Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation?

Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 02/19/06 11:42 AM

I haven't recorded a song on psr2000 in quite awhile... so I dunno. But I have done this twice to make sure the first time was not a fluke. I am using the Quick Record method to record what I play. And it does that. But in the song, I modulate 1/2 step up by pressing the Transpose button on the fly. But the recording does not step it up. Is this the way it is or something I'm missing?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000
Posted by: Michael P. Bedesem

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 02/19/06 01:56 PM

Bill:

Go to Function/ Controller/ Keyboard Settings/Transpose and set it to keyboard. I think this will function as you expect.

If not, let me know at mpb@sover.net .

Regards,

Michael

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 02/20/06 03:07 AM

Thanks, Michael! It worked! I never would have figured that one out and heck, that's pretty important!

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 02/20/06 03:14 AM

BTW, only problem with this... it is apparently remembering exactly which notes are played, pitch being absolute and unchangable? Meaning... if I record in key of C but later decide I need to sing it in B, no dice? It can't be changed? The recording plays from the recorded key, independent of the Transpose button's setting?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000
Posted by: Michael P. Bedesem

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 02/20/06 12:09 PM

Bill:

Look at the discussion of Transpose in the manual, page 141. There is a lot you can do to adjust the key for a recorded midi.

Regards,

Michael

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 02/20/06 12:40 PM

Okay, I am away from home a few days but when I get there, I will look it up.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000
Posted by: MrEd

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 02/20/06 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael P. Bedesem:
Bill:
Go to Function/ Controller/ Keyboard Settings/Transpose and set it to keyboard. I think this will function as you expect.

If not, let me know at mpb@sover.net .

Regards,

Michael

Michael, Thanks!
I had the same problem on my psr3000 that Bill had.

Bill, we are in the company of fine coaching here.

But i know that day is going to come, where i will have to resort to reading that manual

[This message has been edited by MrEd (edited 02-20-2006).]
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 02/21/06 04:56 AM

Bill and Michael,

Press the Direct Access button, then press the transpose button and you will see the transpose menu. Now select song and transpose the midi file only, or if you select Master, you can transpose the entire keyboard along with the midi file.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/20/06 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Press the Direct Access button, then press the transpose button and you will see the transpose menu. Now select song and transpose the midi file only, or if you select Master, you can transpose the entire keyboard along with the midi file.

I am confused. TODAY, I am simply trying to change the beginning key of a midi. I thought it was working but it isn't. I went into Mixing Console and did all three choices, Master, Song and Keyboard. I finally decided that "Song" is the correct choice. Well, after I saved the song, that worked, BUT, apparently, it transposes EVERY MIDI thereafter? That doesn't make sense to me. I just want to transpose this particular midi.

EDIT: It is "remembering" that I transposed "song" +2 and applying that to midi's I play after the one I thought I was editing.

Regarding Direct Access button, if I press it and then Left Transpose button, it opens up Controller menu. Conversely, if I press Direct Access and then Right Transpose button, it opens up Mixing Console menu.

I just want to change the beginning key for midi and I have a ton of them to do, so, I need this.

I also need to change tempo but I can't see a screen for that.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

[This message has been edited by SemiLiveMusic (edited 11-20-2006).]
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/20/06 09:00 AM

I realize this doesn't help, but this is SOOOO easy to do on a kn6000 ... with technics no longer in the kb business, at some point I will probably have to get something else ... Is this easily accomplished on the Ty 2 ??? ...
thnx,
t.

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/20/06 10:07 AM

Bill,

If you want to make the changes permanent within the midi file, this will have to be done using the keyboard's onboard Digital Recording/Song Creator program. It's very easy to use, and if you go to the PSR-Tutorial site and click on the Lessons Tab you'll find detailed instructions. You can also use any midi recording software and accomplish the same task with a few mouse clicks.

Tony,

It's just as easy to do this on the PSR-2000, 3000, Tyros and Tyros2 as it was on your Technics. I have walked dozens of individuals through the process on both the Yamaha and Technics boards, but alas,I sold my KN5000 about a week after the PSR-740 became available. So, when are you going to buy a T2?

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/20/06 10:54 AM

Quote:
Bill, If you want to make the changes permanent within the midi file, this will have to be done using the keyboard's onboard Digital Recording/Song Creator program. It's very easy to use, and if you go to the PSR-Tutorial site and click on the Lessons Tab you'll find detailed instructions. You can also use any midi recording software and accomplish the same task with a few mouse clicks.

Thanks, looks like I got it to work. BUT... I think there is an error on this psrtutorial page . Between #6 and 7, it should say "press EXECUTE." I saved my changes four times and it never worked, I went back and did the EXECUTE first and it worked. I think. Now, if I can only change the overall tempo, that'll help. Like, I found a George Strait midi recently that is way too slow.

EDIT: No, it's not working right. It worked, then it didn't work. I deleted and started over. Now, it seems to have worked to change the key +2 but... I wanted to mute trks 3, 4, 5. I couldn't find how to do that other than reducing volume to "0" in Mixing Console. I saved it. But now, it is still playing those tracks. I did it several times, I'm doing something wrong or something is goofed up. I save the volume changes and it works... then I load another midi, and then load the song I am working on and NOoooooooooooooo... the volume changes are not there. It's back to the original setting. And yes, I am saving the file. This damn thing will drive you crazy.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Posted by: jwyvern

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/20/06 01:39 PM

Bill
If the PSR2000 works like Tyros, when you go to the Song Creator page and highlight the Channel TAB you'll see there's an option to Delete (just below Quantize). Highlight it and the bott of screen shows all your channels. If you press the appropriate number buttons, Delete labels appear. When satisfied press Execute then Save.
John

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/21/06 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jwyvern:
Bill
If the PSR2000 works like Tyros, when you go to the Song Creator page and highlight the Channel TAB you'll see there's an option to Delete (just below Quantize). Highlight it and the bott of screen shows all your channels. If you press the appropriate number buttons, Delete labels appear. When satisfied press Execute then Save.
John

Yep, John, the psr2000 is the same way. Thanks, I'll use that if I have to. BUT... what if I just want to reduce the volume?

