Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night

Posted by: Starkeeper

Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/18/06 04:48 AM

There was a good deal on a Yamaha PSR1500 at Long & McQuade in Toronto so I put a hold on it. I went to pick it up last night and saw a PSR3000 for $500 CND off the list price. Brought her home. Woo Ho.
If Donny would change a Tyros 2 and a Roland G70 for a PSR3000 then this home player can't go wrong.
I'll have lots of questions.
Going through the voices last night, the sweet voices of course were great, but the orchestral strings and horns are very impressive. I wasn't expecting that.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 08-18-2006).]
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/18/06 04:57 AM

Starkeeper......
Good move, Congrats! The 3k is an excellent KB once set up properly....in fact I enjoy playing it more then my T2 on stage for many reasons.....I know your gonna make great music with yours....if you need help just give me a shout.

Enjoy

Donny

PS you got mail

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 08-18-2006).]
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/18/06 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
in fact I enjoy playing it more then my T2 on stage for many reasons.

Care to elaborate on that, Donny? One of these days, I'll upgrade.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/18/06 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Care to elaborate on that, Donny? One of these days, I'll upgrade.

Sorry Bill...Im not gonna start a pissin' contest today on here.....
email me your concerns I will gladly answer you 3k questions.

BTW I enjoyed your "My Space"
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/18/06 05:44 AM

Starkeeper,

Congratulations! One of the best locations for information on the PSR series of keyboards is at www.psrtutorial.com . There are lots of PSR-3000 owners on this forum as well that are very knowledgeable and more than willing to help when you have questions.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: rolandfan

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/18/06 05:56 AM

Congrats and welcome to the world of Yamaha.. The first thing i think u should do is adjust the 5 eq's. There are lots of suggested ones online if u look for it. Once adjusted your keyboard will sound even more nicer. Then u can also find suggested settings for the vocal harmony online. U must be enjoying the multipads and that best in the world sweet soprano sax ...oh and get a dust cover for it.
Posted by: T42

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/18/06 05:59 AM

Congratulations on your new purchase Starkeeper
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/18/06 06:09 AM

Congratulations on your new purchase.

The PSR-3000 is an awesome keyboard.

I had one for quite a while before moving up to the Tyros2.

You'll have lots of fun.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/18/06 06:35 AM

Thanks Donny, Bill, Gary, Rolandfan, T42, for that information and encouragement.
I had too much GAS to wait for the 3K's replacement.
Starkeeper
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/18/06 03:48 PM

Hi Starkeeper,
congratulations.
Great to hear you finally got a keyboard that you really wanted.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Starkeeper:
[B]
Posted by: CoasterTim

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/18/06 04:13 PM

Starkeeper,
Congrats on the 3000. You've got one of the best boards out there. I sure miss mine.

Tim

[This message has been edited by CoasterTim (edited 08-18-2006).]

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/19/06 05:25 AM

Starkeeper.......How is it going so far with the 3k?....hope to hear some of your work on the 3k soon.

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/21/06 04:50 AM

I don't have access to the 3K on weekends, so I missed it. I scanned the manual quickly, and can see there are quite a bit of missing information. I was looking for instructions on how to load styles from the USB drive and didn't see any. Fortunately, that part anyways, is relatively intuitive, so just pressed user styles and selected USB, copy all, and I had styles loaded into the user area. The other good thing is the 3K recognizes my Kingstons DataTraveler USB drive.
Thanks for your well wishes.
Quick questions. Do all the styles have mega voices or is there a quick way of knowing which ones have them? I was surprised the manual doesn't have a list of voices or styles.
Starkeeper
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/21/06 05:02 AM

Not all styles use megavoicing, however, the number of new styles using them seems to be growing by leaps and bounds.

As for loading styles into the keyboard's onboard memory, keep in mind that the memory is very limited. It's best to load third party user styles to the SMart Media Card, where they can be instantly accessed via the User Style button.

The Smart Media Card is limited to 128 megs of storage, and the root directory is the device is limited to 70 files or folders. Therefore, the card is best utilized with individual folders are made that can store hundreds of files each.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: trident

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/21/06 06:32 AM

Congratulations for your purchase Starkeeper.
I hope you have a good time with your new keyboard, meanwhile, your "home player/user" opinion will help.
Posted by: fordtaurus

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/21/06 10:08 AM

Hi,

I am in Toronto as well. I am looking for a 1500 or 3000. If you do not mind, could you email me the deal you got? Which L&M did you go?

my email: pchene757 AT hotmail

Thanks
Posted by: Bluezplayer

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/21/06 10:18 AM

I was quite surprised at how good the 1500 sounded when I played it in the store next to some "big guns". I imagine the 3k is even more powerful. Congrats on your 3k.

AJ

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/21/06 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fordtaurus:
Hi,

I am in Toronto as well. I am looking for a 1500 or 3000. If you do not mind, could you email me the deal you got? Which L&M did you go?

my email: pchene757 AT hotmail

Thanks

You have new mail.
Starkeeper

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/21/06 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
I was quite surprised at how good the 1500 sounded when I played it in the store next to some "big guns". I imagine the 3k is even more powerful. Congrats on your 3k.

AJ

Thanks Bluesplayer.
Posted by: fordtaurus

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/21/06 12:01 PM

Thanks, Starkeeper for your emails.
Posted by: Bluezplayer

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/21/06 12:17 PM

You're quite welcome Starkeeper. All of the mid to hi end Yamaha's are just loaded with features and functions. I'd love to see more discussions about some of these things here.

One of the primary reasons I opted for Yamaha again was because of all of the add on stuff for Yamaha's. The sounds on all of the arrangers I played were excellent, and I could have been happy with any of them. The ability to customize with some of the software and extras provided ( freely ) by folks like Michael P Bedesem, Jos Maas, Joe Waters, and Jorgen Sorenson, along with others who contributed styles, pads, etc, are a large part of the reason I chose a Yamaha again, after not having one for a few years.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 08-21-2006).]

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/22/06 05:27 AM

When I was mulling over whether to buy a Yamaha PSR1500 or a Roland E60, I defintely considered all the 3rd party support I would be losing if I purchased a Roland. I would lose the sweet flute and sweet soprano sax, my favorite styles. I emailed Roland asking who would sell the E50/60 and they never replied, but they replied to someone on the Synthzone. When I found out it would only be carried by a dealer 160 miles from Toronto, Yamaha got the sale.
Starkeeper
Posted by: Diki

Re: Purchased a Yamaha PSR3000 last night - 08/22/06 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Starkeeper......
Good move, Congrats! The 3k is an excellent KB once set up properly....in fact I enjoy playing it more then my T2 on stage for many reasons.....I know your gonna make great music with yours....if you need help just give me a shout.

Kind of interested in what makes you enjoy the 3000 more than the T2 onstage, Donny. Not trying to stir anything up, just curious...... Did they drop anything you liked on the T2?

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 08-22-2006).]