I bought a GW7

Posted by: Uncle Dave

I bought a GW7 - 11/10/07 09:00 AM

Hmmmmmmm....is all I can say so far.
It was cheap and looked clean, so I took a shot. I plan to keep it at school for a second PC controler and to use in small piano/bass/drum demo shoes for the kids.

It has some nice sounds, firm keys and ez navigation, but it's very limited.

More later .... gotta run to a show in an hour. This is by far the LIGHTEST kb I ever held. It's a feather.
Posted by: Diki

Re: I bought a GW7 - 11/10/07 11:05 AM

Hmmmmm.. firm keys AND light weight.

How did THAT happen? (Don't let Yamaha know, shhhhh )
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: I bought a GW7 - 11/10/07 11:15 AM

Dave,

What are the Electric Pianos like?

I have a friend who can get a GW7 for a cool price, and he wants/needs good Rhodes and Wurlys.

Ian
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: I bought a GW7 - 11/10/07 12:26 PM

Dave, I bought one from George a few months ago, along with a SH-201. Turned them on to see if they worked, but haven't taken them to a job yet. George sold me on the idea that the piano and vibe sounds in the SW-7 would be what I needed for my right hand. I intend to use it on my right hand, with the SH-201 over the Roland G-70 on a house job. George thinks that this is an ideal use for this little board. I will not be using arranger funcrtions at all. I'm going to get into it tomorrow. In the meantime, what do you think about this application?

R.

Re: I bought a GW7 - 11/10/07 03:26 PM

Hmmmm, so far in the short demo I gave it, I find that as a piano/bass/drum unit - it's great. The arranger is very "preset", but they do give you the option of "thinning" out the band from full to combo to bass & drums only. I like that.
As for a right hand solo piece, I think you're fine. The acoustic sounds are very nice.....haven't dug into the Rhodes and Wurlies yet, Ian ..... maybe later tonight.

It's an interesting little board...a great backup to keep for emergencies.

Re: I bought a GW7 - 11/10/07 03:45 PM

Hmmmm, found a little problem for live use - it seems if you change style while the drums are running, the new pattern has it's own preset tempo. It doesn't lock during play. At least, it doesn't yet. I'll check it out further. That would be a disaster for any of my shows. I change styles like crazy within a song, or to seque to the next.

Re: I bought a GW7 - 11/10/07 05:03 PM

OK:
Ian, the Ep's are nice...very much like the VA series. Lots of variations on board. Clavs and Wurlies are pretty stock - very useable.
Russ, as a lead board - it'll do great. Nice bread & Butter sounds. Piano, vibes, organ, harmonica...all nice.

The tempo UNlock is the biggest peeve for me, but for what it cost and how i need to use it ..... it's a keeper ( I think ! )
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: I bought a GW7 - 11/10/07 05:37 PM

It must have been a BIG oversight..The GW-7 is a "silent slab"...

Re: I bought a GW7 - 11/10/07 05:38 PM

Yeah....go ahead, make fun. It's not for ME, per sey ..... just to have in the school music room for the odd job
Posted by: Dnj

Re: I bought a GW7 - 11/10/07 08:05 PM

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=657&ParentId=83

GW7 DEMO Video

Re: I bought a GW7 - 11/10/07 08:37 PM

"king of links" ....... at it again !
Hiya, Pop Pop !