Internet Midi question??????????????

Posted by: musicman37

Internet Midi question?????????????? - 02/01/05 09:23 PM

O.K.
I have downloaded many midi files from various sites and was wandering why all but a mere 2 or 3 sound as if they were made back when keyboards first came out. I have actually not downloaded some because of the instrument sounds that were used and they sounded really cheap, or just thrown together. BUT, this really is no problem since I can totaly change them once inside my machine(psr3000). But seriously, whats up with the midis?
Posted by: MacAllcock

Re: Internet Midi question?????????????? - 02/02/05 01:09 AM

I can't tell you why so many of the midi files out there are so bad but I can agree that this is the case!
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: Internet Midi question?????????????? - 02/02/05 02:35 AM

There are many poor midifiles out there but,if you are auditioning the files from your computer, good files will sound bad if your soundcard isn't upraded.

Bernie
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Internet Midi question?????????????? - 02/02/05 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by musicman37:
But seriously, whats up with the midis?

Midi files are pirated, shared, stolen, but rarely sold. It's no small wonder that there are a lot of crappy ones on the net for free. Buy from Tune 1000 and you'll love every one. There are other companies, but that's a good place to start.

Don't be so excited to get free stuff, till you actually HEAR the stuff. Some of it isn't worth the time it takes to download it.
Posted by: mikeathome1

Re: Internet Midi question?????????????? - 02/02/05 04:40 AM

Midi hits.com been using them since 1991.
Posted by: The Pro

Re: Internet Midi question?????????????? - 02/02/05 04:53 AM

Roll your own.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Internet Midi question?????????????? - 02/02/05 05:47 AM

If you need "Just like the record" SMF's..here are a few of the better companies..
AS Dave mentioned, Tune 1000, Hands on Music, Tryco..These 3 are consistently good..there are others that range from great to average with a few clunkers..
As Jim mentioned you can roll your own[personalized], but unless you are gifted, the results will not sound "Just like the record"...it is very hard to do and time consuming..
Posted by: GlennT

Re: Internet Midi question?????????????? - 02/02/05 08:20 AM

http://styles-music.com/default.asp

Expensive, but most are excellent.