Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!!

Posted by: squeak_D

Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/02/07 06:52 AM

Well the Yamaha NP-30 will be here in my home on Monday The wife ordered it while I was at work last night.., she's a good woman. Can't wait to get it!!! Oh how nice it will be to have 76 keys again, but this time it will be even better as they'll be graded and semi-weighted. Sweeeeeet! Can't wait to midi it up to my synth.

If anyone's interested in a review on it, let me know-this isn't an arranger so I'm not sure if it will spark much intereset here.

Squeak
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/02/07 06:59 AM

Awaiting your review & demos soon Squeak...
http://tinyurl.com/36o7r3

Good Luck with it

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-02-2007).]

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/02/07 07:08 AM

I'll do some recordings of the piano sounds and post those. Man this little 12 pound digital is going to be killer for recording my classical work. Those keys are gonna be like butter baby!
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/02/07 09:01 AM

Squeak good luck the the NP-30. I'll be looking forward to your review on it.
Posted by: jwyvern

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/02/07 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Squeak good luck the the NP-30. I'll be looking forward to your review on it.

Me too squeak, thanks.
It might save me turning in my Ty2 & buying a Motif XS

John

[This message has been edited by jwyvern (edited 08-02-2007).]

Posted by: jwyvern

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/02/07 09:36 AM

Error
I never get the hang of which icon is for post/which for edit etc.!!!

J

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/02/07 09:59 AM

It's a VERY affordable solution for me. I can't say how often I'll use the preset sounds considering it will be driving my Roland synth, and eventually the Roland SonicCell.

The NP-30 lacks pitch and mod control, but that's no issue either, considering when I use pitch and mod control I prefer synth action keys for the speed.

Anywho, I'll do some solo voice recordings of the unit and post those. Maybe I'll do some other audio demos to see how the NP-30's pianos blend with my Roland.

Squeak
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/02/07 12:07 PM

Squeak , did you play this before you bought ?

It is a light touch...nothing like a piano...very similar to the 76 key arranger boards from Yamaha...smaller width keys..
You can play your synth parts on this board..the action is light enough..

Also 32 voice polyphony...I hope you won't be disappointed..

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/02/07 02:02 PM

I know the action isn't "piano action". I'd say this model is more a really great "graded" action between synth action and semi-weighted. That's just what I need. The 32 note poly isn't going to bother me at all. That's more than enough for using the internal piano voices, but it will be midi'd up to my Roland. I wont be driving the internal tone generator of the NP-30 from anything else. It will be midi'd out to the midi in of my RS-70.

Also the NP-30 isn't an arranger, so 32 notes of poly should be more than enough for the internal sounds. So no worries there with internal poly limits.

Plus Fran this models action will be above the typical models from Yamaha as the keys are graded. I think this action is a new one particular to this model. I spoke with someone who owns a DGX and this model. The guy said you can tell the difference

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-02-2007).]
Posted by: zuki

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/02/07 07:03 PM

Congratulations Squeak! Glad you decided on the Yamaha. Tell the wife thanks too
Posted by: Taike

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/02/07 10:50 PM

Congratulations with your newest toy, buddy!

I believe this is only a small part of all the other gear you wish to acquire. So what's next? Yamaha S700...Roland???...etc.

Taike

ps. Squeak, what's the link to your site? You know, the one where you post songs? Anything new on that one?

[This message has been edited by Taike (edited 08-02-2007).]
Posted by: trident

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/06/07 03:09 AM

It's Monday!!!!
Let us know about it Squeak!
Posted by: keysvocalssax

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/06/07 07:50 AM

squeak, could you list the 10 sounds it comes with? these kinds of kb's always seem to have harpsichords and church organs that don't interest me..does it have good elec piano/rhodes sound and/or funky/jimmy smith organ and/or bass? can you set up split with lh bass? can you layer strings on piano? is the transpose dedicated, one-move type? thanks,

------------------
Miami Mo
Posted by: abacus

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/06/07 09:26 AM

The manual can be downloaded here, http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/index.php just type NP 30 into the model search box. The voices available are on page 18 and are:

G Piano 1
G Piano 2
E Piano 1
E Piano 2
Church Organ 1
Church Organ 2
Strings
Harpsichord 1
Harpsichord 2
Vibraphone

Hope this helps

Bill

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/06/07 09:56 AM

Sadly it won't be here for another day or so. My wife ordered it from MusiciansFriend. Those bast#%#d's totally screwed her on the delivery date. When she ordered it the website told her 3-5 days via UPS ground. Well she called later to find out why it didnt ship on the day it was supposed to. MusiciansFriend's response was just plain wrong.

They're moving their wharehouse--which is understandable, and can cause delays, BUT when my wife ordered.., the BIG YELLOW disclaimer on the order page WASN'T THERE. They didn't post this disclaimer until after my wife purchased the unit, then those a$$holes slid her order under that disclaimer without notice, and delayed the shipment. Of course as with many online retailers, customer service is plain crap. They said "sorry nothing we can do". The wife ended up shredding our MusiciansFriend Credit card after that, and is going to cancel the account. So this will be the last order from MusiciansFriend.

I know others will say why didn't you order from George Kaye for example. I have no problem ordering from a store like his, but the issue is he's on the WEST coast and I'm' on the EAST coast. (Plus my wife ordered the unit while I was at work as a surprise for me...)

Any UPS or FedEx shippment going ground from coast to coast goes through A LOT of hands and packages over those distances are my likely to get damaged. We all know the horror stories on this subject!

On another note, the info I got for the NP-30 was pretty interesting. I was told the sounds are the same as you'd find on the P series (P-60/65/70). The 30 is just a 76 key graded (semi-weighted version of that series)--so I was told

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-06-2007).]

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/06/07 12:30 PM

thanks for the manual link and sounds list! this Np-30 I would buy for $500, not $300, (and so would a ton of jazz players) if it only would do a split manual bass, (w/ a choice of acoustic and electric), and a list of 10 good quality sounds something like this: G Piano, Elec piano, Rhodes, Wurli, Gospel Organ, J.Smith B3, strings, choir, scat vocals, vibes. NOW.....for $700, if they called it the Jazz model and just added the split bass (how much would that cost them?) and changed the sound lineup..PLUS added a few more sounds and a drum box w/ great swing, latin, brazilian, funk etc they could get $700 easy...without any other frills except balance control..

------------------
Miami Mo

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/06/07 01:16 PM

It's just a basic 76 digital MO. For $299 it's still a hell of a bargain--especially considering the action on this model is new and exclusive to the NP-30.

It's going to serve my needs perfectly. I'll have a nice 76 graded set of keys to midi to my Roland synth (and soon to the Roland SonicCell), and it's going to be a nice inexpensive unit to fire up just to play some piano. I'm honestly surprised it doesn't cost a bit more.

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/06/07 01:29 PM

i'm not knockin' it..for $300 sounds great.. but i'm just doin' my wishin' thing and hopin' somebody might hear me..and maybe come up with the same kb w/more features so you don't have to midi to another module. enjoy!!! Mo

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/06/07 01:41 PM

Yamaha's solution to what you want is the YPG series. It's either that or their more expensive CP-33, but the CP doesn't have drum patterns.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 08-06-2007).]

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/06/07 05:03 PM

thanks, squeak, ypg's are great for the $ but the 76-key ypg doesn't have the good "live!" grand that the 88's have, plus transpose is a pain w/menus in utility, plus not having the graded-hammer action you love the np-30 for. the cp-33 is an 88 fully-weighted hammer, not a 76 semi...MO
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Bought the Yamaha NP-30!!!! - 08/14/07 01:56 PM

Did you get the NP-30 yet?