Roland G-70 review..A+

Posted by: Fran Carango

Roland G-70 review..A+ - 05/14/05 05:33 AM

http://www.keyboardmag.com/story.asp?sectioncode=30&storycode=8224
Posted by: Frank L. Rosenthal

Re: Roland G-70 review..A+ - 05/14/05 06:06 AM

Oh, Oh, Oh.....Fran may be slipping away from his G1000.....drifting into a new era....it may even be beyond his control....
Posted by: Alex K

Re: Roland G-70 review..A+ - 05/15/05 12:37 AM

Fran,

This sounds like a completely objective, unbiased review, not at all written in a manner of licking Rolands a**!

I especially liked the line of the review which says that "$5000 is not too much considering the market it is aimed at".
I guess they aimed it at the market of gullible suckers

What are your experiences with the G70?

I would love to share my opinions of the G70 with the fellow members here, but, alas, I was not able to find one in the stores anywhere in the area. An authorized dealer here did quote me a discounted price of $5000, which includes two speakers and a stand (which I don't need). He also told me that there was not a dealer in the US who has them for sale (I hope you are reading this, George), because there is a supply problem. So much for keeping honest in the relationship with the loyal customers.

If they keep it up, I will swallow my pride a buy a Korg which may be lacking in some of the features, but would cost a lot less (and is available at my local Guitar Center).

Best regards,
Alex
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: Roland G-70 review..A+ - 05/15/05 12:49 AM

I too, reading the review, was left with the impression that the reviewer was "a little" biased towards Roland. I was especially struck by the following sentence:

“Set List” puts eight Programs at a time on the big screen, and reveals useful link functions: You can load a linked song into the 16-track sequencer, and/or a controller set for how the G talks to external MIDI gear.

This sentence had me thinking that one could use the G 70 as a master keyboard to control "external MIDI gear", but unfortunately this is not the case, because -as o3bor stated-

"G-70, at user program change, sends the bank and program changes of the sounds assigned to its internal parts; if they match (or are compatible) with your external module messages, you can control it changing user programs.
You cannot define your own bank and program change and save them into a user program; this is a typical master keyboard function that goes beyond the G-70 capabilities".

So, I am now left wondering: where does the truth lie?

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 05-15-2005).]

Re: Roland G-70 review..A+ - 05/15/05 12:58 AM

By the way, speaking of the G 70, I enjoyed the MP3s posted on the site pointed out by our french friend BBC, so I would really love to hear more songs recorded by G 70 owners.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Roland G-70 review..A+ - 05/15/05 07:31 AM

Dreamer, what I do with my G1000, when used as a midi controller[a good one too]...I assign the parts that I want to use as my transmit channels..The G1000 has two midi outs that any parts[realtime ] and song parts [can be reassigned]..another method I do, is route the realtime part I don't want to hear, to a seperate out[not cabled to the mixer].
This is one of the capabilities I am concerned I may lose with the G70[Alex, I also have not played a G70]..

You can save a group of midi set ups that can be brought up seperate from the Performances[on the G1000 and probably the same with the G70]...most of my controller set ups reside in my User Performances[as an example my Native Instruments B4]..], I still have all the arranger features, color sounds from the G and the B4 at the touch of a button[192 on board selections, too]..
Time will tell if the G70 will/can replace my G1000...I'm sure I'll have a G70 soon[but may not replace my G1000]..
BTW, do you know that the G1000 can transmit 7 channels across the keyboard, with just a push of two buttons together..Realtime parts without reassigning channels.

Re: Roland G-70 review..A+ - 05/15/05 07:54 AM

Fran, just to give you an example, the G 70 has only one midi out...
Posted by: George Kaye

Re: Roland G-70 review..A+ - 05/15/05 08:23 AM

Alex,
In all fairness to that G70 dealer, there has been a shortage of G70s he past month. Roland had been out until a new shipment arrived late last week. I just received notice that I would only be shipped 2 G70's this next week, not the 6 I had ordered. They are trying to get some to all the dealers that need them.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
Posted by: JCkeeys

Re: Roland G-70 review..A+ - 05/16/05 02:26 PM

The G70 may not be all things to all people but(I had the SD1 and the PA1xpro)IMO is the arranger to beat right now!
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Roland G-70 review..A+ - 05/17/05 05:23 AM

JCKeys,

Are you saying you like the G70 over the Ketron SD1Plus?

Al
Posted by: john smies

Re: Roland G-70 review..A+ - 05/17/05 08:47 AM

Personally I am puzzled why ANYONE would prefer the Ketron or the Roland G70 over the KORG PA1X, but then again there's no accounting for tastes.
I know Don loves his SD1 and Roel used to love it, until he "betrayed the love of his life"and leapt to the Yamaha Tyros ,using the Korg and the G70 as mere stepping stones.
Still, I have played most of these boards, though not owned them, and can understand people's fascination with most of these boards as they cater for different tastes, but I remain puzzled by the attraction of the G-70, but then again I have not yet heard any worthwhile stuff coming from this board other than the factory presets and default, which don't impress me at all.

[This message has been edited by john smies (edited 05-17-2005).]
Posted by: ironhill

Re: Roland G-70 review..A+ - 05/17/05 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by john smies:
I remain puzzled by the attraction of the G-70, but then again I have not yet heard any worthwhile stuff coming from this board other than the factory presets and default, which don't impress me at all.

[This message has been edited by john smies (edited 05-17-2005).]

Hi John,
what shall we do to get your satisfaction?
Hanspeter, G-70 & Tyros user.
Posted by: DonM

Re: Roland G-70 review..A+ - 05/17/05 12:12 PM

I do like the SD1. I haven't heard or tried the Korg because, 1: It's too heavy. 2: I can't see one anywhere close. 3: It's too heavy.
DonM
Posted by: BlkNotes

Re: Roland G-70 review..A+ - 05/17/05 02:13 PM

Dear John;

All these top model aranger keyborads are very similar and are really not that different. Each keyboard has its pros & cons. They are ultimately chosen by consumers based on personal preference. Remember, one man's barn is another man's castle. So, to say one Kb is superior to another can't be the case. One has to take into account the frame of reference and ask the next question, superior for which player and why.

Regards;
BN
Posted by: JCkeeys

Re: Roland G-70 review..A+ - 05/17/05 07:16 PM

Kbrkr...I did not own the SD1plus but the SD1 ( but I had all the styles and sounds from the +) The key words here are "I Like" the G70 better than the Sd1 and the Pa1xpro. I did not say it was better than the afore mentioned KB's. The styles and sounds I prefer "float my boat" better on the G70 then the others. Jazz, Bossa/Latin and the 8 & 16 beat. Piano, Organ, Sax, Trumpet, in fact to my ears all the sounds (except the drums SD1 ...I will give the edge)
The G70 is a "VERY POLISHED" arranger. The 1.10 upgrade makes a big difference but still some of the sounds have TOO MUCH reverb, need to spend a little time to adjust and let the natural sound shine!!