what you don't like about synth zone

Posted by: Fran Carango

what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 01:15 PM

Be aware I am going to delete this post after 10 responses..
Posted by: Leon

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 01:49 PM

I've gotten too much invaluable information from the posts here to have any real dislikes.
Contributors like yourself, U.D., Tony, Scott, SK...(the list goes on)...the combined knowledge and level of expertise is as MasterCard would say...Priceless
....Just my thots...

[This message has been edited by Leon (edited 05-08-2003).]
Posted by: Mainer

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 02:01 PM

I've been on several lists over the years Organs and keyboards and have to say that you cannot put a punch of talented intellegent folks together without a few gripes. I didn't mention Egos did I LOL. This is a great list and how fortunate we are to be able to share in all the wealth of info. Oh where was I, Rambling I Think. I find this a great place.

Jerry
Posted by: Starkeeper

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 02:02 PM

This is a great place to learn about new products, rumors, product reviews, etc. It's an education. I still don't understand all the jargon about softsynths. Most people here use arrangers, just like I do!! There's a bond there.
Here's something I don't like, there are very few, if any, women on this forum. Don't women use arrangers? Are arrangers too complicated for them?
Starkeeper

P.S. I have never, and will never delete my posts.
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 02:28 PM

There are 5 or 6 guys in my market that play the same venues as I. We are friendly comptitors, but competitors all the same. Consequently, some of the conversations among us are a bit guarded.

Here at SZ, most of us who play for a living are not competiting with one another and can share all kinds of info openly without fear of reprisals. Personally, I have found that very refreshing and feel like I am among friends who genuinely are devoted to their craft and willing to help each other.

The requests for help I made after getting my PSR 2000 were answered quickly by SZ members, some of whom even called by phone to help, and on their own dime. The same was true when I decided to upgrade my speakers. I, in turn, have helped others who were also learning. And, I particularly enjoy hearing the personal experiences unique to the biz that most here have shared.

I have also purchased equipment from a member. The deal was all it was expected to be and both of us have become long-distance friends even though our ages and lifestyles are very different.

What I don't like: the feeling that I get on days I can't access SynthZone. The day is not complete without one visit.

I regard the occasional skirmishes that arise as petty and chalk a lot of them up to misunderstandings inherent to quickly composed printed communication which is common on many forums.

If you see something that you don't like...CLICK...it is gone. Move on. No need to make a federal case out of it. There is way too much good to be gained than to dwell on the things that bother you.

Kudos to Nigel.

Eddie
Posted by: freddynl

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 02:46 PM

well... Fran it is becoming a bit dull now and then , not much hotheads or ideots anymore

Anyway I agree with all others.
It's one of the best places on the net, a very valuable source for newbies and experts.
Also overall a very high standard with net etiquette.
There are no negatives in my opinion and we should compliment Nigel as well for this.

I hardly use arrangers these days, nevertheless I am still a regular visitor.

Take care of you all.

Fred
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 02:48 PM

Every time I visit this site, I learn something. Sometimes it's just some minor tip from one of the many pros, UD, DNJ, etc., but everyone usually has something constructive to contribute. Granted, there are some topics that I may not agree with, but just the same, I'll still read them. Most of the time, if I can help someone by contributing information from my tiny, aging brain, I'll jump in and try to provide that person with some insight from my experiences.

As for dislikes, I guess I just don't have any. Even when someone gets upset about someone's views on a subject, I try to keep in mind that their opinion is just as valuable as everyone else's.

Keep On Truckin' guys and gals--and Donny, you're not going to leave me here, all alone, with all these crazies!

Cheers,

Gary
Posted by: dlstarry

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 03:00 PM

This is my favorite list, there has been many folks that have helped
me with questions that I had about one thing or another.
Heck I even bought my 9000 pro because of the good reports I got
from folks right here at the Zone, & I have never been sorry I bought it.

I guess the best of friends get in a little argument once in awhile, so
I think this means we are all good friends here. Anyway I know I feel
you are all my friends.

The best to all of you
Denny
Posted by: GlennT

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 03:15 PM

Fran...

That you asked for dislikes and are receiving so many positives speaks volumes. I have been on professional/medical forums that cannot match the altruistic help found here.

