How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion?

Posted by: Dnj

How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion? - 11/08/07 06:39 AM

Sliders, OS, Buttons, Touch screens, non in-depth multi page menu functions, Lots of on the Fly parameter changes,
MULTI-tasking Modes, style,smf,mp3 all at the same time,plugins, bigger non glare displays.....etc etc ......

and there are so many more....what about yours?
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion? - 11/08/07 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Sliders, OS, Buttons, Touch screens, non in-depth multi page menu functions, Lots of on the Fly parameter changes,
MULTI-tasking Modes, style,smf,mp3 all at the same time,plugins, bigger non glare displays.....etc etc ......

and there are so many more....what about yours?

Touch screens, sliders and Songbook features as already seen on the PA800 and PA2xPro

Re: How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion? - 11/08/07 07:00 AM

Yes Steve all great features especially the Songbook, Korg has really tried to address the needs of players as one of their advertising states "We Listened to You"
http://www.korg.com/KMplay/MSchk.htm?mf=Pa800.wmv

Hopefully they will all listen to what players need down the road with all manufacturers units....
But we have to voice our needs to make them EASIER TO OPERATE...this is where the confusion lies. Difficulty in the operation of these complex instruments can make or break someones decision to buy, keep, or play the unit......another thing I think is imperative for EVERY UNIT MADE is to have QUALITY Instructional DVDS included with all units on all levels of players ability as a guide to its operation......this would help so much for many who dont know & who do know but might learn more by watching them.
Posted by: Runedog

Re: How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion? - 11/08/07 07:53 AM

>>Hopefully they will all listen to what players need down the road with all manufacturers units....
But we have to voice our needs to make them EASIER TO OPERATE...this is where the confusion lies. Difficulty in the operation of these complex instruments can make or break someones decision to buy, keep, or play the unit......another thing I think is imperative for EVERY UNIT MADE is to have QUALITY Instructional DVDS included with all units on all levels of players ability as a guide to its operation......this would help so much for many who dont know & who do know but might learn more by watching them.<<

I totally agree

------------------
Runedog
Posted by: trident

Re: How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion? - 11/08/07 07:59 AM

Donny,
manufacturers care more for the "before you buy" aspect of the equation.

Re: How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion? - 11/08/07 08:03 AM

I cant understand WHT in this day & age manufacturers are scarce or that aftermarket or even end owners have to create Instructional DVDS for their products. Haven't they realized that this could only better their sales from a financial standpoint & also make users happier as a result in Knowing how to FULLY LEARN how use the unit.....or maybe they are afraid to do so because then at that point people wont get discouraged and fall in love with the KB & not look to move on to the next confusing unit which means less money in sales?
I can only think of NOTHING BUT GOOD for all units to have multi user level Multi- LINGUAL Instructional DVDs of their products......with so many manuals that are so confusing this only makes good sense IMO.

Re: How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion? - 11/08/07 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by trident:
Donny,
manufacturers care more for the "before you buy" aspect of the equation.

????? they cant make money before you buy Trident....they have to make you want to buy and enjoy your purchase.
Posted by: Jerry T

Re: How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion? - 11/08/07 11:43 AM

The Korg series boards and modules were very successful and popular instruments (and most of them were black). The Korg i40M was introduced in the late '90's. Since the Korg introduced the PA series, I've been asking about a PA based arranger module. KorgUS flat out noted that there is NO MARKET for it, and KorgIt said pretty much the same thing. Therein, I believe is the answer.
But, you would think that the success of the Ketron modules would influence the 'no-market/no-product' view. I suppose the Korg marketing and R&D people have their fingers on the pulse of what SELLS.
Oh yeah, for me manufacturers can offer an interactive module with all the bells and whistles that the boards have.
Ciao,
Jerry
Posted by: mr9000

Re: How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion? - 11/08/07 03:00 PM

One thing i'm increasing wanting is a "lock" feature,where i could freeze single voices while changes others.. AND a Operating system where you can go into the 'custom voice' area that WOULD allow any R2, R3 Left voice not having to be in the R1-position feature for R1/R2/R3 & left!
After getting a voice sounding real great,say in the R2 spot,i have spent so much time copy entire voice setup into R1,,not good time wise.
I could go on and on on this topic.
Posted by: abacus

Re: How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion? - 11/08/07 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mr9000:
One thing i'm increasing wanting is a "lock" feature,where i could freeze single voices while changes others.. AND a Operating system where you can go into the 'custom voice' area that WOULD allow any R2, R3 Left voice not having to be in the R1-position feature for R1/R2/R3 & left!
After getting a voice sounding real great,say in the R2 spot,i have spent so much time copy entire voice setup into R1,,not good time wise.
I could go on and on on this topic.

Just select the layer R1, R2, L1 etc that you wish to change and the rest of the voices (Layers) will stay the same.
When you have edited a voice, just save it in a user sound slot, (Normally a couple of button presses) and you can then use it anywhere you like. (That way you don’t have to keep modifying it every time you want to load it into another layer)
Or am I missing something?

Bill
Posted by: renig

Re: How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion? - 11/08/07 04:51 PM

How about an indexed, full-blown, hands-on demonstration DVD of all, and I mean ALL, the keyboard's capabilities. The time saved in fiddling about and frustration would be enormous and make the product far more attractive to the prospective buyer.

Manufacturers spend large amounts on R&D, so to spend a bit more on putting together such an obvious aid, I think would tip the scales for someone who'd love to buy a keyboard, but is intimidated by the technology.

Re: How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion? - 11/08/07 05:25 PM

Just select the layer R1, R2, L1 etc that you wish to change and the rest of the voices (Layers) will stay the same.
---------
Thx Bill,but there's no way around trying to modify a voice in the R2,R3/Left-position,without the keyboard always defaulting to the R1 voice only in
'custom voice' mode.(Psr9000)
Sure would be nice to be able to freeze say R2,while changing to a different registration bank.

Re: How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion? - 11/08/07 09:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by renig:
How about an indexed, full-blown, hands-on demonstration DVD of all, and I mean ALL, the keyboard's capabilities. The time saved in fiddling about and frustration would be enormous and make the product far more attractive to the prospective buyer.

Manufacturers spend large amounts on R&D, so to spend a bit more on putting together such an obvious aid, I think would tip the scales for someone who'd love to buy a keyboard, but is intimidated by the technology.
[/QUOT

YES SIR
Posted by: Diki

Re: How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion? - 11/09/07 12:19 PM

I think the main thing that all arranger manufacturers can do to make them easier to operate is to ensure that the registration data memorizes the COMPLETE state of the instrument. No more 'this data is stored here', 'that data is stored there', and 'the MIDI setup is stored here'...

If you want to go from one registration using internal sounds to a reg. that uses a few external modules (where most arrangers will make you change MIDI configurations), or change chord recognition modes mid song, or just about anything that currently involves at least two separate load functions, it should ALL be one button.

ONE registration to bind them all...

And another thing...? Make sure that changing from ANY registration to any other registration is completely seamless. No voices get cut off, no glitches in the sound while parameters change, no hiccups in timing, no nothing. You should be able to change EVERYTHING on the fly without the slightest loss of flow.

Lastly... FAR more comprehensive 'HOLD' functions. You should be able to put a HOLD on just about anything, from Tones to Split points, to recognition modes, to tempi, and not have OTS over-ride or new registration change your 'held' parameters. Most arrangers can hold SOME parameters, but none (AFAIK) give you a comprehensive set. Everyone uses an arranger differently, expecting one limited set to cover ALL the possibilities is unrealistic.
Posted by: renig

Re: How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion? - 11/09/07 04:49 PM

Re. my previous post, I'd forgotten about this gem for Korg Pa1X and Pa800 boards:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26292

Re: How can manufacturers make Arranger KB's EASIER to Operate in Your opinion? - 11/09/07 10:48 PM

Lastly... FAR more comprehensive 'HOLD' functions,should be able to put a HOLD on just about anything, from Tones to Split points, to recognition modes, to tempo..
----
Glad to see there are others who need some freezing options!