EMC Styleworks

Posted by: George Shaw

EMC Styleworks - 11/20/02 08:00 AM

I have many disks left over from my Technics KN 2000 Keyboard. Having recently purchased a Yamaha PSR2000 Keyboard I am now looking for a conversion system which will allow me to play the KN disks on the Yamaha. I have heard that the EMC Styleworks system would be suitable. Do you know if any of our members have used this system and if it is reliable? Also a Source Of supply and cost would be helpful.Thank you.George Shaw
Posted by: Scottyee

Re: EMC Styleworks - 11/20/02 08:16 AM

Hi George,

I own EMC Styleworks Universal and find it useful. Converted most of my custom Technics KN styles to PSR2000 with good results.

Order from :

Fran Carango, US distsributor
francarango@nni.com

btw: checkout Joe Water's terrific PSR2000 site which also includes many 'converted to PSR2000' styles as well:
http://pages.prodigy.net/watersj/Yamaha2K/index.html

Scott
Posted by: trtjazz

Re: EMC Styleworks - 11/20/02 08:17 AM

Here's another link with a downloadable trial version. http://www.stylediskwarehouse.com/styleworks.htm
Terry
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: EMC Styleworks - 11/20/02 08:44 AM

George. EMC Converts styles reasonably well, but be prepared to do a lot of tweaking.

Graham UK
Posted by: wizboy

Re: EMC Styleworks - 11/20/02 09:04 AM

Does EMC Styleworks Universal work well with Windows XP ? The last version I've downloaded for trial a while ago seemed to give me compatibility problems.

Claude

Re: EMC Styleworks - 11/20/02 09:19 AM

Hi Claude:

EMC Styleworks Universal is working fine on Windows XP for me. - Scott
Posted by: Scott Langholff

Re: EMC Styleworks - 11/20/02 10:57 AM

Hello

I hope you try a demo out first because I can tell you most of the Technics styles (among others) sound very bad on the PSR2000. A lot of clashing sounds. If you play for example a G7 chord it sounds like a lot of dischord. Example I know on some of my conversions if you play any 7th chord, say G7 it will play C# and D at the same time. If there is a way to get rid of this I would like to know, especially if it is realitively quick and simple, but from my experiece and reading other posts I don't think it can be done.

Scott Langholff

Re: EMC Styleworks - 11/20/02 11:00 AM

Hi again!

If you want a good example go to Yahoo PSR style forum, and download the Technics conversions. There are some there from the KN1000,3000, and 5000. They are basically unusable.

Scott
Posted by: wizboy

Re: EMC Styleworks - 11/20/02 11:12 AM

Thanks for the feedback Scott.
I guess I'll have to get the latest version then.

Claude

Re: EMC Styleworks - 11/20/02 11:21 AM

Hi ScottL: I'm aware of what you're referring to. Part of the reason the converted styles on the Yahoo forum are un-usuable is because (to be frank) the original source KN files themselves were bad or they were badly converted. There are several EMC software conversion parameter ajustments that could have been made which would have yielded a better result. I converted many of the same KN styles myself directly from my KN5000 keyboard to PSR2000 format, and the results were good, no 'clashing sounds'. Anyway, I was able to side step problems on the few styles I had conversion problems with by eliminating specific instrument parts. I find the best KN styles to be the jazz swing (better than Yamaha's PSR2000 jazz swing patterns), and the important key parts (drum patterns & bass lines) convert to PSR format without any problems. - Scott
Posted by: dlstarry

Re: EMC Styleworks - 11/20/02 01:34 PM

HI: ScottL I got the KN5000 Styles from the PSR Styles Group &
use a lot of them on my 9000 PRO, & they work good.
True it took a lot of tweaking & revoicing but to me it was worth it.
There might be some that a person wouldn't be able to get right but
I haven't run into any yet, the ones I use most is the Country,
Rock&Roll, Big Band, Blues.
Denny

Re: EMC Styleworks - 11/20/02 04:43 PM

Hello

Well, this is some good news if things are better than what I've downloaded. I almost stopped doing this because it just got too frustrating. So maybe I should consider EMC. I know there is some freeware out there too. Sounds like it might be a little more work, but I don't know for sure. I do know I'd love to get some Technics and Solton swing, jazz and big band that sound good..BTW over on the Tyros Yahoo site a fellow by the name of Antonio I think is converting some Solton SD1 styles. I tried them on my PSR2000 last night and these are some of the best conversions I have heard yet. Tom G. and I are trying to persuade him to do jazz, swing and big band.

On the other hand, maybe instead of getting EMC, maybe we should have a kind of swap club between us with a more discerning ear???? I do know eventually I want the KorgPA80 styles. I like all of them but especially want guess what?...jazz, swing and big band.

Another trick I have done on the PSR2000 was to take the big band styles and eliminate the horn sections. I then find the best intro and outro variation and I easily have a very good generic style I can use for almost anything. I save these in my user styles. I can play the fast ones slow and vice versa. I also like jumping from one of my altered "combo" styles to another. This makes it sound as live as you can get. And then for added excitement, on a tune that builds and I get inspired to go "kick ass" I then switch to one of the original styles to add the horns. Sometimes adding Multi-pad riffs kind of like Basie would do. I remember the first time I did this live, almost everyone was on the dance floor dancing and watching me (I don't even sing) and they were all smiling and had a look like how is he doing that. Just a fun idea I had.

Scott Langholff