JUMP button proposed

Posted by: Beakybird

JUMP button proposed - 03/01/07 04:30 AM

While I'm playing my Yamaha PSR3000, I am often looking for the right style for a song. Sometimes I will go from a preset to a file on the flash drive to a file on my Smart Media card, to a style on my USB pen drive.

It would be great to have one button called "JUMP" that could be used to jump back to the previous style. Essentially, you made a mistake, and you want to go back. This could also be useful if you accidentally pressed the wrong registration button and you're into a different style with a different tempo. You could immediately press jump, and be back where you were.

Beakybird
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: JUMP button proposed - 03/01/07 07:05 AM

I'm not near the my keyboard, but doesn't the exit button jump you back 1 screen on Yammies?

Re: JUMP button proposed - 03/01/07 08:11 AM

No. I'm talking about this:

Let's say that you were playing a preset style and then you went into a style on your USB. Pressing the EXIT button won't bring you back to the preset style. You would have to scroll around to find the style that you were playing. What if you couldn't remember which one it was?

A JUMP button would bring you right back to the previous style and tempo. You might even be able to freeze which parameters you would jump back to.

Beakybird
Posted by: MarcK

Re: JUMP button proposed - 03/01/07 08:20 AM

I could see the value in a big red "REVERT TO PREVIOUS STYLE & TEMPO" button. Some of my most embarassing moments performing live have been when I accidentally switched styles.
Posted by: DonM

Re: JUMP button proposed - 03/01/07 12:22 PM

Great idea!
DonM
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: JUMP button proposed - 03/01/07 01:03 PM

Yeah...kinda like an "undo" button. Good idea.

Now let's hope, if they do it, they don't put it on the back or underside of the keyboard...or bury it three pages deep in the "Function" button.

They made switching "TALK" on and off more difficult on the PSR 3K when they hid it in the "voice/harmony" button. Is it that way on the Tyros models to?

Eddie

Eddie
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: JUMP button proposed - 03/01/07 01:11 PM

This seems kinda' like the computer message "Are you sure you really wish to delete this file?" It would be a neat feature, and I know that everyone that has ever hit the wrong button, me included, wish that a Go Back button was right there where we could hit it and instantly return to what we were doing.

Good post,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: Diki

Re: JUMP button proposed - 03/01/07 02:14 PM

That's a cool idea, Beaky....

However, if you make a registration (or UPG) for each style, rather than calling it up from the style section, if you then go from that style off to a different one using the same registration, you can always 'undo' simply by hitting the registration button again, thus reloading the style.

This will only work for one style change at a time, you can't go A>B>C>B styles, just A>B>C>A, but it's still better than nothing!

Re: JUMP button proposed - 03/01/07 05:34 PM

Registration memory doesn't do the trick.

If you are trying to find an appropriate style for a new song that you are doing, then you aren't going to have anything about the style stored in registration memory.

Beakybird
Posted by: Diki

Re: JUMP button proposed - 03/01/07 06:41 PM

I'm assuming that for the FIRST song you play (of the medley) you already have a registration, either for the style, or for the song..... Then, during the song (or at the end!) you select another style to go and segue to the next.

Now, if what you select doesn't work, you re-hit the registration button, and the first style (attached to the registration) reloads. You then search for another style. As I said, this only works on two styles at a time, but it DOES work....

I guess, for gigging, I tend to make sure all the styles I tend to use all sit in the same area of memory, so I don't have to push a lot of buttons to get around. My method is to use the Internal memory ONLY for stuff I use on the gig. All other styles and songs I am either trying out or tweaking but not finished, they stay on a card, until they are gig-ready, THEN get transfered to internal...
Posted by: abacus

Re: JUMP button proposed - 03/01/07 11:16 PM

On My Wersi Abacus I can load up to 9 styles per registration preset as well as the original style, (Style is generic it could a video, wav, midi etc) and as its most unlikely that you will require the full 9 different styles for a song, there will always be some spare that you can add to if required. (If you do start to run out just copy the registration to an additional preset You have thousands of user presets to which you can assign registrations) and you’re good to go for another 9 styles. (Don’t forget to lock or unlock the tempo when saving)
In addition to the above , you can also assign the mappings to a preset, which gives you 5 more levels per preset, (All styles selectable with no more then 2 presses of the screen, and 9 styles are directly selectable from the screen on each level) giving 45 + 9 styles available with max 2 presses.
Another way to do things

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 03-01-2007).]

Re: JUMP button proposed - 03/02/07 03:42 AM

I use registrations that call up styles during gigging too. They are always mostly associated with an intro or a certain style part. When they are associated with a style, they are almost always associated with a transposition.

So if I have moved the transposition manually during the song and I'm on a different style part, I am kind of lost by hitting the registration button again. In the case that you are discussing, a jump button would be far superior, because it would bring you back to the previous style with the correct part and the correct transpostion.

Beakybird
Posted by: abacus

Re: JUMP button proposed - 03/02/07 05:20 AM

I see your point on the registration button, but if you have both the current style and the previous style directly in front of you, (Up to 9 in the case of the Abacus) then you can change back to the previous style (Just one button push on the screen) without changing anything else.
Also with 2 button presses onscreen you have direct access to 45 more styles which can be selected without changing anything else. (Just 2 presses to get back to your previous style)
I do however see how a back (Jump) button would be very convenient, and I will suggest it to Wersi, as if enough owners also suggest it I am sure Wersi will incorporate it in one of the regular updates. (A lot of new features or modifications (Many are just small ones) etc in the updates have usually been suggested by Wersi owners)
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill