Who's doing 200-400 people OMB gigs with JUST AN ARRANGER KB?

Posted by: Dnj

Who's doing 200-400 people OMB gigs with JUST AN ARRANGER KB? - 03/15/07 08:02 AM

With the reluctant attitudes toward Midi Files, Mp3, or any other medium aside from purist playing and arranger alone for some reason which I keep reading on the SZ I would just like to know as my subject Title question states if anyone is accomplishing this.....on a regular basis for OMB Weddings, Big dance venues, or whatever....without the use of other options. I could see it on the small gigs of which that's the way I do it also...but not the Hugh ones...

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-15-2007).]
Posted by: MarcK

Re: Who's doing 200-400 people OMB gigs with JUST AN ARRANGER KB? - 03/15/07 08:32 AM

I have done two smaller weddings (100-150 people) with my PSR-3000 alone using only styles, and a couple of MIDI files for restroom breaks etc.

I will be doing a larger wedding (hundreds of attendees) shortly, using the same setup. There will be a guitarist and a percussionist accompanying me but I'd do it just the same without them. If you have your styles organized well and your song lists down, I don't see the problem.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Who's doing 200-400 people OMB gigs with JUST AN ARRANGER KB? - 03/15/07 09:09 AM

I have done a lot of restaurant gigs and corporate dinners using the PSR-3000 and I used styles exclusively.

Only time I use a MIDI file(one of my own) is when I do a sound check.

Ian

------------------
Cha d’dhùin doras nach d’fhosgail doras.
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Who's doing 200-400 people OMB gigs with JUST AN ARRANGER KB? - 03/15/07 11:29 AM

Donny, I do 4 nights a week in the summer on a restaurant patio with over 600 covers in three hours. My Derby jobs are 1200 covers at one Country Club and over 1000 at another. Last night, it was the annual meeting of a credit union with about 350-400 people.

But, as I said, I'm background music. I don't do wedding receptions, where people expect a show. My niche is places where jazz is requested as part of the "image" of the place. Read that as quieter, more expensive
venues (horse farm events, government functions, etc.).

If I were doing other types of events, a single using only on-board styles would be hard, if not impossible to pull off. I STILL wouldn't use MP-3's.....sequences...just dosn't fit my approach to the work. These places can well afford more players, so I often add horns, guitar, percussion for about 1/3 of my jobs, and full rythem section on jobs where the number of "bodies" on the bandstand seems toi be as important as the music on about 20 a year.. I'm happiest backing other players/singers. The single work is, for me, is a simple economic necessity, given budgets, or the requirements of the customer.

This works for me.

russ

Re: Who's doing 200-400 people OMB gigs with JUST AN ARRANGER KB? - 03/15/07 11:38 AM

I can understand background music & appreciate your post & views ...but I was specificaly requesting OMB 200-400+ Weddings, & Dance venues where
DANCING & Singing is PREVELANT All Night Long..

Thanx
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Who's doing 200-400 people OMB gigs with JUST AN ARRANGER KB? - 03/15/07 11:49 AM

Donny, a lot of these are dance venues with a lot of vocals (50% plus). I just don't want to do weddings or receptions...reminds me of ancient blood-letting rituals!

Russ
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Who's doing 200-400 people OMB gigs with JUST AN ARRANGER KB? - 03/15/07 11:51 AM

Sorry Donny...you hadn't mentioned vocals as a part of these gigs.

I'm primarily a provider of instrumental music.

Ian

------------------
Cha d’dhùin doras nach d’fhosgail doras.
Posted by: zuki

Re: Who's doing 200-400 people OMB gigs with JUST AN ARRANGER KB? - 03/15/07 05:09 PM

What? The KING is asking about using midi files? 'Cmon Donny, you can be successful any way you choose

zuki
Posted by: MarcK

Re: Who's doing 200-400 people OMB gigs with JUST AN ARRANGER KB? - 03/15/07 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I can understand background music & appreciate your post & views ...but I was specificaly requesting OMB 200-400+ Weddings, & Dance venues where
DANCING & Singing is PREVELANT All Night Long..

Thanx

I would say that when there is dancing and singing involved, you have to play with the crowd/singer and behave dynamically, constantly feeling the energy you are getting and making the music fit the flow. I don't know if there is any better way to do this than using styles and live performance - you can't get the instant changes and reactions with MIDI files or recordings.
Posted by: korg4god

Re: Who's doing 200-400 people OMB gigs with JUST AN ARRANGER KB? - 03/16/07 05:41 AM

I am a full-time worship leader for Destiny Ministries in Arkansas City, Kansas. I use the (Korg) PA1x Pro and drive it with a Yammie DGX500 for the 88-keys and piano sound. Although our church only has an attendance weekly of around 30 people or so, we are also a road ministry providing music and ministry for conference settings around the US, mostly south central (Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas). These conferences can anywhere from 100 to 700 people. I am typing this from the Hilton Inn in Temple, Texas where we will be playing for a women's conference of an unknown number, could be hundreds. I do so on a regular basis with just me and a guitar player.

Jeff
Posted by: DonM

Re: Who's doing 200-400 people OMB gigs with JUST AN ARRANGER KB? - 03/16/07 05:58 AM

I do a lot of them. Seldom use a midi file or MP3, except during breaks.
DonM
Posted by: RMepstead

Re: Who's doing 200-400 people OMB gigs with JUST AN ARRANGER KB? - 03/16/07 08:41 AM

Here in the UK demand is changing in my view, from live play covers with a singer to absolute original sound covers with singer.
As a result increasingly I'm sadly having to use midis with a female singer and then provide DJ disco activity to follow that.
Even at that, which is therefore all provided by us as a duo, the business doesn't come charging through the door and I think that has a lot to do with a recent change in the premises music licensing laws in the UK which no longer allow '2 in a bar' no license required.
Roger M
Posted by: Shade of pale

Re: Who's doing 200-400 people OMB gigs with JUST AN ARRANGER KB? - 03/16/07 02:02 PM

[This message has been edited by Shade of pale (edited 03-16-2007).]

Re: Who's doing 200-400 people OMB gigs with JUST AN ARRANGER KB? - 03/16/07 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Shade of pale:
I use styles for every functions that we do, small restaurant gig and big function events 4-500 people, and we cover mostly oldies, ballroom, dance and disco, since I'm from Thailand, we occasionally cover some 30% Thai songs .....for big party, we want to have 2 female singers, a guitarist, and me on keyboard...all of us sing(I hope we do),so we fill up the stage a little more.
I'm still using my old SD1.

Thanx for the reply but I am asking if you do it all alone?