PSR-3000 without floppie drive?

Posted by: YamBox

PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/09/04 06:05 AM

After reading the info at PSRTUTORIAL and can't find any info that it would have floppie drive.

Don't take me wrong here, I love the idea of USB memory ect. and really hate playing with floppies but just wondering if one could use the USB memory just as floppies today?

1.44Mb changing to maby 256Mb -> WONDERFULL THING!!

[This message has been edited by YamBox (edited 01-09-2004).]
Posted by: trtjazz

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/09/04 08:44 AM

Looked to me like there was smart card instead of floppie.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html
Posted by: Alex K

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/09/04 09:34 AM

If Yamaha is replacing the floppy with the smart meida card it is great news. The smart media drive weighs much less, takes up less space, more reliable, stores way more data, does not make noise - long overdue for a keyboard. With the USB Host port you can buy an external USB floppy, but why bother?

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/09/04 11:18 AM

If I buy psr3k in future, last thing I could even think is USB floppie... Aargh... Some other more reliable USB storage, yes.

Smart mediacard sounds very good. At least better than floppie...
Posted by: Starkeeper

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/09/04 11:56 AM

My PC does not have a smart media card and neither does my PC at work. You can't have a keyboard with devices that are more technologically advanced then what's currently used in the real world. I work in a high tech office with WAN's, LAN's, laser printers, high speed internet,email,voice mail, call center, 1-800 number, etc. I am not aware of any PC in our office with a smart media card. It would be great if it has a smart media card, but please include a floppy.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 01-09-2004).]
Posted by: The Accordionist

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/09/04 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
My PC does not have a smart media card and neither does my PC at work. You can't have a keyboard with devices that are more technologically advanced then what's currently used in the real world. I work in a high tech office with WAN's, LAN's, laser printers, high speed internet,email,voice mail, call center, 1-800 number, etc. I am not aware of any PC in our office with a smart media card. It would be great if it has a smart media card, but please include a floppy.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 01-09-2004).]

Starkeeper -

You can buy a smart-media card reader for less than $25. One end of the reader accepts the smart-media card while the other end is a USB port, prevalent on all but the most antiquated of PCs.

In this manner, you could take a 64Mb, $19 smart-media card, put it in the reader, have it show up as a drive on your computer, drag 1000 midifiles to it and be done in less than a minute. Do it with another $19 64Mb card and now you have backup in less than a minute.

Pop it into your new arranger and you have diskless access to thousands of midifiles instantly.

It really isn't advanced technology to me, but I may be in the minority here.

Tommy
Posted by: Starkeeper

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/09/04 01:05 PM

My computer at home and at work must be antiquated.
Starkeeper
Posted by: ChuckH

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/09/04 01:19 PM

You can even get a smartmedia card reader for floppy disc drives. It looks like a floppy disc but has a place for a smartmedia card insertion. I haven't used one of these yet. It would be interesting to see if someone has, though.
Posted by: J. Larry

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/09/04 01:39 PM

I was thinking like Starkeeper, but the response about the smart card media reader helps explain matters. I thought at first no floppy drive meant that one would have to have the keyboard hooked-up to a computer to download files for media cards. If so, that would be awkward in my current setup.
Posted by: DonM

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/09/04 02:13 PM

Smart media is the way to go. My cameras use it and it's quick and easy.
You can get a multi-format(Smart Media, Compact Flash, Sony Stick) drive that plugs into any USB port. The computer finds it and sees it as a new drive.
DonM
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/09/04 06:12 PM

Hi,
the kn7 uses the sd card ( similar to smart media) once you've got the styles etc loaded to the card, the only time you'd need access to your computer would be ,
if you downloaded new styles from the net onto p.c
or you want to back up your memory card to computer.

Normal onboard saving & loading is done directly from card to keyboard.

The kn2600 doesn't have a floppy, and the owners appear to be managing okay.
My KN7 does have a floppy as well as sd memory card, but I rarely use a floppy anymore.