Ditto to all the above. Great post, Eddie.

Glenn
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
what you don't like about synth zone.

That we all don't live in CLOSER proximity to one another . . .

though I suppose the potnetial down side might be that we might end up in a big cat fight.

Seriously though, I think this place has got the greatest group of arranger keyboard enthusiasts on earth. I've met so many wonderful people here, some who I've even had the priviledge to meet, and play music with in person; but there are still so many others of you here that I want to meet and play music with as well.

The SZ arranger forum has withstood the test of time to become my second family as I've been here on a daily basis for over 3-1/2 years. It's been said before, but it's TIME we organize an official Synthzone Arranger Keyboard convention soon, perhaps in a centrally located city convenient to the most number of members interested in attending. hey, I'd love an exuse for a vacation to an interesting travel destination. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
Be aware I am going to delete this post after 10 responses.

ok, I think I got my post in just 'under the wire'

Scott
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 03:45 PM

I've been repeating this over and over: this is my favorite forum and definitely a warm place to be. I have learned many, many things from a lot of people. Most of them much more experienced than me. You all influenced my path through music, my equipment choices, and I practicaly began playing live WITH this forum, so I won't easily forget how much it means to me.
I really don't have complaints, and the "big cat fights" should be regarded in a cool way: they are a part of life. They are everywhere, and I'm optimistic that we are silently learning to tolerate each other's agressive, egocentric, stubborn, strong personalities ;-)
Ok, Fran, I'm prepared to be erased...

-- José.

[This message has been edited by matias (edited 05-08-2003).]
Posted by: KN_Fan

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 04:06 PM

I second what Scott says.

The fact that we even talk about other topics (besides arrangers) show that we're comfortable with each other and we (some of us) value each other's opinion. I even offered Scott to be his assistants, carrying speakers and such for min wage $12/hour..ha.ha...

I'm up for a synthzone member meeting. Somewhere in Calif would be good.

Fran- you can delete your thread now

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 05:14 PM

Na, I'm not deleting this one,,the response is exactly what I thought would happen...See, everyone is content and we all realize as individuals, we have our own ideas and opinions, and so what if there are afew bumps in the road..
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 05:20 PM

I agree with all the positives. I mostly appreciate the professionalism and the courtesy displayed on thsi board.

What I don't like is the the software. I'm tired of the Red and Cyan colors and wish we had more control over our personal colors/settings.

Al
Posted by: Zack

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 05:40 PM

ok people. you know what i hate about this forum? well, we can start about the ridiculous propensity of the majority of the users to advise and counsel the lesser experienced of us without a second thought... there's the fantastic breadth of knowledge available to anyone with a question, even the most backward hick...there's the openess, the honesty, feeling of companionship and fellowship with fellow musicians struggling to make it in the world... i could go on and on. As someone else mentioned before, whenever highly talented, creative individuals get together, of course there are going to be bumps in the road, but that road is a mighty sweet one indeed. Nigel, this forum will reverbrate down the halls of music and keyboarding for a long time to come. You got a great thing going here. Rock on dudes! Zack
Posted by: FreeStyle

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 06:48 PM

I started to follow this forum 3 months ago. In that 3 months I've learned so much here. It's full of professional and practical advise "on the road".

The most important part this forum, is the family of people / personalities on the keys.
Without them, there's no music.

Dislikes? The forum members are thousands of miles away !
Posted by: zuki

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 07:30 PM

I think this forum is boring and mostly nonsense.
Posted by: Arthur R. Jacobs

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 08:16 PM

Hello music-makers: I am a beginner, and I love this forum and to have a place to ask beginners questions. Most day's I gain some very helpful musical knowledge. The day's I don't learn much, are day's when the questions and answers are just peppered with abbreviations. When one is trying to learn all the operating procedures of a complicated electronic keyboard, and you are presented with dozens of abbreviations, to which you don't have a clue, you just give up and wait for another forum day when things are written in full plain english. I understand the need for the desire to shorten things up, and this complaint is a good way of doing it, it's just disappointing to almost get the understanding but not quite. Some day's it's like a foreign language. You guy's are terrific, and someday I hope to talk your complete lingo. ARJ
Posted by: ChicoBrasil

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 08:22 PM

Andrea Rotolo lives in Roma, Italy
I live in Belo Horizonte,Brasil.
Next week, Me and Andrea will play bossa nova in the same Concert.
This miracle, only our forum can do.
Chico
Posted by: cam8neel

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 09:04 PM

Let's see, where do I begin?

