Real Strat - Really Good stuff

Posted by: Bluezplayer

Real Strat - Really Good stuff - 09/20/07 06:11 AM

Musiclabs RealStrat- http://www.musiclab.com/products/realstrat_info.htm

I just got it and all I can say is wow....

At my level of guitar play, I doubt I'll ever be able to make a real guitar sound as good as I can make this thing sound after an hour or so of playing around with it. Every real guitar effect I can think of is there.. Hammer ons, scrapes, mutes, chuck's, etc etc and etc. All I need is a better controller ( thinking bass pedals even might work ) so that I can use all of the functionality in real time and still use both hands to play.

For me, Forget SA SX, Guitar modes, and so on..... All cool tricks to be sure, and they can add a bit of realism to what we play, but this is as good as I've seen it for emulating the real thing, ( I'm thinking Chris Hein guitars and the top end sample sets I've seen ) and as I go back and forth betwen the T2 and this app I realize that the SA guitar voices aren't close at all.

So much for shelving my laptop for live play... Time for me to go get a dedicated controller again and a fancy foot or bass pedal. I've liked my T2 for it's Articulation and Megavoices since the day I bought it, especially the guitars. That said, with RS and it's sister app, Real Guitar, there isn't any way I can go back now...

Now If I can just talk Sergey into making a "RealLesPaul" ... I won't expect it though. It took them a long time and some intense programming to get RS out there, but after using it for a bit, I can understand why....

Regards,

AJ
Posted by: Diki

Re: Real Strat - Really Good stuff - 09/20/07 11:29 AM

When you have got it down, how about a few snippets showing how you play it, AJ?

Re: Real Strat - Really Good stuff - 09/20/07 01:11 PM

Absolutely Diki. The potential is definitely there. I'm seeing and hearing pretty much all of the stuff that is in the video demo. I just need a bit of time to figure out the best way to set her up so that I can play it decently in real time.

The good thing about it's interface is that the user gets to choose how to set it up. I can choose any key or midi cc to use for each function / effect. Also each assignment I make has several options available, so for example I can choose the controller as an on / off, ( press once and it stays on, press again and it turns off, or I can make it work like a sustain pedal, so that when I release the key or controller the effect stops. Kinda like being able to design your own customized Mega / Articulation voice.

AJ
Posted by: freddynl

Re: Real Strat - Really Good stuff - 09/20/07 01:35 PM

Thanks for the link AJ.
Some of the demo's are impressive.

Will have an insight look at it, as soon as I have built my new DAW.

Fred
Posted by: trident

Re: Real Strat - Really Good stuff - 09/21/07 12:56 AM

This thing sounds awsome!!!

My wife has a 15 year old godson who is taking guitar lessons.... and as most kids at the same age, does not think arragers are any good.....can't wait to show this demos to the poor kid and ruin his day, LOL
Posted by: pianodano

Re: Real Strat - Really Good stuff - 09/21/07 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
Musiclabs RealStrat- http://www.musiclab.com/products/realstrat_info.htm

I just got it and all I can say is wow....

At my level of guitar play, I doubt I'll ever be able to make a real guitar sound as good as I can make this thing sound after an hour or so of playing around with it. Every real guitar effect I can think of is there.. Hammer ons, scrapes, mutes, chuck's, etc etc and etc. All I need is a better controller ( thinking bass pedals even might work ) so that I can use all of the functionality in real time and still use both hands to play.

For me, Forget SA SX, Guitar modes, and so on..... All cool tricks to be sure, and they can add a bit of realism to what we play, but this is as good as I've seen it for emulating the real thing, ( I'm thinking Chris Hein guitars and the top end sample sets I've seen ) and as I go back and forth betwen the T2 and this app I realize that the SA guitar voices aren't close at all.

So much for shelving my laptop for live play... Time for me to go get a dedicated controller again and a fancy foot or bass pedal. I've liked my T2 for it's Articulation and Megavoices since the day I bought it, especially the guitars. That said, with RS and it's sister app, Real Guitar, there isn't any way I can go back now...

Now If I can just talk Sergey into making a "RealLesPaul" ... I won't expect it though. It took them a long time and some intense programming to get RS out there, but after using it for a bit, I can understand why....

Regards,

AJ

I am really looking forward to getting it. You probably know that many of us have waited a couple of years for Sergey to get this out.

Do you have RealGuitar also? I have well over $10K in sample libraries and that is the best sample available at any price, imo. You can go to my site and hear it being used for rythym Nashville strums.

It was used (along with Tyros) on Mona Lisa Lost Her Smile.
http://www.danskittlethorp.com/samples.html

Danny

Re: Real Strat - Really Good stuff - 09/21/07 05:25 AM

I do have Real Guitar Danny. After playing with Real Strat I've discovered things about RG that I didn't even realize I could do with it. Yes, we did wait quite a while for this didn't we ? I have no regrets about it though, because Sergey really did get this thing right.

I agree that RG is right at the top in the realm of sampling, and now so is RS. I too have thousands invested in samples and Vst instruments... and for me it's been worth every penny.

This stuff just seems to get better all the time. I had another post here about another top flight app, but it's fading away. Jamstix 2 is to drums what RS and RG are to guitars. I have Addictive Drums and EZ Drummer with a few of the add ons, and while both are good apps, JS 2 is clearly a cut above, even if the default samples aren't. It works well driving the samples from EZD and Addictive.

Regards,

AJ
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Real Strat - Really Good stuff - 09/22/07 05:29 PM

Real Strat just has an awesome sound. I really am impressed.