"One World" cd done

Posted by: trtjazz

"One World" cd done - 10/25/03 04:00 PM

For those who may have any interest, I have finished my latest. Here's the link if you'd like to drop by for a listen.

They are all short cuts about 1:30 of 6 minute tunes.

Thanks if you drop by and any feedback is welcomed.
http://imjazzed.homestead.com/currentwork.html
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html
Posted by: nardoni2002

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/25/03 05:00 PM

hi terry,i listened to majorca on media player,i must have a problem cause it took ages to load,anyway i liked it a lot ,i will listen to some more soon,the more i hear the tyros it makes me want one all the more,just have to save some cash,i think it would be a good idea for you also to make a music video at joe,s,mike

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/25/03 05:13 PM

Mike,
Thanks for the listen and words. Not sure why there is a problem with the d/l for you unless you are on dial up, then it could take a bit of time. I'm on DSL and when I click on a cut it starts to play immediately.

What sort of video are you referring to at Joe's....of what do you think I should make one of?
Terry

------------------
jam on,

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-25-2003).]

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/26/03 01:59 AM

hi terry, this a recent idea and i was thinking of putting this up as main subject on this site,but was unsure as to what nigel would say,what do you think, anyway go to,psrtutorial,click on general discusion,click on music videos,pc hall (phil)has produced a video with instructions how to set it up,and read the comments,this is certainly the way to go for music demos ,education etc,it would be nice to be able to see all of you pros perfoming,just a thought ,you could also use this idea to promote more work to your clients ,mike

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/26/03 02:08 AM

yes it was dial up ,its slow not only that but sometimes i get halfway through then cuts off and i have to start again,mind you this didnt happen yesterday,the video idea can be used to show how you play,make changes during the song,talk about how you set it up ,sing or whatever,if this takes off which i hope it does it will take music another step forward,mike

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/26/03 11:59 AM

Mike
I'll have a look at it....if you think a 1:30 mp3 takes some time to d/l on dial up you haven't seen anything until you try to d/l a vid.

I did a vid tutorial on creating styles on the PA 80. Turned out to be 28mgs (about 6 minutes or so) was the smallest I could get it and it took FOREVER to d/l for anyone that wanted it.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/26/03 01:24 PM

hi terry,this new idea of phils is different because as i understand it he doen,t use mp3,but uses windows movie maker in windows xp,WMV format, the load time is a bit longer but not much,he explains how he does it, mike
Posted by: Bill E

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/26/03 03:58 PM

Nice work, Terry. I tried to post a respone earlier but it must of got lost. Anyway, I like the around-the-world-concept and the inventive titles. "Jeruselem Jive" has very natural, realistic,drums. Thanks for sharing your music.
Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill E (edited 10-26-2003).]

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/26/03 05:44 PM

Bill
Thanks alot I appreciate the listen and words.

"Jerusalem Jive" I think is one of the more interesting pieces on the cd and uses alot of my toys in combination. It has the Motif, Tyros and Roland xv3080, Stick and guitar. to produce the different sounds.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-26-2003).]
Posted by: Tony W

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/26/03 06:46 PM

Hi Terry,
Loved 'Jerusalem Jive' especially how the melody is kind of echoed by the flute which then dominates then slips to background again. Really cool.

Moscow at midnight I really really love. The piano is really smooth and light. I could listen to this one all night! (actually I have it on repeat on media player so I have been listening to it for quite a while )

Listening to 'One World' through the headphones is pretty good! That wonderful effect where it shoots from one ear to the other really fits well with the 'style' of the song. It is much too late to listen to it through the speakers at the mo (2.40am here) but I will tomorrow! It will be interesting to see if it sounds as 'etherel' through the speakers.

Tibetan Gold really reminds me of something and I can't put my finger on what it is....I don't mean a tune or song ....I mean an experience! I like it though.....very eastern promise Did you use specific asian instruments (real or sampled) for this track? The sound is very authentic and excellent imho.

Out of the four I have listened to so far my fave has to be 'Moscow at Midnight'. Kind of Cole Porter meets Alan Price who suggest they meet Terry Telson and all jam on in Red Square over ice cold Vodka and hot sweet tea!

As usual nice work Terry. Really enjoyed listening and will be back at your site for the rest tomorrow!
Tony

------------------
www.tonywmusic.co.uk
Posted by: Tony W

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/26/03 07:01 PM

P.S. BILL,
Your earlier comments meant for Terry ended up on Idatrod's thread So it is not really lost .... Mike is just looking after it
Best to you
Tony
Posted by: Bluezplayer

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/26/03 07:35 PM

You are one proficient guy Terry. I liked Majorca, Katmandu, and Tibetan world very much. Also the "industrial" percussion sounds on "One World".

A few of these tunes make me imagine what some of the fractal music I've listened to could sound like if real musicians playing real musical instruments made it. That's a compliment btw.. I have dabbled with fractal music myself, and listened to a few good fractal pieces that I can realy get into.. but more often I find fractal tunes to be lifeless and without direction.. or just too way out there.

Good job.. nice drums on this stuff.

AJ
Posted by: Bill E

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/26/03 07:48 PM

Tony, how did that happen, I have not yet even READ idatrods' thread! Anyway, thanks for the heads-up.
Bill

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/26/03 08:26 PM

Tony,
Thanks big time after not hearing from you for awhile it was nice to have touch again. Glad you enjoyed the work. I think as always the journey is ever changing for me and hopefully along with that always getting better as well. I'm also pleased that you are hearing some of the more subtle nuances that I have included in some of the cuts that I put there for those like you who listen closely.

Something that has always stuck with me from my earlier years as a canvas painter and hanging out with other painters as well is this....I was looking at an abstract watercolor of another artists work and we were discussing it. I asked him why he was painting abstract instead of realism, his reply was, " with abstract things they never get old, every time I look at it I can see a new painting, whereas with realism after I see it once, I get it and it will be the same each time I visit it." I thought a ring of truth to it and it gave me a new perspective on viewing works like that.

In some way I hope my work at least partially reflects that thought process, unexpected and new with each visit, but most especially on the first listen, because it is not formula cookie mold sort of composition.

To me also the ultimate compliment is the one you make here with "Tibetan Gold" that it evokes an emotion or memory in you, through the listening experience.....it doesn't get any better than that from my perspective.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/26/03 08:28 PM

AJ,
As always your input is greatly appreciated as I have always enjoyed and respected your work and abilities.

I hope my music a bit more connected and melodic than much of the fractal stuff I've heard. Conceptually though I understand your connection to my work and fractal and does indeed have a sense of some elements of fractal compositional techniques. Hopefully going a step further and creating order from the chaos.
thanks,
Terry

------------------
jam on,

Posted by: Bluezplayer

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/26/03 09:06 PM

Terry,

Your songs are certainly more melodic than most of the fractal stuff I've heard.

Fractal compostion has always intrigued me, and there are certain elements of it that I would like to incorporate into a few of my songs. I did one tune a while back that started out in Lars Linderman's very simple but cool "Music in the Numbers" Program. It went thru much editing and addition and subtraction, but the core idea I got from MITN remained the theme of the song. I have to look thru my CD archives here to see if I still have it.

There are a select few out there who actually make some pretty cool music via some of these programs. Phil Jackson, who moderates the CN fractal forum is one of them. A lot of editing probably gets done after a piece is "born" in a fractal program.

A few of your songs give me a feel of something that may have had fractal beginnings or fractal elements added and then was well developed into good music. I like it...

AJ

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/27/03 02:30 AM

AJ
Fractal music or fractal algorhythms are rather an interesting concept I think. Most fractal music I like you have a pretty hard time getting behind. I am open to the thought process though and think of it as yet another color on the musical palette. Use what I can and leave what I can't.
Terry

------------------
jam on,

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-27-2003).]
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/27/03 08:30 AM

What's all this talk about "Fractal" music? I never heard the term. Is it a writing method?

Re: "One World" cd done - 10/28/03 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Dave:
What's all this talk about "Fractal" music? I never heard the term. Is it a writing method?

Dave, It's a rather odd concept that I am sure you will not care for on a light read through or listen. One has to consider tha possibilities though that can be done with it if explored further, I think. One has to be open to think outside the box with fractal theory.

Here's a couple of links to fractal sites:
http://www.fractalmusiclab.com/default.asp
http://www.thinks.com/sounds/fractal.htm
Terry

------------------
jam on,

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-28-2003).]