Tyros user manual friendly as a cornered rat!

Posted by: Tyron

Tyros user manual friendly as a cornered rat! - 04/18/03 03:38 AM

Maybe I'm thick or something, but I've tried using the manual, and just cannot figure out how to move style sections from one to another, or copy say from main variation D to A, then edit the parameters - that sort of thing. Please help, as I have no hair left to tear out. Thanks a bunch in anticipation.

Ron
Posted by: Graham UK

Re: Tyros user manual friendly as a cornered rat! - 04/18/03 05:07 AM

All Yamaha manuals are the same. They tell what can be done but give no indication of how to do it.
The Korg manuals on my i3 & i30 gave Tutorial examples. Roland manuals also are more helpful.

Graham UK
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Tyros user manual friendly as a cornered rat! - 04/18/03 05:43 AM

I must agree with Graham. Yamaha's user manuals are among the worst. They are fragmented, vague, and not well written. They provide only the basics, but beyond that, you're on your own. I read the 2000's manual cover to cover a dozen times, and it's almost as if the manual was an afterthought. You'll likely find more information just by talking with users on this and other forums.

Good Luck,

Gary
Posted by: Joe Waters

Re: Tyros user manual friendly as a cornered rat! - 04/18/03 06:41 AM

You'll find detailed instructions on assembling style parts, that is, moving one part of a style to another style, as well as details on how to edit accompaniment styles at http://psrtutorial.com. These lessons cover the PSR-2000, but the Tyros operates the same way so the lessons should be able to help you out.

Here is a direct link to the Assembly lesson: http://psrtutorial.com./Lessons/L_Personalizing/LP_CrStyles/LPC_Assembly/lpc_assembly.html

[This message has been edited by Joe Waters (edited 04-18-2003).]
Posted by: Pilot

Re: Tyros user manual friendly as a cornered rat! - 04/18/03 07:35 AM

Yamaha manuals can also be somewhat untruthful. Amongst other things, the 740 manual claims that you can only use 3 DSPs as insertion and the system DSP can only be used for styles. This may be true at the keyboard console but not for XG sysex. There it claims that there are only 2 DSPs (plus the system DSP) and one of them is for Vocal Harmony. Turns out that you can use all four insertion DSPs and the system (Variation) DSP as system or insertion on all the voices. It also omits all the definitions for the Vocal Harmony. At least the 2000 manual is a bit more forthcoming in this respect and I use it in order to find out how the 740 works! Neither manual lists any of the default values for the effects though the XG specification lists the defaults for standard XG.

Bryan
Posted by: brickboo

Re: Tyros user manual friendly as a cornered rat! - 04/19/03 04:03 PM

All the real manual writers are dead. The people writing manuals today smoke to much crap.

I hadn't seen a manual a person can learn something from in years. You have to know what you are doing or have someone who knows to help you.

That is why I'm picking everyones brains about recording before I buy anything. But that's hard also. Some are die-hard computer software oriented or either multitrack digital. Like I said before, "sometimes life sucks". LIVE IT!!!!!
Boo
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Tyros user manual friendly as a cornered rat! - 04/19/03 04:12 PM

The Best Manual is the one you write yourself!!..............
Posted by: S0C9

Re: Tyros user manual friendly as a cornered rat! - 04/20/03 06:58 PM

It's not just Yamaha...
the tech trend -ALL over - is to make user guides "reference manuals" - where they tell you what can be done, but not how to do it.

About the only user manula I've seen lately that were 'friendly' are DVD owner manuals - designed for idiots who can't even program a remote, with step by step instructions on how to do X or Y !!.

I guess Yamaha and others do not count us in that category eh ??

Regards,
Steve