Okay, I just tried the DELETE track method you described and it looks like it worked.

However, if I could figure out how to reduce volume to zero (and get the Save feature to work!), that might be better. Because if I ever wanted to use those tracks, I could. For instance, if I have a fiddler, I want those tracks muted but if I don't, I might want the fiddle tracks to play.

One could ask why don't I just mute the tracks before I begin the song at the gig. That's what I have been doing but I am trying to reduce dead time between songs.

At least, now, I think I have it Deleting tracks correctly and changing the key of the song. That helps a lot! Now, I wonder if can change the overall Song VOLUME of a midi? Sometimes midi's are way too loud compared to others.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/21/06 06:17 AM

Quote:

Tony,

So, when are you going to buy a T2?

Good Luck,

Gary

Gary ... nothing imminent ... depends on the kn6000 and how the future goes ... with retirement from the 'day job' coming in the Spring, I am sure I will have more time to learn even more about the kn6 ...
... BUT, we never know ...
t.
Posted by: jwyvern

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/21/06 07:07 AM

Quoting Bill: "Now, I wonder if can change the overall Song VOLUME of a midi? Sometimes midi's are way too loud compared to others."

Remembering this is Ty2:Pressing Balance gives you control over volumes for all parts including the Song. The level you set seems to stay put regardless of changing Songs (and I guess it should stay as long as you don't press any Registration buttons that were saved with "Song" ticked in the memory box).
Instead of remembering to manually change the setting when songtime comes up, another way would be to save all your songs to Registrations along with their appropriate Balance settings built in.

John
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/21/06 08:08 AM

You guys have to stop being spoon fed..read the manuals, or visit Gary for the weekend.. All of what you want to do , can be done on the PSR's...could they have been designed better..of course..

Gee, I am glad I still play a Roland
Posted by: DonM

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/21/06 08:50 AM

Fran, Bill HAS read the manual and seems to be following it. The Yamaha manual doesn't go very deep.
I recall saving a transposed song very easily on the 2000. As I remember, you just open the song, transpose the song on the keyboard. open the Song Creator, then save. Not sure if that's the correct order though.
Bill, I have an appointment or two, but after that if you haven't figured it out, maybe you can bring it by and I'll have a shot at it. Sometimes two heads are better than one.
DonM

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/21/06 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Fran, Bill HAS read the manual and seems to be following it. The Yamaha manual doesn't go very deep.
I recall saving a transposed song very easily on the 2000. As I remember, you just open the song, transpose the song on the keyboard. open the Song Creator, then save. Not sure if that's the correct order though.
Bill, I have an appointment or two, but after that if you haven't figured it out, maybe you can bring it by and I'll have a shot at it. Sometimes two heads are better than one.
DonM

Don, I did it as we talked about. Again, didn't work. I did it in every conceivable way. I do have it working but the only way I can make it work is by transposing each track. Doesn't seem very efficient.

I'm glad you told me not to transpose a drum track. I guess the only way to figure out where drums are, for sure, is listen to each track. Usually, 9 or 10 but seems like sometimes, they are elsewhere.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/21/06 01:09 PM

Bill,

I'll call you later tonight and walk you through the process. I just did the same thing with a Tyros owner, and I have done this with lots of other keyboard owners as well. Really not much to it, but the sequence of events has to be correct.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/21/06 06:20 PM

Problem solved!

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: DonM

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/21/06 06:26 PM

Please explain how you did it!
Thanks,
DonM

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/22/06 06:15 AM

1. Open (load) the midi file.

2. Press Digital Recording, then select Song Creator.

3. Tab to Channel, then using the "B" button scroll down to Setup.

4. Press the Mixing Console button repeatedly until the midi channels are displayed at the bottom of the screen.

5. Set the volume sliders on the appropriate channels to the desired level, or to zero if you want no sound at all.

6. Press Exit once to return to the Song Creator screen. Press Execute, then press Save.

7. When the screen song title screen appears, provide the midi file with a new song title--just to be on the safe side, then press the bottom of the #6 button to save the selection.

You can also change the overall volume of the midi file using the same procedure, but this must be done one channel at a time. If the Execute button is not highlighted, tab to Chord, then tab back to channel and it should be highlighted.

I was hoping to change the overall volume using the same technique, but the volume did not save. For this, however, you can use Michael Bedesem's MIDI Player, which does an excellent job and the program is free at http://www.svpworld.com/beta/ You must download the full version first, then download the 703 update.

For transposing, you can do this one channel at a time, making sure not to transpose the drum channel(s), press Execute, then save using the same process.

Transposing can also be done using Heiko Plate's PSR-UTILITY program, which is available at www.heikoplate.de .

To change the tempo of the midi file, merely press the play button while in Song Creator, then adjust the tempo using the normal tempo button. Stop the song, then press Execute and go through the same saving process.

That's all there is to it.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 11-22-2006).]
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/22/06 06:41 AM

Gary, like I said...they could have designed a better method

Re: Does a Yam psr2000 NOT record a modulation? - 11/22/06 11:31 AM

Yep! I agree. Now you know why I get the big bucks.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy