Begginner - Have questions

Posted by: spacecrusader

Begginner - Have questions - 08/10/06 03:33 PM

ello,

I've been interested in playing the Keyboard for awile - and think I may spring out and buy something now. Wasent sure where to post, noticed this forum was most active.

I have a few questions though.

1.) When a keyboardist in a band plays, is each key sound custom? Is it made like on the keyboard and stored, or on the PC and stored on keyboard?

2.) Looking on Musiciansfriend.com - I see different catgeroies to choose from.
-Synths & Workstations
-Digital Pianos
-Portables/Arrangers
-Midi Controllers

Which best fits what Id like? To create sounds of my own, if thats what people do?

3.) Can anyone recommend anything between $200-$400 dollars that is decent for a begginner? Also a list of good brands would be nice.

Sorry for the "newbie" questions.
Thanks
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/10/06 04:04 PM

In the $200 to $400 category you're not going to find anything that will suffice. Figgure on spending at least $1,000 and that for used equipment in good condition. If you are fortunate, a used Yamaha PSR-3000 will be adequate and provide the sounds you are looking for.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/10/06 05:39 PM

Thanks for the input.

A guy recommended these for my budget to start out. Any opinion on these?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QS62/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AGMCI/104-0263788-6353554?v=glance&n=172282

Thanks

[This message has been edited by spacecrusader (edited 08-10-2006).]

[This message has been edited by spacecrusader (edited 08-10-2006).]
Posted by: TwoNuts

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/10/06 06:02 PM

If you are looking to get into keyboards for the first time, I recommend anything in the Yamaha line. The two that you listed on the previous post would be fine. Also PSR 293/295 or the newer E403. Yamaha does offer low priced entry level boards that have very good sounds and allow you to record some of your own compositions. There are many good options for you. I think the best thing to do is go and get your hands on some of the Yamaha models and decide that way. No real need to spend alot of money if your just starting out.

Regards,

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

[This message has been edited by TwoNuts (edited 08-10-2006).]

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/10/06 06:11 PM

Yeah that sounds cool. I will probably go check some out in person.

I just want to make sure one I choose has that sound customibility. Looking to create some dark electronica key sounds.

Does it come with software, or do you purchase your own? Any recommendations?

Thanks

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/10/06 06:20 PM

This is a quote from another topic about the Yamaha PSR-E403. You can find additinal info , if you do a search on it.

Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:
After looking around and trying to decide which "hold-me-over" board to buy I went with the new Yamaha E403. I am a keyboard hobbiest, not a pro. But I do have a fascination for keyboards, so in the past I have had all the major boards from Technics, Roland, and Yamaha. Right now, I have a 3 yr. old Roland digital piano (KR7), which I suppose, could be described as a full-blown 88-key VA5 in oak. I have no portable board at this time. I am waiting for the successor to the PSR3000.

All that to say I "needed" something cheap to cure my 'portable arranger keyboard withdrawal' after selling my PSR3000 to pay taxes (ouch). Hence, the purchase of the Yamaha E403 (paid $194 off the shelf, including a free power converter)
This is in no way a pro board, but in my opinion, any pro could make this board sound great. It's got just enough good stuff on it to make it sound fabulous for the price. Here are some of the cool and useable features:

- 61 'Yamaha' keys w/touch response
- Pitch bend
- 116 panel voices, 12 drum kits, 361 XGlite voices, 15 arpeggio voices
-"Sweet" Voices: tenor sax, sop sax, trumpet, flute, pan flute
- "Cool" Voices: Galaxy el. piano, organ, rotor organ
- Stereo sampled piano (PSR 2100 quality)
- USB to PC
- Arpeggiator! (50 patterns)
- 2 real-time control knobs (reverb, chorus, filter cutoff, filter resonance, attack time, release time, style and arp tempo, style cutoff, style resonance) Yes, you can create and save changes.
- dual, split voice, harmony
- 155 styles (user styles, too) (one intro/ending, 2 variations, auto fill)
- 6 track sequencer
- 32 voice poly
- 30 internal songs, user songs (up to 99)
- Music Database (256 song setups)
- Registration memory (8 banks, 2 types)
- Performance assistant technology
- Yamaha Education Suite
- Outputs: phone/out, DC in, USB, Sustain
- 2 two-way speakers (just OK)
- cool blue backlit screen & orange-glow buttons
- 15 lbs. (without the 6 D batteries)

Things I miss on this board: DSP, mixer, more intros & endings.

For the price, it is outstanding. I have mine connected to a 200 watt amp, 2 Samson Resolv65's, and my little Behringer 1202fx mixer and it sounds real fine.

This (under)$200 board, compared to the PSR3000, which cost nearly 8 times more, is really a bargain and a lot of fun.

Tim

Regards,

Dennis L. Almond
aka...TwoNuts

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/10/06 06:25 PM

Space Crusader,

If you could go back and edit your second post that list the links to the various keyboards.
If you would break that long HTML string in half, it would make viewing this entire thread a little easier for everybody.
Just go into the middle of the string and hit the enter button on your keyboard. then re-submit it.

If thats not to much trouble.

Dennis
Posted by: Starkeeper

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/11/06 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spacecrusader:
I just want to make sure one I choose has that sound customibility. Looking to create some dark electronica key sounds.

Does it come with software, or do you purchase your own? Any recommendations?

Thanks

If you are looking to CREATE voices, then you want a synth not an arranger. There is very little dark electronica on an arranger. Arranger tend to have very good ACOUSTIC voices.
Most keyboards don't come with software. You can create and change voices on the synth itself.
If you want to create electronic voices on a computer, then you just need a MIDI controller keyboard (the sounds will be produced on your computer with software and a soundcard).
Do a search for Hypersonic 2 on this forum.
Look for posts by Bluezplayer, if you are thinking of creating music with software.
If you're thinking of going the software route you might want to join the Software arranger and softsynth forum here http://www.synthzone.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=43&SUBMIT=Go
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 08-11-2006).]

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/11/06 12:39 PM

On a MIDI controller, do you need the computer there with you? Or does it load it all on the board?

Is there alot of customization you can do with the sounds on a synth? Or does it vary per synth model itself?

Another guy told me that this: http://www.sonicstate.com/synth/_inc/picview.cfm?synthid=530
Used might fit my needs as well. Hows that compared to the QS 6.2

Thanks,
Stevo

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/11/06 06:27 PM

http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/technotes/issue2-ion/

Anyone have an opinion on that? And how different it is from the Alesis QS6.2?

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/15/06 02:46 PM

Hello again,

Another "newb" question
http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/technotes/issue2-ion/

With a synth like that, can you "make a track, save it, make another, save it. Then play them both at the same time, while playing something different on the keyboard yourself?"

I'm not sure what that is called, but I hear it in songs with one keyboardist - so im asking hehe.

Thanks
Posted by: rikkisbears

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/15/06 04:24 PM

Hi,
are you planning on using this keyboard to play in realtime ( ie live)
or are you planning on creating a complete song ie record bass track, then drum track etc etc ( sequencing )
There's different options for different needs.
If you have access to a reasonable computer, you also have the option of softsynths (software synthesizers, samplers etc) & software sequencers & arrangers.

Depends on what you're trying to achieve, and what type of music you're planning to play with those "Dark Sounds".

best wioshjes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by spacecrusader:
[B]

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/16/06 03:30 AM

Hello,

I plan on playing live, and have a track recorded before and playing that at the same time?

Nothing with a computer, just the synth I listed

Thanks

[This message has been edited by spacecrusader (edited 08-16-2006).]

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/16/06 04:36 AM

Quote:
On a MIDI controller, do you need the computer there with you? Or does it load it all on the board?

Is there alot of customization you can do with the sounds on a synth?Thanks,
Stevo

A MIDI controller is used to control other devices like software on a computer, voices are not loaded onto the controller.

Synths are designed to customize voices.
Starkeeper

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/16/06 04:44 AM

Quote:
Hello,

I plan on playing live, and have a track recorded before and playing that at the same time?

Nothing with a computer, just the synth I listed

Thanks

That may not work in a live situation with other musicians. You didn't say what instruments the other band members are playing. If one of the other musicians is a drummer you more then likely would not be able to play pre-recorded tracs. Even an arranger would not work.
If you record drum tracs on your synth and the band members are following YOU, then it would work.
How would the band members sync up with your pre-recorded tracs or how would you sync up with the other musicians?
Starkeeper

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/16/06 01:28 PM

Hey,

Well, It must be possible because The Bravery can do it. Has like 2 different "tracks" going on and off during the songs, and playing at the same time. Thats with two different keyboards though, but should be same concept?

Either way, that ION looks nice. Any comments on it?

Stevo

[This message has been edited by spacecrusader (edited 08-16-2006).]

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/16/06 02:13 PM

http://www.keyboardmag.com/story.asp?storycode=13829

Seems like they play it by ear, not sure.

But what id like to know is recording multiple tracks on the ION and playing them at same time possible?

Thanks

Re: Begginner - Have questions - 08/17/06 08:00 AM

What instruments do "The Bravery" play?
What instruments will be in your band?
It is possible to have pre-recorded music in a band, but the drummer (if there is one) will have to follow a click track (whaterver that is). If the drums are on your pre-recorded music, then the other musicians should be able to follow it.
The drummer lays down the tempo. How can you possible synchronize your pre-recorded sequence with him?
How will you start it up at the exact beginning of the song?
How will you synchronize with him if his tempo is slightly slower or faster?
Starkeeper