I purchased my PSR2K because of this forum. I also purchased my EV SxA100's because of what I read on this forum.

Hey!! You guys are costing me money!!

Seriously, I consider you all family. I have not stopped learning since I've been here. I've re-started my career after gaining confidence through others' experiences on this forum. We don't realize what we have here, my friends. Nigel, thank you...

Angelo
Posted by: zuki

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/08/03 09:08 PM

....I was only kidding....it's a daily ritual in my life to check the news. Thanks for much help to all my forum friends.
ZUKI
Posted by: Nigel

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 12:19 AM

No complaints here Fran
I love this place !!!!!
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 12:28 AM

Both synthzone and JoeWalters PSR2k site are the top 2 for me. I visit both a number of times each day.
I have also made many e-mail contact friends from different parts of the world.

Well done to all of us for our input posts and to Nigel for making it all possible.

Graham UK
Posted by: Nigel

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 12:45 AM

kbrkr, the only reason I don't update the BBS software is because there is no ongoing support to export the BBS messages to later software. So rather than just lose the past 5 years of discussion I have opted not to change software. Extra bells and whistles don't seem to be worth losing lots of great information that has built up over the years.

So although the red and cyan color scheme may not be your choice I can darken them so the contrast with the text is improved. Would that help to subdue the color scheme ?

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 05-09-2003).]
Posted by: MacAllcock

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 01:06 AM

Fran:

My only dislike is sometimes we fire first and ask questions later. But at least we can carry on talking afterwards!

I'm another one who gets withdrawal symptoms. I first logged in here when dithering over my PSR2000 purchase. Advice given then was very useful and helped a lot and this has continued ever since. It is very helpful and supprtive having a community of knowledgable friends available "on the line" like this.
Posted by: Mosiqaar

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 02:47 AM

Apparently I cannot count to 10 , cause the thread is still here

This place like I said once before, the only bad thing about it is that its addictive, once you are in, there is no going out. At least thats how I feel

I love it!
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 04:40 AM

I don't like the designated hitter. Makes the AL look like sissies. Grab a bat, for crying out loud !
Posted by: SD_FAN

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 04:49 AM

My words are the same of Chico.

I live in São Paulo, Brazil.
Chico lives in Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
Andrea lives in Rome, Italy.

In the next saturday (17) I’m going to know both personally in Bossa in Concert and in my baggage back to São Paulo I will get the Chico’s 9000Pro.

Could this happen without this Forum ?

Armando
Posted by: cassp

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 05:27 AM

This is a FANTASTIC forum! I love reading all the posts and look forward to meeting up with all of the regular and new names. It's fun and educational.

What don't I like? Maybe a daily digest would be nice, but this forum seems to get so much traffic that that would be improbable. Newest post at the top? possibly, but the scroll feature is great and we almost always get all the topics on one page.

------------------
Cass Pawlowski
Detroit, MI
PSR2000, Roland SC88
Cakewalk, Sonar, Power Tracks, BIAB
Posted by: cassp

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 06:04 AM

I think both leagues should bat ten people - all nine positions and the designated hitter.

They should give points for who score the most runs every three innings (1-3, 4-6, 7-9) and whoever has the most (total) at the end of the game. Maybe there would be more action - nah!

Cass
Posted by: svpworld

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 06:16 AM

I'm a regular visitor of Synthzone, and without doubt it has enabled the formation of a first class arranger community. Nigel, I'd be interested to know how large your SQL db file has grown, since despite the enormous archives it still works pretty quickly!
Although I host my own forums and site, I feel that synthzone is a compliment in its diversity and immense content and I am often advising my customers to visit here.
I know that running and maintaining large forums is an expensive and time consuming pastime, but the rewards are clear in the friendly community that develops.
I have no dislikes that are worthy of voicing here, as more often or not its the content and not the cover that matters when choosing a good book! Of course I could suggest many improvements, revisions and changes, but if it works why fix it!

