Key Signature & Chord Recognition

Posted by: Clif Anderson

Key Signature & Chord Recognition - 02/14/02 11:21 AM

Is this a good idea?

Would it be useful to have the option of specifying a key signature to be used in chord recognition?

Currently, chord recognition on all arranger keyboards (AFAIK) is ignorant of key. Thus, if you play a base line c-d-e-f-g you get a progression of major chords. But wouldn't Cmaj-Dm-Em-Fmaj-Gmaj be more useful sometimes.

Sheet music provides for a key signature at the beginning of a piece. Why not let us specify a key signature for a piece that affects chord recognition? Thus, if I specify C-major key, the base line c-d-e-f-g would result in Cmaj-Dm-Em-Fmaj-Gmaj.

Currently, it is easy to force a minor chord using two fingers. But it is a lot easier playing a one finger base line than a two finger base line. Also, you might prefer the sound of the one-finger base line.

Also, if you play a wind controller, you can only input a melody. It would be nice to play a melody into an arranger and have it generate a harmonically correct accompaniment. This not easily achieved with the keyless chord recognition schemes. But if you could specify a key (e.g., Eb), you could get a useful harmony. This would apply to other sources of melodic input such as pitch-to-MIDI conversion of voice or wind instruments. (Note that vocal harmonizers do allow key to be specified.)

Also, many of the chord recognitions that seem to come up with the wrong chord recognition might be fixed by adding the option of specifying a key signature.

Any opinions?
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Key Signature & Chord Recognition - 02/14/02 12:33 PM

There is a feature on the psr2000 that does JUST that. You can specify a diatonic scale, and get the correct chords in that key signature. It will be useful for 1 finger players, but confusing to others who finger the chords. You'll have to think BACKwards!

Re: Key Signature & Chord Recognition - 02/14/02 01:09 PM

Thanks, Uncle Dave.

It's good someone can keep up with all of this! What do you mean "you have to think backwards" if you normally finger whole chords (as I do)?

Clif
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Key Signature & Chord Recognition - 02/14/02 01:51 PM

If you're used to making a minor chord by pressing a tonic, minor third and fifth, and all of a sudden, you ony need to push a tonic - for both MAJOR and MINOR - that makes one more thought process that makes NO musical sense. It's hard enough doing all the mechanical stuff involved with arrangers and machines !

Re: Key Signature & Chord Recognition - 02/14/02 07:53 PM

Still, you can use the three finger method for major and minor chords, which is what I normally do. The old one-finger-equals-major mode is still available. I would think the only people that would have trouble would be those that routinely use one-finger major chords. I am assuming on the PSR-2000 you have to consciously activate the key signature, so it is only there when you think it would be helpful. Anyway, if Yamaha has implemented this feature, I appreciate it. Also, thanks to Uncle Dave for letting me know where I could find the feature I was looking for implemented.

Re: Key Signature & Chord Recognition - 02/15/02 03:48 PM

Well, I downloaded the PSR2000 manual and cannot confirm that you can control the chord recognition for a single bass note by entering a key signature. Where is this mentioned in the manual? Or is this an undocumented feature? Or wasn't I clear about what I was looking for?

I want (by way of example) to "tell" the keyboard that I am playing a song in the key of Cm. I want it to respond by selecting a Cm chord (instead of a CMaj chord)when I play a one-finger C in the bass section.

Now the PSR-2000 may have something that is as good or better than what I am suggesting. If anyone uses the AI modes, how well do they work?