What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's?

Posted by: Scott Langholff

What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/29/07 03:27 AM

We're currently using "MP3 Downloads" It does a pretty good job. Wondering if anyone is having any luck with any others.

We stopped using Limewire, it just plain screws up your computer. I would suggest to anyone, do not download that sucker!

Scott
Posted by: Nick G

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/29/07 05:41 AM

Scott,

download a program called "bearshare"
www.bearshare.com

this is basically the new kazaa / napster / limewire.

i have been using it over a year and its excellent. has evrything and the download rates are very fast and the sources are reliable.

Nick
Posted by: mikey_maestro

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/29/07 05:47 AM

be careful!!

I got tons of spyware using bearshare.com

it's been around a while but you still get bombarded with malware and spyware.

good luck!1

------------------
Thanks,
Mikey
Posted by: zuki

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/29/07 05:59 AM

Also try limewire.com - free and fast mp3 downloads.

Yes, be careful. Someone hijacked my IP and was sending 1000's of emails from my computer. My carrier alerted me of this.

zuki
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/29/07 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
....We stopped using Limewire, it just plain screws up your computer. I would suggest to anyone, do not download that sucker!

Using downloadmanagers is no problem as long as you go through
the settings carefully.
I've used Limewire for years, and as long as you take time to set
preferences carefully, you're the boss, not
the software.
But remember, no files are safe, not even MP3 files.........

Happy Playing
GJ
Posted by: Dnj

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/29/07 08:00 AM

Scott what are you going to do with the mp3's
I thought you only play "live".
Changing your approach? Hope you not becoming a faker like us using mp3/smf etc etc ...

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/29/07 11:49 AM

Hi Gunnar

Can you tell me what those preferences are that would make Limewire safe??

The last few times I've downloaded it something took over and evertime I'd exit the program it continually would turn itself on. It really messed with the computer to the point it would hardly operate.

When we spoke with customer service for Bellsouth, she said that's one of the worst to tangle up your computer.

Scott

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/29/07 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Scott what are you going to do with the mp3's
I thought you only play "live".
Changing your approach? Hope you not becoming a faker like us using mp3/smf etc etc ...

Hi Donny

What, me become a faker? Hope I spelt that right

Hey, whatever works. The primary thing to me is to make the crowd and especially the client happy.

I've used midi only a few times if I was better off doing that than playing it or not performing it at all. It was mostly for the occasional line dance like Electric Slide or something of that nature. I could count the times I've done this on one hand.

Otherwise, I tend to use midi only occasionally during the break.

I do prefer to play live. I like to be able to do things on the fly and different everytime.

Otherwise, we do like to download mp3's, especially Jen, for our own enjoyment.

However, right now I'm wanting to get the songs by the artists used by my new singer. Some of the songs I haven't heard or played since the "70's. Some I've never heard of.

I enjoy playing all kinds of music. To me there are only 2 kinds of music. Good music and bad music. In other words, how the music is done, not referring to any genre.

Today will be interesting as I see if I can find a style to do Purlple Rain by Prince. I've got the midi. We'll see. I don't like not being in control on the go. But, it might be fun to test out.

I think needing to sound exactly like the original recording is an urban legend. If someone wants that then they can spin CD's.

Anyway, didn't expect to get that wordy.

Best
Scott

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/29/07 12:16 PM

Scott you make some interesting & very valid points.....first off what is a Midi? had to ask secondly as a OMB why aren't You singing & playing? Third any song can be done in so many variations if you know what your doing that's what makes it fun. Fourth what kind of audiences are you playing for now that would require a song like Purple Rain may I ask? And finally please post a few more songs for us to listen like this prince tune interested in hearing your rendition of it or any others as well.

l8tr
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/29/07 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:

... Can you tell me what those preferences are that would make Limewire safe??

...... When we spoke with customer service for Bellsouth, she said that's one of the worst to tangle up your computer......

Hi Scott.

