My Intel iMac Runs XP & OSX!!!

Posted by: ocomain

My Intel iMac Runs XP & OSX!!! - 03/26/06 12:05 PM

I purchased a 20" Intel Mac in late January with the optimistic expectation that I would be able to run Windows XP and Apple's OSX music and audio applications on the same machine. Well, my hope has now become reality! Several days ago I wiped my Mac's hard drive, created 2 partitions, and installed XP on one of them (go to Onmac.net for full instructions on how to do this...and use the bootloader program...will save tons of time!). At start-up I can now choose to boot into OSX or XP, and it works like a dream!

I have installed Sound Forge 8, Cubase SX3, Guitar Tracks Pro 3, Style Works 2000, Chicken Systems Translator, many DirectX and VST plugins and instruments...and everythings works just as well as on my Pentium 4 HP notebook but even better...much, much faster because the Intel iMac has a dual-core processor, more memory (2GB), and faster hard drive. Using an application called MacDrive, I can see the drives on my Mac partition and transfer files back and forth between the 2 different operating systems.

I am using the Edirol M-100FX mixer\USB audio interface, which has drivers for both XP and the Intel Mac and the sound is awesome on both systems. Currently, the XP audio drivers for the Intel Mac only output thru the headphone outs and not the speakers but this doesn't impact me because I'm using the Edirol which has a digital output to powered Edirol monitors, or to my regular analog amp\monitor setup.

The XP display resolution is currently fixed at 1680 x 1050 pixels but the ATI drivers should be sorted out soon to allow even full speed gaming using 3d acceleration. Wireless, Ethernet, DVD drive, keyboard, mouse, USB...all work perfectly. Boot time is fast, shutdown works fine...restarting doesn't work yet...I have to hold the power button for 5 seconds until it shuts down, then immediately turn back on...really no problem.

A real kick is that I installed FlyakiteOSX, which turns the XP interface into one nearly identical with Apple's Aqua on OSX! In my opinion, the OSX interface is prettier but I actually prefer the ease of navigating and working with files on XP. Now I can switch back and forth between the 2 setups which now share a common interface...nice! I definitely have installed anti-virus and anti-spyware software, as well as a firewall on my XP partition (and they have already been tested big-time!). I am still awaiting Intel Mac drivers for my M-Audio USB MIDI interface, as well as USB MIDI drivers for my Roland Fantoms (S & X)...but they work fine in my XP partition.

To anybody wanting to run Mac and Windows audio applications on one computer without a performance hit, it really now is possible. The rumour mill has it that Apple will be announcing their own virtualization solution next month but this could all be an April Fool's joke...we shall see!

Michael
Posted by: Musicman22

Re: My Intel iMac Runs XP & OSX!!! - 03/26/06 01:31 PM

Michael

That's fantastic news.
Just two weeks ago I bought the same one you did only with the 15" screen. It's a great machine. I love it.
I'm glad to hear you did what you did with the two systems running on the Mac. This is gonna save me alot of time.
Would it be alright to email you if I have any question?
Thanks

Peter

[This message has been edited by Musicman22 (edited 03-26-2006).]
Posted by: ocomain

Re: My Intel iMac Runs XP & OSX!!! - 03/26/06 01:43 PM

Peter, you bet! It is really exciting to be running audio appz from XP & OSX all on one great piece of hardware. I think it keeps things much simpler and makes for a much better workflow.

Talk soon!

Michael
Posted by: trident

Re: My Intel iMac Runs XP & OSX!!! - 03/27/06 01:35 AM

If this is the same 20" screen i have seen in some stores, then it looks like a dream, absolutely brilliant.

Congratulations Michael, seems that you have the best of both worlds. Isn't technology fascinating?
Posted by: Route 66

Re: My Intel iMac Runs XP & OSX!!! - 03/27/06 01:59 PM

There have been reports in the internet of people installing both OS X (probably hacks of versions 10.4.1 & 10.4.3 for Intel) and Windows XP on a Intel PC. OSX is a unix based OS, just like Linux.

An alternative to booting Unix/Windows via a bootloader is running a piece of software (like www.vmware.com ) that allows you to run BOTH OS(s) simultaneously (one of the operating systems is the host, the other is the guest). For this you need a considerable amount of RAM.

-- José.
Posted by: Alex K

Re: My Intel iMac Runs XP & OSX!!! - 03/27/06 03:57 PM

Jose,

I use MS VirtualPC extensively, and when it comes to software only, it works great. However, I don't know how well it interacts with the hardware, e.g. USB or PCI-based sound cards. And you are correct, to run that you need a lot of RAM.

Regards,
Alex