All the best for the future Nigel!

Kindest regards
Simon Williams
SVPworld

------------------
forum.svpworld.com ... It's all happening!
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 06:22 AM

OK .... everyone above has given what MY thoughts would be ... We often refer to each other as "family" ... well, in that regard, what family doesn't have disagreements and disputes from time to time ... AND, if you do have a disagreement with a S-Z family member, you don't have to be concerned about sitting next to them at the next family wedding .....
Again, THANK YOU Nigel ...
So, kids, let's keep on keepin' on, make beautiful music, and remember:
Peace, Love, and PATIENCE
t.
UD .... as much as I have been a NY Yankees fan and an American League fan all my life, I have to agree with you on the DH ... Baseball is like this forum .... it does NOT need to be changed ... especially with ideas like the latest 'All-Star Game' fiasco ....
t.
Posted by: Catsailor

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 07:00 AM

What I don't like is the immaturity. Now, I'm going to take my ball and go home.

Peter
Posted by: nardoni2002

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 07:32 AM

hi all,most of us newbies wouldnt have a learned a half of what we have learnt if it had not had been from the sincere advice from this forum,can you imagine ringing up the store you bought your keyboard from for advice lots of times ,i dont think so,you are all a great bunch of mates ,thanks NIGEL for bringing us all together ,mike
Posted by: ChicoBrasil

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SD_FAN:
My words are the same of Chico.

I live in São Paulo, Brazil.
Chico lives in Belo Horizonte, Brazil.
Andrea lives in Rome, Italy.

In the next saturday (17) I’m going to know both personally in Bossa in Concert and in my baggage back to São Paulo I will get the Chico’s 9000Pro.

Could this happen without this Forum ?

Armando

After the Concert, uma bella pasta(Penne ala 4 formaggio) of course...
Chico
Posted by: Bill E

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 08:01 AM

If this thread gets hijacked by us baseball nuts then Fran WILL delete it, but I'm with you guys, the DH rule is lame. Sing with me boys-----"Take me out to the ball game"
Posted by: KFingers

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 08:26 AM

I also enjoy visiting this forum very much and enjoy reading the views of the members even though I don't neccessarily agree with all. I have also have picked up many tips here although I have playing to paying audiences for almost 40 years now. There is no doubt that everyone feels that this is a great international forum.

There are many things that I can list that I like but what was actually asked for were the dislikes!

I have only two and the first is that there are not enough non Yamaha owners posting here. At certain times it looks like a Yamaha arranger forum rather than a general arranger one. I myself am guilty of not posting very much and am part of the problem I guess. This maybe because Yamaha have sold more A/Ks than anyone else but it also maybe because there is no dedicated Yamaha Arranger Keyboard Forum whereas there are for Ketron, Roland, Technics and GEM here. Just a thought but what about starting one Nigel.

My other point is that many of the members here are based in the US. That's not the problem for me. I'm in the UK and feel a great affinity towards you yanks especially after the recent problems in the Gulf.

No, my problem is that you talk about sports which I don't really understand, about a game you call football but play with crash helmets on!!! - Another game that the girls here play that we call rounders that you play with short trousers, an oven glove and a stick - Lots of stuf about bears and indians with red sock on??? I dont mind OT subjects but ones that we can all contribute to please!!!!

Have I just committed Forum suicide? Aaaaaarrrggghhhh
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
kbrkr, the only reason I don't update the BBS software is because there is no ongoing support to export the BBS messages to later software. So rather than just lose the past 5 years of discussion I have opted not to change software. Extra bells and whistles don't seem to be worth losing lots of great information that has built up over the years.

So although the red and cyan color scheme may not be your choice I can darken them so the contrast with the text is improved. Would that help to subdue the color scheme ?

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 05-09-2003).]

Nigel,

Ok that explains it pretty good. I wouldn't ask you to change the colors for my sake. Color is such a subjective thing, you'll undoubtedly make someone else unhappy. Perhaps we can find you new software and write a conversion program to migrate the archives?

Thank you and Regards
Al
Posted by: The Pro

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 09:16 AM

I was going to skip posting a comment here because I do have some honest thoughts on this topic that likely won't be taken as such. I'm very busy these days fortunately and I've enjoyed some of the past discussions here but I will be taking a less active role in the future. For some that will be a relief.