It's a lot to go through, because LW is a filesharing software, a stright
forward installation will let the software keep some ports open, and also
share the folders on your PC that are set as shared.
Myself I only have one single folder as shared for LW, and I prefer to have
it on a external drive. Works fine.
Also I don't allow it to start when Windows start, but start it manually when
I'm goint to use it.
That said, it's not the software itself who are "dangerous", but some people
who find it "funny" to hack and spread virus etc. Thats why we need good virus
and spy defending software. Big business for someone, bad for our wallets!
And of course not to forget rule #1: Be careful what to download wherever or
whatever software used to download it!

You have to start go through the settings in Menu\Preferences. Use common
sence and also do a serch at i.e. Google for i.e. "Limewire safety" or similiar.
Here are a good example from cnet:
http://help.cnet.com/hackers/9602-12576_39-0.html?messageID=2509976&kw=hackers

Also some nice info here:
http://www.limewire.com/help/ftc4.php

Happy Playing
GJ

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Jonny (edited 07-29-2007).]
Posted by: GlennT

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/29/07 01:12 PM

Hey Scott, let's change that to "the latest and best and SAFEST sites for downloading mp3s"

Glenn
Posted by: GlennT

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/29/07 01:39 PM

Just remembered, some time ago, someone suggested a Russian site. While not free, it was ~ 10 cents per song if I remember correctly.

Glenn

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/29/07 03:21 PM

"first off what is a Midi? "

Oh man, I just knew somebody would ask that one day

"as a OMB why aren't You singing & playing?"

Long story, hopefully here's the short answer. I'm primarily an instrumentalist, being a trumpet, sax, drums and keyboard player, although lately mostly just keyboard. That's what interests me, that's what I listen to and for.

Secondly when my voice changed it seems I was always in the cracks. Also I played trumpet and heard everything higher.

Now the interesting thing is now that I'm working with a good singer and listening to the recording we made and also listening to mp3's of the music we are going to do, I am forced to listen to the vocals and I find myself being able to sing reasonably almost passable even now. Jen might disagree with that

Previously, as an instrumentalist, I would block out the words of the singer and only listen to their voice as an instrument. Paying attention to inflection and feeling. Still the most important part of it. I think a good singer could sound good singing peas and carrots, peas and carrots or going la la la, if they've got the feel and inflection.

Of course being a trumpet player I also used to view singers and sax players as a time to rest the lip

I may test it out now that I am getting it in my head, and this surprises me. I noticed I am pretty much singing on pitch. I would prefer a different voice, say, Sinatra or something like that. I also could tend to be less critical of my singing and playing for that matter, because of the large number of people I hear sing and probably shouldn't be

"what kind of audiences are you playing for now that would require a song like Purple Rain "

Good question. I first heard that about 2 days before our 1st gig. I thought what kind of place am I going to play in for that to go over, besides wondering how I'd pull that off on the keyboard. Well, thankfully we didn't play it that night.

At first I didn't think there was any form to it, but the more I listen, it's really not a bad tune, and the chord structure isn't much different than the concept of the Blue Moon progression.

It will be interesting to experiment with this song and make it my/our own.

As far as what kind of audience, surprisingly it was a ritzy resort club, who when I walked in was playing R & B piped in.

" And finally please post a few more songs for us to listen like this prince tune interested in hearing your rendition of it or any others as well"

I will be posting more demos of the duo and me doing solo as time permits. I've got a couple of the duo songs up already. Recorded live performed for the very first time. It seems almost all of the duo recordings sound reasonably good enough for a client to hear if needed and get an idea of what we sound like and to see if that's what they would want.

Chow
Scott www.ScottLMusic.com

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/29/07 08:47 PM

Scott first off its Ciao (Italian)...not Chow (Chinese)

Secondly thanx for the informative reply ...I wish you well in your new duo act & possible singing inclusion also...go for it baby!