I have an sd card reader attached to my laptop via usb and I also have one attached to my p.c. that I use on the net.

Stuff I download onto my net p.c. I save to sdcard then I transfer what I require to my laptop.

The one thing your computer definitely has to have is usb.

I would imagine psr's would work in a similar way.

best wishes
Rikki

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/10/04 05:43 AM

If it does not cost more than 25$ to get that smart media thing in computer, I strongly believe it is worth it!

VERY much more storage and hopefully much faster sounds good.

Wonder when they put cdrw-drive in kb's..
Posted by: trtjazz

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/10/04 06:17 AM

Yambox, I bought a reader that reads 4 different types of cards a "Scan Disk" it came with a 256 mg card in it for $79.00 + a $20.00 mail in rebate, so bottom line was $59.00 with 256 mgs. It works much better than floppy and tons more storage. I am sure your pc's must have a USB port on them, that is not new technology at all. Here's the one I got... http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...goryId=cat04010
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 01-10-2004).]

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/10/04 09:42 AM

Thanks, Terry!

Well well.. Looks like whatever I'm gonna upgrade to psr3k or not, I'm going to get that smartmedia thing on my desktop anyway. Laptop allready has some sort of card reader but I never quite understood what the hell it is

To make it short: Smart media card looks... SMART!!
Posted by: MacAllcock

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/12/04 01:43 AM

As the 3000/1500 have USB there seems little point in buying a Smartmedia reader just for this task. I expect and hope that the smartmedia card to be accessible via the USB; if not we are in a Yamaha-have-shot-themselves-in-the-foot scenario.

If your PC doesnt have USB I think you can get a USB card for less money than the smartmedia/floppy adapter.

It is slightly disappointing that Smartmedia is used as it is limited to 128 megabyte capacity - not that I would anticipate using all of that. Other removeable storage systems - e.g. Compact Flash, xD, Memory Stick pro - can get well past 1 gig. Still a massive advance on a floppy.

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/13/04 01:06 AM

I have USB on my desktop. But kb is currently in another room. Basicly because my son is 1 year old. Maby I'm little overcaring but generally I don't like that he jumps around my 2k untill he's bit bigger.
Posted by: MacAllcock

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/13/04 02:44 AM

mmm. I'm not sure how my 2k would respond well to my son bouncing on it, either.

Anyone got any idea about the max length of USB cables?
Posted by: Dnj

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/13/04 05:44 AM

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?edc=351881

USB extension cable
Posted by: aprilla

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/13/04 02:15 PM

I bought a 3m (9ft) USB cable for 0.99 GBP on ebay, the seller said they could make them any length. A local computer shop could do this also if you needed a particular length.

Very handy too is a retractable USB cable, usually sold for laptops, measures about 1m (3ft). When not in use it is not hanging all over, quite discrete for home use, the cabling in these is narrow, flat, I'm not sure of the durability.
Posted by: ChicoBrasil

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/14/04 02:12 PM

PSRK1 is the first Yamaha arranger that replaced FD with smart media card.With a program named Song filler songs and styles can be sent to the kbd and stored in the card.Songs created by the sequencer can be stored too.

Chico
Posted by: Bob Gelman

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/14/04 05:58 PM

If this is the kind of USB I suggested to Yamaha's engineers who design these things (our PSR Synths), it should take any kind of USB device you want to use. There are USB Smart Media, Floppy Drives, Zip Drives, CD-ROM Burners, etc. If there are any limitations on what USB devices can be used with the 3k, the loss of the antiquated Floppy Drive won't make me sad. It is the first thing to break in most synths. Many Yamaha PSR's won't work unless you can find an exact replacement for the broken FD. Hard to do with older PSRs.

Re: PSR-3000 without floppie drive? - 01/15/04 03:50 AM

If psr3k works with USB HDD's, that would be my choice. Never again backing up disk by disk but just connect to computer and maby burn all data to cd or just backing up or whatever.