Latest X1 shipments + wheres the demo disk or O/S restore?

Posted by: DannyUK

Latest X1 shipments + wheres the demo disk or O/S restore? - 01/11/00 12:43 AM

Hi all (and especially to George K. and Unc Dave).

When I bought my X1 in October last year, I got absolutely nothing with it in terms of software, eg demo or restore disks. Do any of the latest models include these?

Was there ever a demo disk for the X1 and especially an O/S restore? My I30 and WK8 gave these types of software, why not with Solton?

If such things do exist, where can I obtain my rightful copy? (and dont say my retailer as they have no idea either as I have already interrogated them about this!).

Danny (UK)
Posted by: George Kaye

Re: Latest X1 shipments + wheres the demo disk or O/S restore? - 01/11/00 07:14 AM

Danny,
These items do not exist. There are no demo disks and no OS disks like with the WK series from generalmusic. I have questioned Solton numerous times but all they say about demo's are that there are many good song disks available and you could use one of these as your demo. My point to them was they could maximize the sound potential of the X1 if they would write a few songs using the X1 sounds at their best. Well, they haven't listened yet. I also think it is not smart not being able to recall all the factory sounds and regestrations without having to load them from a disk that you've had to save. Even though the factory installs these on the hard disk, you can accidentely erase the hard disk and then you have nothing!
George Kaye
George Kaye
Posted by: DonM

Re: Latest X1 shipments + wheres the demo disk or O/S restore? - 01/11/00 08:31 AM

George,
What's the best way to back up the HD?
Do you connect directly to the computer?
Is there a system exclusive dump of some kind?
Thanks,
Don
Posted by: DannyUK

Re: Latest X1 shipments + wheres the demo disk or O/S restore? - 01/11/00 05:05 PM

Hi George,

Thanks for your response. I totally fully agree with you with regards to potential disasters happening to the X1 and not being able to restore, thats why I thought it was essential to have a restore available. I would have to admit its rather 'lazy' of solton not to have included it and even now not even attempting to create any disks. I think is very dangerous to be complacent, and I think solton are being just that. The amount of things I have lost with regards to computer data (and would never of had it back had it not been for backups).

I noticed that DonM has already asked the question about backups, and I have already done some backups of my own, but doing it a long winded way by simply copying various bits of the HD to floppy then placing it either on a PC or keeping it on floppy.

What I have done is backed up the styles to floppy (I used 4 disks for this) and then the rest of the stuff I transferred over to my PC for storage (as I think just 1 sound bank takes up 1 HD diskette and theres around 16 banks I think).

I am sure theres another way, I think you can network the X1 to a PC directly and do it that way but I have never tried it and would not know where to start either without experimenting.

Danny (UK)
Posted by: George Kaye

Re: Latest X1 shipments + wheres the demo disk or O/S restore? - 01/11/00 11:00 PM

Danny,
If there's another way besides floppy disks I sure would like to know. this is why it takes me so long to load up custom folders when I sell a new X1. I've got dozens of floppy disks for each folder I use.
George Kaye