Inspiration

Posted by: cassp

Inspiration - 04/28/05 06:10 AM

We've had so many questions asking advice on buying the "best" keyboard, but I wnat to know -

Which arranger have you owned that generated the most inspiration?

Obviously the newer keyboards have more sounds and styles, but which board set your creative juices flowing the most?
Posted by: DonM

Re: Inspiration - 04/28/05 07:19 AM

So far, it's the Ketron SD1. It just sounds so good that I like to hear it.
DonM
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: Inspiration - 04/28/05 08:07 AM

Every keyboard has its own personality, so to speak, and this -in the case of arranger keyboards- is determined by both the sounds and the styles.
So, different keyboards strike different chords inside different musicians: when I owned an SD1 (like DonM has now) I was inspired to record songs like "Guajira", "Hold on, I'm coming", "Sweet home Chicago", "When a man loves a woman".... because the SD1 is strong in the R&B, Pop, Country and Light Rock department. Unfortunately, it didn't inspire me to play a lot of jazz or latin stuff, because the styles were dull or too "heavy" and the sounds lacked the sparkle needed to play that kind of music.
Now I own a Tyros and I think I can say that it's the keyboard that inspires me to play the music I like most; should I buy a different keyboard, I would both regret the Tyros and at the same time had to "redirect" my inspiration according to the tools I'd have at my disposal.
All in all, I can perfectly understand why Don Mason likes the SD1 so much: simply told, it's the best keyboard for the kind of music he likes most.
Don, when will you post a few songs recorded with your new baby?
Posted by: CoasterTim

Re: Inspiration - 04/28/05 08:17 AM

I have owned the following:

Roland KF90
Roland VA7
Technics KN6500
Technics KN7000
Yamaha PSR2100
Yamaha TYROS
- and presently, a Roland KR7 intelligent piano

The most inspiring for me was the Tyros.

------------------