midifile-smf format

Posted by: dud

midifile-smf format - 06/29/01 03:52 AM

hey!
my old g 800 can't read midifiles in all formats, is ther any free program that can convert smf format of midi file to the other format or the regular format to smf format?
(I have an old version of cubase but i'm not good with this program)
Posted by: Roel

Re: midifile-smf format - 06/29/01 05:11 AM

Hi dud,
As far as I know there is a format called "FORMAT0" (format zero) and "FORMAT1"

FORMAT 0 = only one track containing ALL midichannels .

FORMAT 1 = all midi-channels om separate tracks.

Cubase has an option 'mix down' to concentrate all tracks on one NEW track. If the conversion is done the original tracks can be deleted and with 'save as' or 'export to midifile' you got your FORMAT 0 file.

'Remix' in Cubase has the oposite action and 'decodes' one track (format0) to seperate tracks.

I hope this will help you ?

Roel
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: midifile-smf format - 06/29/01 08:24 AM

This is news to me. Roland should read both format 1 & 0. Are you sure it's not because of "more than 16 tracks". That's most likely the trouble. It may not read .KAR files either, but I'm almost positive it reads both midi file types. Fran, wanna field this?
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: midifile-smf format - 06/29/01 08:58 AM

Hi dud.

Check your e-mail and see if any of the enclosed stuff is for any help.
Good luck ;-)
GJ
Posted by: dud

Re: midifile-smf format - 06/30/01 03:45 AM

hey gues!
thank you GUNNAR for your mail.
the G 800 reads both formats 0 , 1 .
I think that the problem is that some midi files have more than 16 tracks as UNCLE DAVE said , and sometimes I get a message on the screen of the g 800 , that the arranger can't read the file because it is not
SMF file? what can I do to fix it ?
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: midifile-smf format - 06/30/01 08:58 AM

Hi Dud,
you said that you have an old version of Cubase, right?
So you simply launch Cubase, then LOAD your midifiles (or whatever they are) and SAVE them AS midifiles 0.
Your G 800 should then be able to read them.
Regards