I've said this before but it's still true today: my biggest gripe here would be the lack of open-mindedness with some of the more senior members of this forum combined with the tendency by others to rush to defend the "honor" of another when a decent debate gets rolling. Nobody wants to waste time debating with a mob so good discussions here have been shut down or deleted because of this. The only path to progress is to challenge the assumptions of those who know the most, or think that they do. Crossing swords sharpens them. I love for my knowledge and presumptions to be challenged especially when I learn something in the process. Others seem to take that kind of challenge personally though, which turns intellectual debate into chest-thumping mush. Or group-hugging mush when it's all over, which serves only to move the conversation back into monotony. Boring each other isn't the hallmark of a good forum. I won't stay in any forum that doesn't allow a good brawl now and then.

And while we're on the subject of brawling let me say this: Yamaha and Roland and Korg can kiss my ass. You know, we all get real excited when Yamaha rep Steve Deming graces us with a brief thought or sentence (and to his credit nobody else has even bothered), but the instrument manufacturers and representatives more than anyone should be active in discussing the uses and implications of the instruments with end-users in a forum away from the 30-60 seconds you can sometimes get with them at noisy trade shows (most of which are closed to the public anyway). The tired excuse of "we can't talk about upcoming products or improvements" is a dodge that means they just won't talk with the consumer at all. I refuse to accept that. I have had good discussions in forums with the people developing the Eko that showed that it is quite possible for companies and customers to interact towards a common goal. In fact, that kind of open communication and platform IS the future of music technology. So if my next keyboard doesn't come from "the big three", that's their fault... I'd love to talk about it with them but...

For all it's good point I see what this forum could be, and it could be better. It shouldn't just be a place where newbies get answers but also where experienced players reevaluate their rigs and make their work lighter, smarter, and better. It should be a place where tempers openly flair in the light of realization. And a place where we could get answers on topics that only instrument manufacturers can answer. Parts of these things are available on different forums but there isn't one that has them all. That's why I'll keep bouncing around...

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 05-09-2003).]

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 10:25 AM

This forum is what we make it individually and collectively..It is alright to disagree[I disagree with Pro on some points,nothing really important..as I disagree with others, even my friends]..If they realized I am always right there would not be disagreements..We all should lighten up..nothing on SZ is earth shaken..There is nothing wrong with sarcasm in a good natured way;even if you mean it and it is true[UD and Donny are fat, so what ,they know it...but they will step up to the plate to help the same sarcastic person that made this statement]...We all have to laugh at ourselves once in a while...It reduces high blood pressure and makes you a real person....I don't see anything wrong with this forum, it's all in our attitudes...
Posted by: Idatrod

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 10:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Pro:
[B] I'm very busy these days fortunately and I've enjoyed some of the past discussions here but I will be taking a less active role in the future. For some that will be a relief.

Sorry to see you'll be sitting on the sidelines more Jim. We need all the DH's we can get.

So go ahead and be that way! And don't forget to say hello to all those Keyboard junkies over at Harmony Central for us will ya?

You realize of course they don't even have an Arranger Forum over there! I can see it now; Jim sells his 9KPro on Ebay and buys an EKo instead. PS: If you ever get the EKo let us know how it works out. And don't forget to post on the SZ at least once in a while!

Best regards,
Mike
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 10:33 AM

3 BIGGIES for SYNTHZONE:

NO popups
No banners
No clicking thru annoying ad pages

I would shout "Yahoo!!!"... but they do all three.
Eddie
Posted by: Starkeeper

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 10:45 AM

The Pro,
I second what Idatrod said, let us know if you buy an Ekco or otherwise go software arranger.
I enjoy my Roland and Yamaha: The Roland has some great sounds but little functionality, the Yamaha has great functionality but some of the sounds, especially the piano, are not as good. A software arranger would correct both problems.
Starkeeper
Posted by: DMC

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 11:04 AM

WELL, SINCE YOU ASKED......

I don't like the fact that all times are in PT. whats up with that, I live on the east coast????? and another thing, I don't like the textured background, its too bumpy. And where are all the advertisements, what if I wanted to buy some Viagra?
Just joking, this site is the bees knees

DudeManCentral
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:

Yamaha and Roland and Korg can kiss my ass.

