White Shade Of Pale lawsuit settled

Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

White Shade Of Pale lawsuit settled - 12/21/06 06:43 AM

The organist in Procol Harum just won a court case, granting him 40% copyright ownership of the song. Who knows what the real story is but the lead singer is pissed. The organist waited 40 years to gripe about it? Whatever... the British court ruled for the organist. Millions are at stake, I am sure. The singer can appeal, though.

Funny, they barely mention the other copyright co-owner, the lyricist. They didn't break it down but I guess it means the organist gets 40% and the singer and lyricist split the other 60%? I dunno... that would make the organist the largest share-holder.

The singer claimed that the song was written before the organist joined the band. It would be interesting to actually read the transcript of the three weeks of testimony.

Case background

Case settled

------------------
Bill
SmallGig.com
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: White Shade Of Pale lawsuit settled - 12/21/06 06:49 AM

Bill ... I was just looking at your smallgigs site ... I think you want the first word in the 'greeting' to be "Hello", not "Hell", no ?!? ...
t.

Re: White Shade Of Pale lawsuit settled - 12/21/06 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Bill ... I was just looking at your smallgigs site ... I think you want the first word in the 'greeting' to be "Hello", not "Hell", no ?!?

Oops. Will fix.

------------------
Bill
SmallGig.com
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: White Shade Of Pale lawsuit settled - 12/21/06 11:58 AM

I've been in love with that song since 1968 or so, and it's BECAUSE of the organ. I have NO idea what the hell I'm singing about, but I just love the classic
(Bach-inspired ?) organ riff.
....Do you think the "Miller's Tale" line is about the Chaucer story ? ( VERY funny tale ! )
Posted by: zuki

Re: White Shade Of Pale lawsuit settled - 12/21/06 02:45 PM

Isn't it called "Whiter shade of pale"
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: White Shade Of Pale lawsuit settled - 12/21/06 03:02 PM

Actually it is called "A Whiter Shade of Pale"...often abbreviated to the acronym "AWSoP".

Great tune and required repetoire of every keyboardist.

All the best,

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

Re: White Shade Of Pale lawsuit settled - 12/21/06 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:

I can't type lately, but, even more noteworthy, I can't edit a title, as far as I can tell.

------------------
Bill
SmallGig.com
Posted by: renig

Re: White Shade Of Pale lawsuit settled - 12/21/06 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
The singer claimed that the song was written before the organist joined the band. It would be interesting to actually read the transcript of the three weeks of testimony.

. . . and wouldn't it be even more interesting if an early demo, sans organ riff, showed up?

Re: White Shade Of Pale lawsuit settled - 12/22/06 06:08 AM

Wow, here is a detailed opinion of the trial. I'm talking about... it's like a small book!

------------------
Bill
SmallGig.com
Posted by: renig

Re: White Shade Of Pale lawsuit settled - 12/22/06 09:29 AM

http://www.matthewfisher.com/
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: White Shade Of Pale lawsuit settled - 12/22/06 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:

Zuki,
Were you refering to my "Miller's Tale" referance? I'm talking about a line from the song,a nd not the title.
Posted by: zuki

Re: White Shade Of Pale lawsuit settled - 12/23/06 06:48 AM

UD - No, I was just teasing Semi-Live

Happy Holidays,

zuki
Posted by: shboom

Re: White Shade Of Pale lawsuit settled - 12/23/06 03:49 PM

Time to stir the pot....

Quite a few years ago, when "Phantom" was in performance, they were telecasting the various film versions, going all the way back to the silent era. (with piano accompanyment.)
I was surprised to hear two distinct melodic chord progressions. One was definitely what we've come to know and love as "Whiter Shade of Pale" the other was what we have heard as Barry Manillow's "Could This Be The Magic".
I'm sitting there with 2 of my bandmates (we're all theatre buffs) and we all looked at one another at the same time as if to say "Are you hearing....what I'm hearing?"
If I could ever find the soundtrack to the silent film of Phantom of the Opera, I'd post it for you to hear.

okay....I'll crawl back in my hole now....

------------------
...shboom