Help for a newbie to arranger keys

Posted by: mikeathome1

Help for a newbie to arranger keys - 08/25/04 10:39 AM

Is there any info available about playing arranger keyboards maybe like book,a home study course? or video?
I saw the new demo for the psr 3000 and it showed me a little of what could be done with an arranger. I would like to see more demos in general, not model specific but tips and
tricks.
Like what are you playing with the right hand while you're singing.
For example what do you find the footswitch is most useful for, start/stop, effects, harmony?
I don't need music lessons or keyboard lessons or even theory, just tips from the pros about making my psr 2000, or any arranger, come alive in a live situation.
I guess I want tips on making my playing sound like professional arrangements.
I've been going to some of your web sites and you guys are doing some nice stuff. And you've already opened my mind to what can be done, now I want to know more.

I was in the process of reading all the old posts when the board went down.
I've played bass and guitar in bands for 30 years also been a singer.I have had an arranger board for alot of years first a psr 540 and now the 2000 but
I've always used them as sound sources for my midi files. Never really got into the
arranger part.

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com
Posted by: DonM

Re: Help for a newbie to arranger keys - 08/25/04 11:35 AM

We should discuss this topic more!
There are many valuable tips at www.psrtutorial.com
Best advice regarding the right hand is to listen to the song or type music you want to play and learn to emulate the instrument you are playing (guitar, piano, etc.).
The pitch-bend wheel is invaluable to me, particularly with guitar sounds. The newer keyboards have many effects, bends and variations built into the initial and/or aftertouch functions, and even into the sound itself.
It's a matter of listening, experimenting and practicing.
Regarding the footswitches, I use one for vocal harmony on/off, one for right-hand volume and one for Sustain. If you play a lot of organs, a leslie speed slow/fast would be usefull. Others use the footswitches for breaks, fills, variations changes, etc.
Be careful not to have too much going on. I often mute several style parts, especially the ones who use the instrument I'm playing with the right hand.
I really don't even think about what my right hand is doing when I'm singing. Probably should though!
I tend to let the right hand sound be too loud in relation to the other parts sometimes. I have to guard against this.
DonM www.donmasonmusic.com

[This message has been edited by DonM (edited 08-25-2004).]
Posted by: Starkeeper

Re: Help for a newbie to arranger keys - 08/25/04 12:07 PM

I would be interested in this type of information as well, but never found any. There is a crap load of info on how to play the piano, but not on how to play an arranger. If you find something, let us know. On commercial recording, I hear fills at the end of a singing phrase, but only drums and bass, when the singer is singing, sometimes a strumming guitar. The dominant instrument stays out of the singers way, when he/she is singing. This is not the case in a live situation.
Starkeeper

Re: Help for a newbie to arranger keys - 08/25/04 12:54 PM

I really enjoyed www.donmasonmusic.com I downloaded all your demo songs they are great. I need more of that. Your guitar emulation was just superb. You use a Tyros?

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com
Posted by: TyrosOwner

Re: Help for a newbie to arranger keys - 08/25/04 02:20 PM

Playing an arranger keyboard sometimes reminds me of what it is like to play an electric guitar. There is so many settings and options to adjust BESIDES playing music that it can be quite challenging to keep the performance smooth.

I think it would definitely help to have more tips and guidelines on how to build near-flawless performances on arranger keyboards.
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Help for a newbie to arranger keys - 08/25/04 02:33 PM

Here are some of my suggestions.....

1- dont look at your hands try to weed yourself from reading music sheets and improvise more often

2- treat both hands like two different people playing

3-Play RH sounds JUST LIKE A REAL MUSICIAN PLYING THAT INSTRUMENT WOULD PLAY IT NOT LIKE A KEYBOAD PIANO PLAYER

4-dont look at your hands try to play with a blindfold as an excericse!

5- practice practice practice as much as possible

6- go watch and absorb other people playing arranger kbs in your area

7-ask question on forums

8-practice your TIMING BIG TIME use a metronome if needed specially in betwen variations, fills, & sound changes

9-"LOVE" PLAYING EVERYDAY music is an expression of your inner soul!!!
Posted by: Starkeeper

Re: Help for a newbie to arranger keys - 08/25/04 02:54 PM

"Here are some of my suggestions.....
1- dont look at your hands try to weed yourself from reading music sheets and improvise more often"
I hate reading music (not good at it either) and love improvising. Since you suggested it, then that's what I'll do.
"-"LOVE" PLAYING EVERYDAY music is an expression of your inner soul!!!"
Oh yea!!.
Excellent advise.
Starkeeper
Posted by: DonM

Re: Help for a newbie to arranger keys - 08/25/04 03:43 PM

I'm using a Tyros now. Some of the songs were on Tyros, some on PSR, some on X1.
Thanks!
Don

Quote:
Originally posted by mikeathome1:
I really enjoyed www.donmasonmusic.com I downloaded all your demo songs they are great. I need more of that. Your guitar emulation was just superb. You use a Tyros?

Posted by: Merrill Ainsworth

Re: Help for a newbie to arranger keys - 08/28/04 11:13 AM

Mikeathome1 and Starkeeper

You might find of interest a newly released
book entitled "100 Tips For keyboards(You
Should Have Been Told", bu John Dutton.

It is published in London by Sanctuary Publishing, Ltd., and includes a tutorial and demonstration CD.

It starts on the basic side but includes some useful information.

I procured my copy through Amazon.

MerrillAinsworth@cox.net

Re: Help for a newbie to arranger keys - 08/28/04 11:58 AM

thanks Merrill I'm gonna go look that up now.
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: Help for a newbie to arranger keys - 08/28/04 12:58 PM

Here's a simple tip.

Pick one of your favorite songs and practice that song until you can play it in your sleep. Then, once you get bored with it, try new voicings, embellishments, different styles, fills, breaks, etc.

Also, you MUST know your keyboard intuitively. Every button and feature must become second nature and you must learn to press those buttons between beats or pauses in the music.

Al
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Help for a newbie to arranger keys - 08/28/04 02:16 PM

My friend....Im playing since I was 7yrs old...I'm 52 ...thats 45yrs of playing music & 32 yrs of that is professionaly...
And guess what....at todays gig I learned something new!!! Its a LIFELONG process of learning, absorbing, creating, practicing, & Loving your Instrument & Talent to the Max.....It never ends, there is no simple formulas, we all do it different....
I wish you luck in your Musical Journey my friend...but remember, one thing is guaranteed.....when you finally arrive it will all be worth it in a way I can't describe in words to you!!

Music is a Magical Thing ....
.....& YOUR the Magician!

Re: Help for a newbie to arranger keys - 08/29/04 08:23 AM

Thanks guys for all the help. I'd like to know how you use the registration buttons. I know what the manual says but I mean you pro's, if you don't mind, how do you find them most useful.

------------------
qqqwq@hotmail.com