Jim,
I like your subtle use of metaphors.
Posted by: brickboo

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/09/03 06:49 PM

Well I don't like Fran calling my buddies fat here on the Zone. A more truthful statement would be that they are very large and can't carry a tune in a bucket. But they sure can sing.

I get depressed here also some times when I hear the complaining about all the 40lb gear they have to pick up. All of Donny's and UD's gear put together don't weight even 20% of my 800lb cement mixer their stuff doesn't even weight as much as my 300lb brick saw. And besides they make way more money than I do. I can't even make as much as them if I hire 4 bricklayers to work with me. I'm going to get another Prozac now.
See why I don't like the Zone.

And to add insult on top of all of this, Fran has to post his pictures of the two movie stars that associate with him. If I had those 2 girls with me, I'd get all kinds of gigs and make more money than UD and Donny could count. Come to think of it I'll go have 2 Prozacs and a couple of beers too.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/10/03 08:41 AM

Heheheheheh Boo... easy on the prozac, by the way what kind of beer goes good with that? Fran had a listen to your CD and is professionaly reviewing it as we speak. Also have you finally settled on a Sound System and Digital recorder?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-10-2003).]
Posted by: Bluezplayer

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/10/03 10:51 AM

I try these days to take most things in life just a tad less seriously than I used too, and of course the forum is no exception. Illness / Injury along with thinking through the reality that I'm only here for a short time and then when I'm gone, I'm gone, has contributed a lot to the way I view things today. In spite of some physical impairment, I am fortunate enough that I can still function and do most of what I want to do. So.. I choose to try to enjoy myself and take things a bit lighter as much as possible on a daily basis.

The botoom line here, I don't get upset very often any more no matter what I read herre or anywhere else. In fact, this forum has been a wealth of information to me and has really helped me to "see" and learn about instruments and so many other things musical that I might not otherwise be able to learn much about.

Even though it sways from the topic, I want to make a comment on what James said. I don't feel quite as strong about it as you do James, but.. I have similar thoughts about 2 of the big 3 ( I know little about the current crop of Roland products or their service ) . While my experience has been that Korg has done a bit more for their arranger customers by offering free extra styles along with devoting a company website to the PA80 series with extra wares for the PA series and with links to other goodies, Yamaha aranger users themselves have provided an extraordinary amount of additional resources for Yamaha arrangers. I agree too about not caring for the secretive nature, not discussing any future plans / designs, etc, but I guess these companies reserve the right to do that and probably with some valid reasons in their way of thinking. More often though, I'm drawn to the smaller software producers, like Joe Maas with OMB and Richard Grant and David Castles of Soundtrek ( Jammer Pro ). You can converse with these folks easily and they regularly participate in discussions with users, and very often they take the suggestions of these users and implement them in later releases. It isn't so easy with Yamaha or Korg.. more like pulling teeth, but this is the way it seems to be in any field when dealing with larger outfits..

There are a lot of good reasons I can think of ( from everyone's point of view.. including Yamaha , Korg.. etc ) as to why this is the case, but it's fodder for another thread.

AJ
Posted by: trtjazz

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/10/03 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
I was going to skip posting a comment here because I do have some honest thoughts on this topic that likely won't be taken as such. I'm very busy these days fortunately and I've enjoyed some of the past discussions here but I will be taking a less active role in the future. For some that will be a relief.

I've said this before but it's still true today: my biggest gripe here would be the lack of open-mindedness with some of the more senior members of this forum combined with the tendency by others to rush to defend the "honor" of another when a decent debate gets rolling. Nobody wants to waste time debating with a mob so good discussions here have been shut down or deleted because of this. The only path to progress is to challenge the assumptions of those who know the most, or think that they do. Crossing swords sharpens them. I love for my knowledge and presumptions to be challenged especially when I learn something in the process. Others seem to take that kind of challenge personally though, which turns intellectual debate into chest-thumping mush. Or group-hugging mush when it's all over, which serves only to move the conversation back into monotony. Boring each other isn't the hallmark of a good forum. I won't stay in any forum that doesn't allow a good brawl now and then.

