Difficilt to put Lyrics into a SMF w/Cakewalk 6 pro.. Or?

Posted by: Dnj

Difficilt to put Lyrics into a SMF w/Cakewalk 6 pro.. Or? - 09/10/01 08:03 AM

Hi,

What is the best way to insert lyrics into a SMF song so it will readout on the KB screen to the music. Is Cakewalk6 pro the best program or are there Better ones available to achieve this..
Posted by: Vic01

Re: Difficilt to put Lyrics into a SMF w/Cakewalk 6 pro.. Or? - 09/10/01 08:33 AM

I'm not sure if Cakewalk is the best program for entering lyrics. I have used it and basically you need to have or create a "vocal melody track". You can then assign lyrics to the melody notes. The melody must be as accurate as possible to permit the lyrics to display properly. Here's the explanation from the Cakewalk web site.

Entering Lyrics From the Staff View

Cakewalk has the ability to add lyrics directly to the Staff View. To do so, select the Pencil tool and move the cursor underneath the lowest note on the staff. Continue to move the cursor down until the pencil appears with a capital "T" next to it; then click. If the cursor is properly positioned under the note, you will see an insertion box. If not, another note will be added (simply use the Undo feature to delete the unwanted note).

After typing each word, press SPACEBAR to advance the editing bar to the next associated note. Use hyphens to separate a word by syllables. Each syllable will be aligned with a single note in that track.

Editing Lyrics

If you change your mind or misspell a word, simply click on the word to be changed. The editing box reappears around that word, the word is highlighted, and you can change or edit it as you please. You can use the Erase tool to delete lyrics as well as notes.

You can use the TAB key to select the next word, or SHIFT+TAB to select the previous word.

Hope this helps, Vic

Re: Difficilt to put Lyrics into a SMF w/Cakewalk 6 pro.. Or? - 09/10/01 08:45 AM

Thanx Vic,

Is there better program to insert lyrics to make it easier?

donny nj
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Difficilt to put Lyrics into a SMF w/Cakewalk 6 pro.. Or? - 09/10/01 09:32 AM

Hi,
I'm not sure if this is any good answer, but
it is possible to download a trial to try out here: http://www.bck.co.uk/htm/midicon2.html

GJ
Posted by: Vic01

Re: Difficilt to put Lyrics into a SMF w/Cakewalk 6 pro.. Or? - 09/10/01 10:04 AM

Lyrics must follow notes in a midi track. This track is set aside in the midi song to be a "lyric track". I'm not aware of a program that is dedicated to handling this chore alone. Perhaps someone else is. There are dedicated notation packages like Encore and Finale that might be easier than using Cakewalk. While Cakewalk in a decent sequencer, lyrics and notation and not one of its strong suites. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Re: Difficilt to put Lyrics into a SMF w/Cakewalk 6 pro.. Or? - 09/10/01 10:31 AM

Thanx Vic and Gunnar,

Lets hope someone can enlighten us on this topic. I would think many musicians would like to do this but don't know how or want to try it. Its a feature we have in our arranger KB's to read lyrics while playing so why not take advantage of it?

hoping for an answer

donny nj
Posted by: Nikon

Re: Difficilt to put Lyrics into a SMF w/Cakewalk 6 pro.. Or? - 09/10/01 11:21 AM

Hi DNJ.
I used Cakewalk program to created all my KeyboardKaraoke files I call this SMF that name
It very simple 123 done.
First: I used channel 4 for melody (It work better on Roland,and Yamaha made and Ketron SD1 too)
Than I click on mouse ritebutton on channel4 or you can hightlite the channel4 than go to track than click on Lyrics. it will popup the lyrics window then just type lyrics or you can copy lyric from MSOffice than just paste it in to this window. Any word with more than 2 note you just space split that word to 2 or 3 ect.
Any ways when ever you go to AC stop by my house to check out the SD1. I don't have time go to Strapcrape where Uncle Dave perfom
or email me i'll explain clearer .
PeterH
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Difficilt to put Lyrics into a SMF w/Cakewalk 6 pro.. Or? - 09/10/01 12:11 PM

Hi Donny:

There are many karaoke software programs (shareware) available on the internet which allow you to easily 'embed' lyrics into both midi and kar files. The important word is the ability to 'embed' the lyrics into a midi file. This also includes the ability to edit lyrics as well.

Checkout "Karaoke System":
http://www.team2000-al.com/mdrsoftware/karaoke/karaoke_en.htm

I have never used this software program myself (I'm one of the anti Karaoke guys here, remember? ) , but this is the software used by German Midi Magazine "Midi Hits" and Italian Midi Magazine "Midi Songs" to insert lyrics into their commercial professional midi files. - Scott

The following is yet another karaoke program which supports embedding lyrics into midi files. I found it via the Google search engine:

"Gassman Karaoke Editor": http://gasman.future.easyspace.com/Information.htm

Re: Difficilt to put Lyrics into a SMF w/Cakewalk 6 pro.. Or? - 09/10/01 02:25 PM

Scott thanx for the info,

Are many people here using the embedded lyrics on their KB's?
donny
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: Difficilt to put Lyrics into a SMF w/Cakewalk 6 pro.. Or? - 09/10/01 02:35 PM

An added note:
I have experimented (in the past) with adding the chords (as well as lyrics) into midi files. This is a cool way to have the correct chords pop up on the keyboard's screen, when you are 'playing along' on the keyboard, with a standard midi file. Kind of like a built in lyrics and chord chart inside your keyboard. Beyond my initial tests peformed which confirms that this all does work, I never seriously took to task the job of embedding chords and lyrics to all my standard midi files.
Posted by: DonM

Re: Difficilt to put Lyrics into a SMF w/Cakewalk 6 pro.. Or? - 09/10/01 07:50 PM

Donny, Powertracks Pro, which you already have, does this pretty easily. You may have to upgrade since I'm not sure which version you have, but it's really inexpensive.
DonM

Re: Difficilt to put Lyrics into a SMF w/Cakewalk 6 pro.. Or? - 09/10/01 09:53 PM

Thanx everyone for the help. Problem solved. I got a version of Cakewalk 6, and self taught myself how to put lyrics into the SMF songs tonight. Its pretty easy, although Time Consuming to get it right.