------------------

Donny

“ Choose a Job You Love, and you will Never have to Work a Day in Your Life! ”

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/29/07 09:55 PM

Donny

Actually, I did mean chow. I was hungry and was getting ready to eat........some chow
Posted by: mikeathome1

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/30/07 07:31 AM

How come no one is talking about the ethics of stealing mp3's.
Is it ok to download mp3's without paying but a crime to sample a keyboards sounds?
Posted by: trident

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/30/07 08:49 AM

Use Emule. http://emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1&rm=download

Fast, many sources available. Have found many "gems" there, did you know that Elvis sung a cover of "Sweet Home Alabama"?

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/30/07 10:25 AM

Yes, the ethics question is an interesting one. I would like to see a show of hands of who has not ever given or accepted a copy of a cassette, CD, video, magazine article, sheet music, a rhythm style or what have you.

Mighty quite isn't it?

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 07-30-2007).]
Posted by: Diki

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/31/07 07:12 AM

The best app for getting MP3's (now that the issue of piracy has finally been raised )....?

iTunes.

99¢ a song...

Can't afford a buck? Then you don't REALLY need that song....

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/31/07 09:52 AM

Hi Diki

That would be a great idea if the couple of songs that I want would be available from iTunes, which they are not. So, how many people would want to pay $15-20 for a CD for one song? Doesn't interest me much.

But on this issue on ethics, I wonder how many artists that a person might want to download has NEVER given or accepted something like a copy of sheet music, cassette, CD, video, DVD, etc. My guesstimate. 0

I think it's one of those things that each person has to decide what's best for them. I would venture to say that everyone has that speck in their eye.

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 07-31-2007).]

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/31/07 12:09 PM

Oh, absolutely, Scott. We are all probably guilty of this at one point or another.

But as musicians, with a more vested interest in having the recording industry actually be profitable (we all should at least aspire to having our recorded work make money for us!), we need to be careful that we don't make this seem perfectly OK.

There are MANY mp3 sites that are legal. Only after we have exhausted all those should pirate sites be acceptable (barely)...

BTW.. Want to get rid of all this spy-ware cr*p...? Get a new Intel Mac. Run Mac OS for the web stuff and email, and still run Windows for your Windows apps (if you HAVE to use them!). Limewire works perfectly on a Mac, no mal-ware at all...

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/31/07 04:16 PM

Hi Diki

Yes, I agree. It's just one of those things.

Take for example the Roland G70 or E80 styles. As soon as they were converted and put online Roland made everyone take them off their site using legal threats.

But, enough of them got out so that a bunch of players could try them out and liked them. The result? Many players ended up buying a G70 or E80. More than if those styles had not gotten out.

Same with mp3's supposing I get one for a tune with this new singer and I either don't remember clearly how it went or maybe it's something I never heard. So, say I download an mp3. Maybe I like it so much I'll go out and buy this guy's CD's. OR even more importantly, we perform the song, a lot of people like it and they go out and buy the CD.

This is really where I'm coming from. Sure, if I had a CD out I'd like to get the royalties as much as anyone else, but then there is the modern reality of the internet and other sources.

My previous statements would probably have been better understood if we were talking in person. But, I stand by what I had to say.

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 07-31-2007).]
Posted by: mikeathome1

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/31/07 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Oh, absolutely, Scott. We are all probably guilty of this at one point or another.

But as musicians, with a more vested interest in having the recording industry actually be profitable (we all should at least aspire to having our recorded work make money for us!), we need to be careful that we don't make this seem perfectly OK.

There are MANY mp3 sites that are legal. Only after we have exhausted all those should pirate sites be acceptable (barely)...

I only mention it because every thread mentioning a certain keyboard there is a member that jumps in to complain about samples. So it depends who is doing the stealing. And I have to admit I'm just as guilty as anyone so I'm not trying to be righteous about it.
I'm just pointing out the hypocracy of it
And I wonder What does he have against them anyhow? It's beginning to sound like a personal thing.