And while we're on the subject of brawling let me say this: Yamaha and Roland and Korg can kiss my ass. You know, we all get real excited when Yamaha rep Steve Deming graces us with a brief thought or sentence (and to his credit nobody else has even bothered), but the instrument manufacturers and representatives more than anyone should be active in discussing the uses and implications of the instruments with end-users in a forum away from the 30-60 seconds you can sometimes get with them at noisy trade shows (most of which are closed to the public anyway). The tired excuse of "we can't talk about upcoming products or improvements" is a dodge that means they just won't talk with the consumer at all. I refuse to accept that. I have had good discussions in forums with the people developing the Eko that showed that it is quite possible for companies and customers to interact towards a common goal. In fact, that kind of open communication and platform IS the future of music technology. So if my next keyboard doesn't come from "the big three", that's their fault... I'd love to talk about it with them but...

For all it's good point I see what this forum could be, and it could be better. It shouldn't just be a place where newbies get answers but also where experienced players reevaluate their rigs and make their work lighter, smarter, and better. It should be a place where tempers openly flair in the light of realization. And a place where we could get answers on topics that only instrument manufacturers can answer. Parts of these things are available on different forums but there isn't one that has them all. That's why I'll keep bouncing around...

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 05-09-2003).]

Pro,
I can't for one find a thing wrong with any of your points here and I agree 100%.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html
Posted by: danb

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/10/03 03:27 PM

This forum has been great since I discovered it. Very informative. To make this forum complete. maybe Nigel, our sysadmin here can add a live chat feature so we can see each other thru webcam and hear our music right away.

Wherever forum or discussion you go, problem will always arise. There are always people trying to ruin the good discussions and make it all bad. And I think we all know that it is common even in our daily lives.

So far, the forum is great and very helpful for some people who needs information about synths, arranger keyboards and other musical needs. Let us all appreciate Nigel's hardwork, dedication, and patience to keep this forum alive.

danb
Posted by: DonM

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/10/03 08:48 PM

Boo, pay attention--you are from Louisiana and if you come back here and eat Crawfish, as I told Donny, everything will be alright.
DonM
Posted by: brickboo

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/10/03 09:26 PM

Don,

I had the brother in law and the sister in law up from Mississippi this week. They left this morning. We had something close yesterday. I boiled shrimp. Horseradish ketchup the who works even potatoes in the pot. I haven't forgotten how to do that.

I want to come, but Penny wants to wait until the flowers die. It might be a while. I won't pass through without stopping to jam.
Boo
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/11/03 03:21 AM

This is a great place for keyboardplayers
all over the world. I even like the messages
that are not serious, because sometimes they
have a hidden message. Specially my Dutch
friends, Wis, Deb and Bevan, I like your in-
put. Yesterdaynight I saw and heard the Dutch
Swing College Band which was founded in 1945.
A superior concert with topmusicians.
Their Boogeypianist Rob Agerbeek was really
impressing.
Posted by: Bevan

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/12/03 09:39 AM

Many thanks to Nigel for this great forum!
You are OK Mart, but sometimes I am very
serious and you know that.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/13/03 06:10 AM

Oh yeah .... what I don't like about S-Z is the fact that I can't get through a morning without coming in here ....
t.
Posted by: Wis

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/13/03 09:35 AM

This forum is a problem, it is too good!
Posted by: Joe Waters

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/13/03 09:44 AM

I avoided looking at this post for a long time -- I didn't have any problems with synth zone and wasn't interested in hearing about any either. But, eventually, with 50 some posts, I thought I'd better take a peek. Well, there weren't any complaints, or at least not very many! My days are pretty filled with non-music stuff, and the remaining free time I'm almost always at my keyboard (music and/or computer). But, nonetheless, there is no other forum that I check as regularly as this one. That vote of confidence is because of the quality of the content, which, in turn, is a product of all the users who regularly visit and contribute here. Thanks to all of you!
Posted by: arnothijssen

Re: what you don't like about synth zone - 05/13/03 09:46 AM

First of all I would like to thank Nigel for all his time and efforts.
This forum is a great place for us keyboard players to exchange ideas and information.
There is only 1 thing I am missing, and that is a way to track your own posts.