A Place In The Sun...

Posted by: travlin'easy

A Place In The Sun... - 01/21/07 03:14 PM

I hate winter--no doubt about it! I hate snow. I hate cold, and my latest philophsy is to never subject your body to a temperature colder than your age. As Jimmy Buffett said "I gotta' go where it's warm."

Failing this, and while watching the snow beginning to cover my patio, I decided to call my old friend Hank (the lurker) Bowman in the sunny south to see how he was faring during their recent cold snap in Louisiana. Hank's doing fine, but I'm freezing my butt off. He said he was thinking about me up here in the frozen north and said a song came to mind that he thought I might be able perform-- A Place In The Sun . I've never done this one, but decided to give it a try. Hank said it sounded good, and a young lady that listened to it agreed. I'm sure looking forward to spring, putting the sailboat back in the water and sailing away to anyplace in the warm sun. As always, I'm looking forward to any and all constructive criticism from the good folks on this forum.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: mikeathome1

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/21/07 04:22 PM

Nice rhythm. You made it your own.
Posted by: DonM

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/21/07 04:36 PM

Gary, come on down. You can hear Hank do it too.
A mutual friend of ours, Billy Ledbetter, has used it for years as his theme song. He played Las Vegas for many years and is a really talented entertainer.
DonM
Posted by: wrinkles303

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/21/07 04:37 PM

just moved back to columbus ohio after
13 years in clearwater fl, saw my first snow in 13 yrs. god, i hate it here.
how depressing... oh well. i miss the
music and my friends.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/21/07 04:44 PM

Gary real nice job...nice easy flow....great tune....try a half step modulation out of the middle lead with a Dance Organ rt hand .....way to go buddy!!

keep em coming & stay warm!!
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/21/07 04:49 PM

Laid back and smooth as glass.

Nice job, Gary.

Makes me think of warmer places...

It was -10 Celsius here on Cape Breton Island today.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.
Posted by: GlennT

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/21/07 05:46 PM

Gary, sounds great, gives me a vision of laying back in a hammock sipping a pina colada and checking out the BOTB. Move south, young man, life's too short.

Glenn
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/21/07 06:31 PM

Gary ... GREAT as usual !!! ... I love your work ...
t.

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/21/07 06:37 PM

Thanks for the complements guys. Tonight's forecast is for more snow, changing to freezing rain. Hopefully, no freezing rain, but in this part of the world it happens alot. At the very least I'll have to fire the snow blower up first thing in the morning so I can get the van out of the driveway.

Just another fun day in Paradise,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: DonM

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/21/07 08:06 PM

Your rendition of this song inspiried me to go out on the golf course for a couple of hours. Thanks!
Oh, and by the way, eat your heart out!
DonM
Posted by: Songman55

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 06:25 AM

Hi Gary,

Nice, laid back song. I'm with you on hating this cold weather. I'm a native Key Wester and when I first moved up here I enjoyed the seasons. I guess it's old age creeping up on me but I've been very cold the past few days. I'm going to have to find an open spot in my calender to go back to Margaritaville to get warm. I guess I'll go outside and see what I have to do to get to the gig this afternoon.

Later,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 06:45 AM

I think this is my fave song of yours so far. This vocal is very good. The arrangement fits pretty well. In a laid-back spot, it would be well-received.

I've about had enough winter, as well. 40's are too cold after awhile. Of course, 105 is too damn hot, so, I guess I need to move to Hawaii or Colorado or San Diego.

Good one!

------------------
Bill
SmallGig.com
:::
As a songwriter, I need feedback on songs posted! Thanks!
Posted by: Tony Rome

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 07:44 AM

Gary, once again you outdid your self.....
great job ....if you are really looking for the sunshine and GREEN BANANA MARGARITAS, just come on down....I got an extra paint brush with your name on it....Love to Carole
TR
Posted by: PraiseTheLord

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 08:03 AM

Wonderful job, Gary. thanks for sharing.

Graham
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 08:16 AM

Gary Diamond, maybe we should start calling you Stevie Diamond Nice song I enjoyed it, now if only listening could rub off on me!!

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 08:25 AM

Cold? wait till thursday & fri...Brrrr!!
Posted by: gilbert

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 08:28 AM

Hi Gary,
Brings back many happy memories,really enjoyed your rendition of this song,is there more?
Best Regards Gilbert.
Posted by: montana

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 08:54 AM

Cold. You want cold move out here. It's been below freezing for a couple of weeks. Played a job a last weeks it got to 20 below that night but we still had a decent crowd (too cold to ski) I guess it's different strokes for diferent folks. I'm glad we all like different things else everyone would be after my wife!!!!
Posted by: eddiefromrotherham

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 09:03 AM

Hi Gary
thanks for the Place in the Sun .It warmed me to hear it. Your voice is just right , no changes necessary.
As a matter of fact, I have been very down lately because of the cold and stormy weather here in UK. It's going to get colder they say,but like you, all I want is Spring to arrive with its promise.
As for your 'choosing a place where the temp is no less than your age' makes real sense, but I would be warmer than you .

