My last idea to use the laptop

Posted by: STAM

My last idea to use the laptop - 12/30/05 12:50 AM

Do you think that it is possible to use a sondcard (for in and out) with a laptop (for mixer and DSP effects) to play live?
What about the quality of mic preamps in the soundcards (Terratec Phase 88 for example)?
Thanks
Stam

Re: My last idea to use the laptop - 12/30/05 12:53 AM

I forgot to say that I don't want to play softsynths but just to plug 2 keyboards and 1 microphone in the soundcard and have the mix ready inside the laptop.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: My last idea to use the laptop - 12/30/05 04:37 AM

It is possible, but not practical..

Why not use a small mixer like an Alesis Multimix 6 FX[6 channels with effects]..Under $100.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: My last idea to use the laptop - 12/30/05 04:58 AM

Ditto!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: My last idea to use the laptop - 12/30/05 05:08 AM

I'll second ... or I guess 'third' that ... great little mixer ... and for me its primary use is going into the PC ...
t.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: My last idea to use the laptop - 12/30/05 05:53 AM

Killer handy lil mixer for the price, I love mine when I use it for certain situations.

Re: My last idea to use the laptop - 12/30/05 08:17 AM

Thanks,
I have a soundcraft M8, which sounds good but it is big and heavy.
I am tempted to try one of these small alesis or behringer but I'm afraid to loose in sound quality, especially on the microphone. But for the price, I will give them a try.
Stam

Re: My last idea to use the laptop - 12/30/05 09:57 AM

The Alesis is the one to get..it sounds good and it is quiet..

My main mixer is a Mackie CFX12, but for my smaller jobs I grab the Alesis..I also record with the Alesis into the laptop..
Posted by: cwalkeralso

Re: My last idea to use the laptop - 12/30/05 11:22 AM

I have been extremely happy with my Behringer Eurorack MX 602A mixer. I've used it for five years. It is sturdily built, intelligently designed with flexibility in mind, and lives up to its purported "ultra low noise" performance. (For one thing, the pots are well-sealed from any exposure to dust.) I will say, though, that if I were making such a purchase now, I would definitely opt for the eight channel version at a minimum.

Charles

Re: My last idea to use the laptop - 12/30/05 05:46 PM

Charles, more channels are nice, but I elected to go for 6 channels because of the small footprint..It sits on my favorite keyboard without hindering any of the controls..