What do your kids play?

Posted by: miden

What do your kids play? - 11/05/07 08:30 PM

Just as a topic of a different nature I was wondering what other keyboard players did with their kids who wanted to play..For example with my son (11) I have tried to steer him away from keyboards (too expensive and changeable..imo) and he is currently learning bass and guitar.
What do others think or do?
Dennis
Posted by: Taike

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/05/07 09:09 PM

Interesting topic, Dennis.

My son's only 10 months so there's still time. I would like him to study piano when he's old enough but it'll be his decision in the end. I'll let him practice his vocal cords some more for the time being.

Taike

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/05/07 09:16 PM

Taike, I hear you!!!!
Dennis
Posted by: Dnj

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/05/07 09:49 PM

Aside from my oldest daughter who is a singer..............
they all play their iPods everyday

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/05/07 09:54 PM

Or maybe play like this kid????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3VDC_3LVv8
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/06/07 08:01 AM

My oldest son is my bass player in my jazz trio.

R.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/06/07 08:08 AM

My oldest son plays guitar.

My oldest daughter played clarinet..

My youngest son plays drums..

My youngest daughter plays flute..

My wife played piano..

and one of my grandchildren is studying piano..

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/06/07 08:19 AM

Getting todays kids involved in the process of playing an instrument is not like years ago....that all changed with the advent of the Computer, DJ's, etc etc etc ....
The choices for them are vast to create music which we didn't have.....instilling the LOVE for music in their lives starts at home & if your plant the seed early & it blossoms thru the years with naturing & love for the Art form they will continue to become serious musicians & follow in our footsteps to enjoy the "Magic"...its not for every child, but the ones that are lucky enough to grasp it will reap the rewards of Playing Music!
Posted by: bruno123

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/06/07 09:15 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by captain Russ:
[B]My oldest son is my bass player in my jazz trio.

Russ, you are blessed, John c.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/06/07 09:26 AM

I feel all should have a touch of piano regardless of what instrument they play. Years ago if you wanted to go to college and major in music you had to take some piano lessons along with your selected instrument.
Their reason: When it is time to learn music theory you can see it on the piano, not so on other instruments.

The piano is the master instrument, it can represent all the instruments in the orchestra, it is why people who arrange for larger groups select piano.

If you are playing by ear, and that has it’s own beauty, the above is just conversation.

John C.

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/06/07 09:48 AM

Thanks, John. Actually, my grandson will be joining the group as drummer the first of the year. That will be a hoot. My other son runs our audio operation...setting up for us and me individually, handling our rental systems and working as announcer and DJ.

I'm really grateful...

R.

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/06/07 11:05 AM

Yes Russ, that is a sweet arrangement..would be really enjoyable and satisfying doing gigs, AND being able to mess around at home!!
Dennis

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/06/07 12:43 PM

Actually, my oldest boy works with me at the company, so we generally play every day. Sometimes he plays a Zeta upright, sometimes a fretless bass, sometimes a 6 string.

Drums for my grandson are set-up in the back. Logan (my son) and Del sometimes work together on section riffs. One combo is Goden nylon, Goden fretless acoustic and percussion. One is XB-2 with motion sound, full drum trap and 6 string bass. that's where the C-1 Nord will come in.

Lot's of fun for the "old man"!

R.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/06/07 07:10 PM

Our daughter took piano lessons for a while, and our son played bass ... He actually played a couple of gigs with me when he was in high school ...
t.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/06/07 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Thanks, John. Actually, my grandson will be joining the group as drummer the first of the year. That will be a hoot. My other son runs our audio operation...setting up for us and me individually, handling our rental systems and working as announcer and DJ.
I'm really grateful...
R.

Russ ... a NEW group called "Generations" ???
t.
Posted by: trevorjohn

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/07/07 03:05 AM

Alas:: My children only play the fool !!!!
Posted by: Songman55

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/07/07 05:17 AM

My oldest son plays drums and played for me in various praise bands. My youngest son plays tenor sax in the Baltimore Marching Ravens band.

Ciao,

Joe

------------------
Songman55
Joe Ayala
Posted by: donpatt

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/07/07 09:08 AM

Tried to introduce my 9 year old twin grandsons to the accordion. They didn't come beack to visit me for a month!!

Seriously, give your kids easy access to your instruments, with in reason, and if their inclined they will take it up on their own, then lessons and tutoring can be discussed.

Re: What do your kids play? - 11/07/07 12:51 PM

You're right1 Give the kids access to the instruments. Then, if an interest develops naturally, do the lesson thing.

Good advice!

R.