Volume Pedal: Anyone use this model???

Posted by: squeak_D

Volume Pedal: Anyone use this model??? - 01/21/07 12:23 PM

Has anyone used this volume pedal? I was going to order one though my friend's store until I saw the price on this puppy. I don't need an expensive one. Just something simple that would hold up to home use.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--QLKVP16

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-21-2007).]
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Volume Pedal: Anyone use this model??? - 01/21/07 12:43 PM

Looks like a Roland/Boss pedal...they work fine..
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Volume Pedal: Anyone use this model??? - 01/22/07 06:25 AM

I pulled it out of the pile...this is the pedal that came with my Solton MS 60. I found it to be nearly useless. Stopped using it after two nights and replaced it with a pedal for two keyboards.

Response was really bad..the volume control all happened in the last 1/4 % of the foot travel.

I'd pass on it!

Russ
Posted by: cassp

Re: Volume Pedal: Anyone use this model??? - 01/22/07 07:40 AM

So what does the majority prefer? A volume pedal or a controller pedal? What gives a better result? And wouldn't a controller only be able to handle one keyboard as opposed to a stereo volume that could control at least two boards?
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: Volume Pedal: Anyone use this model??? - 01/22/07 10:03 AM

Cass, I use an EV5 pedal[CC7 expression]..of course my keyboards can assign any part I want to use the pedal..

I use it primarily to bring in a color[accent] sound...within a performance..
Posted by: Diki

Re: Volume Pedal: Anyone use this model??? - 01/24/07 12:26 PM

Squeak..... get an expression pedal - it's FAR more versatile. You can chose which parts are affected, and which aren't, and usually by how much, and even sometimes you can reverse the effect and create a cross fade effect.

As to controlling an entire rig, I wouldn't want to put that under the control of a footpedal. Too easy to accidentally hit it and either disappear or blast your audience out! Adjustments to overall volume are easier dealt with at the mixer (which, hopefully, you keep close by!), or by the volume knob of your arranger.

Beware too much at your feet! Especially critical functions that can kill or damage a song....... I don't mind sustains, variation changes and fills, leslie control, Break/Mutes at my feet, but I am wary of things like Stop/Start near my feet (which I may not be able to see well, while I perform!

An overall volume control using a volume pedal (as opposed to an expression pedal, which can alter lead sounds without killing the arranger side) is difficult to use for very small changes in volume, but FAR too easy to overdo.

Re: Volume Pedal: Anyone use this model??? - 01/24/07 12:45 PM

Old B-3 players rely heavily on the volume pedal, and I'd be lost without my 13 pedal Solton set-up, which I use to control as many functions as I can (stop-start-intros, etc.).

I guess it's all what you're used to. I'd have a hell of a time using an arranger without the pedalboard.

Russ

Re: Volume Pedal: Anyone use this model??? - 01/24/07 01:04 PM

Just a single volume pedal will work for my need really.

Diki,
I'm lucky with how my Roland works too. When I set a controller either by D-Beam or Volume that effect is only applied to the current track--and not the entire performance. I can also record volume changed live into my RS-70's sequencer using the D-Beam alone.

Re: Volume Pedal: Anyone use this model??? - 01/24/07 01:23 PM

Squeak, if you look on the Ketron site, they still list accessories for the MS-60. They have a photo of the volume pedal, which looks like the one you spotted. I'd give you the thing if you would pay UPS (approx $6.00, I'm guessing).

It just doesn't work very well.

Russ
Posted by: Diki

Re: Volume Pedal: Anyone use this model??? - 01/24/07 05:01 PM

What keyboard do you need it for, and why, squeak?

Maybe we can help.....

Re: Volume Pedal: Anyone use this model??? - 01/25/07 04:37 AM

Diki,
I just want a simple (inexpensive) volume pedal to control the volume on my version of Yamaha's Sweet Voices. I've created quite a few of my own, and I currently use the D-Beam on my Roland. I want to use a volume pedal for this so I can assign the D-Beam to another function.

The pedal doesn't have to be top quality. I no longer play out. I do my music as a hobby now, so an inexpensive pedal for home use is all that's needed.
Posted by: Magica Alfa

Re: Volume Pedal: Anyone use this model??? - 01/25/07 04:45 AM

EV5 pedal is good but I thing the best solution is that you change cable (because original is not working well - long period)

Best regards.

Magica Alfa

Re: Volume Pedal: Anyone use this model??? - 01/25/07 04:49 AM

captain russ,
I had a look at the Ketron US site under "accessories", and I saw a volume pedal listed for the MS series that sells for $45.00 Is this the unit you're speaking of? It's not the same pedal pictured in the link I posted from Zzounds.

Re: Volume Pedal: Anyone use this model??? - 01/25/07 06:16 AM

Sorry, Squeak, I took a quick look at your posted photo and thought it was. A day after you posted the photo, I found the one I have. Should have gone back and compared the two.

Old eyes and memory, you know...

Russ