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/31/07 05:57 PM

I guess I missed the thing about the samples.
Posted by: arcadia

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/31/07 07:33 PM

Try MP3 Rocket Pro. I've never had a problem with spyware etc.

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/31/07 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
I only mention it because every thread mentioning a certain keyboard there is a member that jumps in to complain about samples. So it depends who is doing the stealing. And I have to admit I'm just as guilty as anyone so I'm not trying to be righteous about it.
I'm just pointing out the hypocracy of it
And I wonder What does he have against them anyhow? It's beginning to sound like a personal thing.

Yes, I believe it DOES matter who is doing the stealing (and what they are stealing)...

I just believe that it is a different thing for individuals to do this compared to a corporation. There is little enough corporate responsibility nowadays, IMO, but for a company officer to actually BRAG about sample piracy as if it is a 'feature' of his product is beyond the pale (once again, IMO)...

At some point or another, we have to hold governments and corporations (the two are inextricably linked, nowadays) to a higher standard than individuals, otherwise, as I said on an earlier thread, we are faced with the prospect of 'Well, I break the law from time to time, even in a small way, so it is OK for my President to do it in a big way, or it's OK for a corporation to break it with impunity'.

If you have to be COMPLETELY blameless before you can criticize a corporation, government or public figure, well, that basically opens the door for them to do anything they want to, doesn't it?

Only one person ever WAS blameless, and they crucified Him, didn't they?
Posted by: renig

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 07/31/07 09:32 PM

Quote:
But as musicians, with a more vested interest in having the recording industry actually be profitable (we all should at least aspire to having our recorded work make money for us

I know where you're coming from on this, Diki. You've been in the game for years so you surely know that the recording industry has been screwing artists for decades. This is a major reason why so many aspiring musicians choose to release their work individually via the internet. So this could hardly be considered theft.

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 08/01/07 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by renig:
I know where you're coming from on this, Diki. You've been in the game for years so you surely know that the recording industry has been screwing artists for decades. This is a major reason why so many aspiring musicians choose to release their work individually via the internet. So this could hardly be considered theft.

Well, if they screwed us while they made fat profits, they are only going to screw us harder as their profits diminish. There are FAR fewer development deals out there now their profits are down, labels expect the bands to self-promote and even self-produce in many cases. This didn't use to be the way things worked. So many artists are web-based now because they HAVE to (very little A&R money left after piracy drops profits 30%+), not because they want to... And, so far, without a major label, few ever reach the top that way.

And while, yes, I've seen many artists get screwed over by their record companies, I've also seen many an artist screw up, and lose millions of their record company's money, too. That door swings both ways...

If it was so easy to start a record company and make a profit while staying honest, there would be a boatload more successful labels out there... There's an awful lot more to it than just screwing your artists!
Posted by: renig

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 08/01/07 02:57 PM

Quote:
Well, if they screwed us while they made fat profits, they are only going to screw us harder as their profits diminish.

Don't quite follow the logic of that one, Diki. If their profits diminish to the point of 'belly up', then they're not going to be screwing anybody, having successfully screwed themselves out of business.

No sir, the situation recording companies find themselves in has been almost entirely self-wrought over a period of many years.

Face it, they've had it all their own way for far too long, and now that they're getting it up 'em, they don't like it.

Sounds like they're fast disappearing up their own orifices.

Oh . . . I fear we've wandered off topic here, sorry Scott.

[This message has been edited by renig (edited 08-01-2007).]

Re: What's the latest and best sites for downloading mp3's? - 08/01/07 03:53 PM

It's amusing to find a forum dedicated to arrangers and OMBs (fairly senior citizens, in general ) turn out to be so full of anarchists... :

I fail to see what the record companies have done that precipitated the piracy problem they now have. I would have to lay that one squarely at the computer and software industries' feet, there. As this thread seems to indicate, even a dollar a tune isn't enough to deter piracy, so the cost of CD's doesn't appear to be a factor.

Remember, the VAST majority of people pirating MP3s have never been screwed over by the record industry...