of the SA voices, let's be honest, it also has a few weak sounds. I know this is subjective, so don't shoot me. It's just my personal experience...

------------------
Tom NL

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/06/07 12:11 AM

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=30070&sid=bad89e78a33b1e055c1170ffa55ce4f2
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/06/07 05:33 AM

I was told the Korg Pa2xpro's sound engine is the same sound engine that is stamped in the M3 and Oasys workstations.

I've played both of those keyboards and even just ordered the M3. If that is indeed true, the Pa2xpro will be a powerhouse. The sonic definition and detail in the voices actually makes you take notice. It's crystal clear but it also doesn't sound processed or compressed like the Tyros2. The orchestral voices simply took my breath away.

I predict the Pa2xpro will be a winner in 2008 for professional players.

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/06/07 05:46 AM

keep us posted after you get your Pax2 the more info the better.....

Re: KORG PA2X - 12/06/07 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:

I predict the Pa2xpro will be a winner in 2008 for professional players.

No doubt it will...can't wait to try one myself...perhaps my local store, which, though huge, rarely, if ever, stocks Korg keyboards/arrangers, will make an exception in this case.

Of course, we must remember...Roland may have a new G70 replacement up it's sleeve...that would make things very interesting.
Ian