Hadn't heard the Place in the Sun for a long time but thanks for the memory.
cheers
Eddie Johnson

------------------
Eddie from Rotherham
www.yamahakeyboards.info

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 10:33 AM

Thanks for the complements guys. Just finished cleaning the snow and ice from the driveway and sidewalk. It's a balmy 39 degrees outside now, but as DNJ said, all hell is gonna' bust loose on Thursday night.

Montana,

I lived in Spokane, Washington for three years--yep I know all about cold in your part of the world. The first winter we lived there we had 100 inches of snow on our front lawn, had to shovel the roof off a couple times to keep it from caving in, and our car had two engine heaters, one was a headbolt heater, and the other was a dipstick heater, which was the only think that allowed it to start in the morning. That's one of the reasons I moved back to Maryland--it's warmer here, but still too cold for this old man!

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Thanks for the complements guys. Just finished cleaning the snow and ice from the driveway and sidewalk. It's a balmy 39 degrees outside now, but as DNJ said, all hell is gonna' bust loose on Thursday night.
Cheers,
Gary

Gary ... what forecast you guys looking at ... weather.com has Balt at 47 degrees Wed with some flurries (can't last too long at 47), Thurs 38 and windy ... just under 50 degrees for the weekend ... I may come down there to play some golf !!! ... pretty soon the temp will be as high as your age ...
t.

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
That's one of the reasons I moved back to Maryland--it's warmer here, but still too cold for this old man!
Cheers,Gary

Gary time to put the FOR SALE sign up and get outta dodge.......btw Jimmy Buffett is waiting for you in Margaritaville

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-22-2007).]
Posted by: Nick G

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 01:51 PM

Gary,

I just want to rub this in that down here in Sydney we are in the middle of summer experiencing 40 degrees plus heat waves i have such a nice sun tan hahaha, going water skiing and fishing this weekend as we have a long weekend (no work on friday)I LOVE SUMMER!!

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 02:32 PM

Nick, You sure know how to hurt an old man's feelings. Hope you hook some big ones!

Tony, weather.com is providing you with Baltimore weather. I live about 40 miles north of Baltimore, and 700 feet higher above sea level. It's a lot colder here, and frequently when Baltimore is getting rain we're seeing snow. If you come down for a round of golf, ya' better bring your long-johns and those bright red golf balls so you can find them in the snow.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: montana

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 02:35 PM

In A mountain ski town like I live in we have our own margarittaville culture. We love the ski live style sitting on the deck of the lodge after skiing in the sun and having the cocktail of your choice. Going into the little town of Red Lodge for some good food drinks and music. There are a lot of people here you would call ski bums as oppose to beach bums. And in the summer we become fly fishing bums. Once again different strokes for different folks.

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 02:47 PM

Winter?......Phooey....Give me a bottle of Cabo Wabo "Anejo"
& I'm In Heaven....."TEQUILA" !!

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-22-2007).]
Posted by: Canadian Mountie

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/22/07 03:01 PM

You mean there is weather that exists out there that is NOT cold and snowy all of the time?
...Sounds good Gary, nice, smooth easy listening.
-Jon

------------------
-For the Glory of His Name
Posted by: TP123

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/26/07 02:40 AM

Cooooome Come to the land of
fun in the sun and surf
Hawaii!

Let's have the 4th annual Tyros Weekend in Honolulu so you can deduct it as a business expense!!

Aloha

Tom

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/26/07 05:35 AM

Tom,

I sure wish I was there right now. Temperature here at 8:00 this morning was 10 degrees. Today's high is slated for the low 20s. Last night my driveway turned into an ice skating rink, which anyone that has been here will tell you makes for a real exciting trip downhill to the house.

Thanks,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: ChuckHall

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/26/07 06:38 AM

Nice delivery on the tune, Gary.
Another Montana person here. I wouldn't trade it for the world. My wife might as she broke her leg skiing about a month ago in Jackson Hole, Wy. First broken bone for either of us in
40+ years of skiing. We might have to rethink the downhill skiing thing.

Re: A Place In The Sun... - 01/26/07 03:37 PM

Chuck,

When I lived in Spokane, WA downhill, snow-tubing and lots of other outdoor activities during the dead of winter were really a lot of fun. At 66 I've come to the conclusion that the mind keeps making appointments the body cannot keep. Now it's a slower pace of life, warmer climates and fun-filled gigs that are more suitable to my current lifestyle. One of the things I found interesting while visiting south Florida a few years ago was the number of transplants from the northwest and plains states--folks that said they wished they had migrated south 20 years sooner.

Thanks for the complements,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy