Traffic Lights

Posted by: drdalet

Traffic Lights - 11/29/04 03:03 PM

No, not Off-topic, but my latest tune on the PSR3K, called Traffic Lights. The title just came to me while I was making the arrangement.
You can download it HERE
It's called trafficlights_MP3Pro.mp3.
Needless to say it's an MP3Pro file.

I used the style R&Bballed with voices GrandPiano (only in the intro), flugelhorn, SuitcaseEP, Muted Trumpet and SaxSextion+TenorSax.
I used several Multipads I made myself too (flugelhorn and muted trumpet). Other than in "Funkypads" in this new tune, these are sequences in the key I am playing in, so they are not good for anything else (sorry!). I find Multipads very usefull for small sequences (fill-in melodies and such) and even longer sequences, like I use in the Love Boats theme song (counter melodie).

I played it many many times, and everytime I made a mistake, like: a wrong chord, a multipad at the wrong moment, didn't press a variation for a fill in, didn't change a variation in time, aso.
So I recorded it three times on the onboard sequencer and played them back into the computer, and edited it with wavelab. It's still not good, but it has to do.
Comments are welcome.
Somehow I don't like the ending.

------------------
drdalet
Posted by: ChicoBrasil

Re: Traffic Lights - 11/29/04 05:11 PM

Hi Drdalet.

Bravo!
A very impressive and sophisticated chord progression +
A nice choice of style and voices +
A clean and modern performance =
A very very nice song

My congratulations from Brasil
Chico
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Traffic Lights - 11/29/04 06:31 PM

I've been getting a lot of use from that R&B Ballad pattern too. Gives a fresh, new feel to some tried and true songs that I do.
Posted by: DonM

Re: Traffic Lights - 11/29/04 09:52 PM

It says the page is unavailable-try again later.
DonM
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: Traffic Lights - 11/29/04 10:04 PM

Same here...

Re: Traffic Lights - 11/29/04 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
It says the page is unavailable-try again later.
DonM

Yeah, sometimes the trafficlights are red
The site is geocities, so I think it's a bit busy. Please try again later.

------------------
drdalet
Posted by: acctjm

Re: Traffic Lights - 11/30/04 04:59 AM

Nice! I like that style of song, and you did a good job.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Traffic Lights - 11/30/04 05:17 AM

Time to bag that GeoCites site .... can't get in either, sorry !
Posted by: KFingers

Re: Traffic Lights - 11/30/04 05:20 AM

Nor me......

KF
Posted by: SD_FAN

Re: Traffic Lights - 11/30/04 06:04 AM

Hi drdalet.

A nice and cool song very well performed.

Congratulations.

Armando
Posted by: DonM

Re: Traffic Lights - 11/30/04 10:16 AM

I got it this time. Good work, very enjoyable to listen.
DonM

Re: Traffic Lights - 11/30/04 12:39 PM

Thanks everybody.
In the meantime I am trying to get the songs to another place. I suppose Geocities is not really suitable.

------------------
drdalet
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: Traffic Lights - 11/30/04 01:42 PM

DrDalet,
I was finally able to download your song; I think it's very fresh and modern and reminds me of a lot of modern groups.
I think that I could loop this song and listen to it for hours without getting bored.
I loved also your choice of sounds: my favorite is the Flugelhorn (but the Muted Trumpet isn't bad either... )
Posted by: Starkeeper

Re: Traffic Lights - 11/30/04 01:44 PM

Sounds good to me too. I don't hear a problem. It sounds like a very tight jazz band, with different musicians playing the lead. I like this type of jazz, very tastefull and melodic. The guitarist, Wes Montgomery, could fit right in this type of music. Good job Drdalet. The ending seems appropriate to me as well.
Starkeeper
Posted by: Eric, B

Re: Traffic Lights - 11/30/04 10:14 PM

Very nice Song. Sounds really tight.
Refreshing indeed.
I enjoyed listen to it.

Thanks for sharing.

Eric
Posted by: RichUK

Re: Traffic Lights - 12/01/04 06:41 PM

Hi drdalet,

Really enjoyed Traffic Lights! Smooth playing on those lead instruments, effective chord changes. Very nice work indeed...

Cheers,
Rich
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Traffic Lights - 12/01/04 06:54 PM

Drdalet,

I enjoyed "Traffic Lights". Fitting title as well. Nice smooth feel good jazz groove. I assume you performed & recorded this on your Yamaha PSR3000 right?

Scott
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Traffic Lights - 12/01/04 07:05 PM

dr.... REALLY nice job ... great tune ... loved the style ... As Scotty said, nice 'smooth' jazz feel to it ... a real "Fourplay" sound to it ... also took me right into New York City ....
t.

Re: Traffic Lights - 12/02/04 03:59 AM

Hi all (and welcome back Scott, I missed you on the forum!) Thanks for reacting. I performed it on the Yamaha PSR3000, used R&BBallad and composed several multipads as well so I could play with different voices. I planned a lot more, so I assigned a different multipadset for every OTS, but I didn't feel it was necessary. However it made me realize how handy those multipads are.
Richard, glad you liked the chords. Most of my songs start with a chord with melody-notes that are not in that chord, in this case a Dm7 with the first notes g (11) and e (9). From there I made a mistake that turned out to be the start of the song: I played a Bflat6/9, this asked for a C6/9, so there were the first 3 chords and from there it almost went all by itself.
The R&BBallad style inspired me as well. The guitarpart is very nice in that style.
I called it "Midnight" at first, because of the harmony and the choice of instruments (Flugelhorn and muted trumpet), but the style didn't have that midnight feel, so it became trafficlights and I also think that title fits well.

I put my music on Soundclick now, because of the download problems. But still trying to find a suitable place for my other site as well. Anyway, Funkypads and Traffic Lights are now HERE .

------------------
drdalet